A mad idea: visiting all the countries in the world in alphabetical order.

What's Hot
octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
edited December 2018 in Off Topic
I'm having the floors polished at the moment, which has forced me into dining room exile, surrounded by all our stuff, with just a laptop for company.

I happened upon a list of people by the most countries travelled here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_by_number_of_countries_visited

So we have some very well travelled people indeed in this list but I don't think anyone has ever visited all the countries in alphabetical order.
I wonder if this is even possible?

The biggest stumbling block would appear to be going from Nigeria to North Korea and then to Norway.
I wonder if some massive corporation would sponsor such folly?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don’t think the travel would be that hard as long as you’re allowed to transit. 

But getting visas might might become quite difficult after you complete the holy triumvirate of Iran, Iraq, Israel. At least you’d get to have a beer in Ireland somewhere in amongst!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    If you were from Northern Ireland you probably get around it with some planning using both your Irish and British passports depending on diplomatic relations
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    You don’t happen to have a friend called wowbagger do you? 
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I feel there are countries I'd not want to visit... North Korea might be fascinating, but...
    Iran might have a lot of history, but...
    Syria might have stunning scenery, but... 

With my degree I could get treated as a spy with ease so countries with paranoid governments might not like me. What with my tenancies towards munching carpet some countries could imprison or beat me. With my gender some countries might beat me/rape me... And that's before white foreigner comes into it and countries where such often get kidnapped for ransom.

Some of the world is a horrible place... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't go cycling in the Middle East.

Bye!

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    If you want to visit every country - even though it breaks up the alphabetical thing, it’s probably best to leave Colombia and Mexico ‘til last,
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Unfortunately you have already started out of sequence. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited December 2018
    Veganic said:
    So what you are saying is I need to go to Afghanistan, get a woman there pregnant (risky behaviour), then raise the child to adulthood never letting him or her leave Afghanistan until they are an adult and then sponsor them to do the challenge for me?

Hmmmm....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    Veganic said:
    So what you are saying is I need to go to Afghanistan, get a woman there pregnant (risky behaviour), then raise the child to adulthood never letting him or her leave Afghanistan until they are an adult and then sponsor them to do the challenge for me?

Hmmmm....
    By that point, Abkhazia will be a recognised country and your efforts will be worthless.
    I think it would be an interesting thing to do if you slackened the rules a bit - you can return to your home country any time, and also go through previously visited countries on your way to another.

My wife an I are doing an A-Z of European cities, with the intention of taking in some less popular ones. So far we've done Athens (instead of Amsterdam), Budapest (instead of a multitude of interesting options) and Copenhagen (we struggled to find others that we could do).

D is likely to be Dubrovnik. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    well it sure beats Dartford
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12346
    Dominic said:
    well it sure beats Dartford
    Derby?