Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bass VI ?

What's Hot
TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
I'm primarily a guitarist in a riff-driven stoner rock band, playing in Eb and Drop C#. We've been struggling to find a reliable bassist so at the minute we're looking into octave pedals etc to split the signal into a bass amp. 

I've just come across the Squier Bass VI and was wondering if this might work for us instead? Neither me or the other guitarist are too keen on taking up bass full time so was wondering if this would make a fun halfway house? It's mostly the string spacing and huge neck I can't deal with on a real bass, the VI seems to solve that?

To be honest I'm mostly just interested because the VI is cool and unique, could give us a bit of a different sound and be a bit of fun. My idea was to split the signal into my guitar amp (via EQ pedal to tame some low end) and into a fuzz and bass amp. I know I'd have to change up my playing style and chords a bit but that's not the end of the world. A lot of our stuff is single string riffing where the bass follows the guitar anyway.

In reality I expect it'd be more convenient to just get an OC3, but Bass VI seems like so much fun!  Shame the Harley Benton one is discontinued. What's the FB opinion on these - is it a "guitarists bass" or just a big compromise?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    It is usually best to regard the Fender/Squier Bass VI as a baritone instrument. The string spacing is pretty tight with such heavy string gauges. 

In my opinion, it would be wiser to invest in either a medium scale four string bass guitar or a full scale six string bass. 

Octave up tracking tends to work more reliably than octave down. 

The forum village bicycle HB Mosrite-alike baritone guitar is currently in the possession of @jamesoliver1234 ;
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24249
    I have no idea why you don't want to swap to bass. It's by far the most important instrument.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    In reality I expect it'd be more convenient to just get an OC3
    @TTBZ if you need a OC3 I've one going spare, I was going to put it up for sale after Christmas
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    It's a big compromise, and quite limiting in my opinion - they sound great, but for quite a narrow range of sounds and styles... it suits that stereotypical baritone 'Twin Peaks' type of sound, but for me it fell between the two in terms of being able to play normal bass or guitar parts on. But I play both guitar and bass in a quite conventional way, so I may not be the best person to judge that.

If you're interested in doing something different and interesting it might be the very thing you need - you probably need to try it. They're not too expensive and seem to sell well second hand, so not much risk.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Placebo used one on their first album - there should be some good reading about it on the web somewhere.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    I have no idea why you don't want to swap to bass. It's by far the most important instrument.
    I know...just find it really boring for some reason. I just have more fun on guitar and that's what it's all about isn't it?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579

TTBZ said:
    I know...just find it really boring for some reason. I just have more fun on guitar and that's what it's all about isn't it?
    It absolutely is! Funnily enough I do sort of agree with you that guitar can be much more interesting - certainly at home noodling about.

But for me I find gigging bass to be so much more fun. Horses, courses etc etc 
    TTBZ said:
    True enough.

But boring is all about the composition. Upgrade your bass lines!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been back and forth on guitar and bass over the years and now I prefer playing bass I think.

Barely touch it at home, and play/write on guitar still, but for your style of music - find a decent 4 string bass and a good fat drive pedal and bass is just as much fun to play.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    The Cure were big on the Bass VI, but they didn't use it for bass!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    I think OLP did a cheaper version of the Ernie Ball Silhouette bass.

They were supposed to be pretty good - could be tuned A-A or E-E with EB's own strings for it.

The problem with going lower is whether you will be able to intonate for it.
  • TTBZ said:
    I'm primarily a guitarist in a riff-driven stoner rock band, playing in Eb and Drop C#. We've been struggling to find a reliable bassist so at the minute we're looking into octave pedals etc to split the signal into a bass amp. 

I've just come across the Squier Bass VI and was wondering if this might work for us instead? Neither me or the other guitarist are too keen on taking up bass full time so was wondering if this would make a fun halfway house? It's mostly the string spacing and huge neck I can't deal with on a real bass, the VI seems to solve that?

To be honest I'm mostly just interested because the VI is cool and unique, could give us a bit of a different sound and be a bit of fun. My idea was to split the signal into my guitar amp (via EQ pedal to tame some low end) and into a fuzz and bass amp. I know I'd have to change up my playing style and chords a bit but that's not the end of the world. A lot of our stuff is single string riffing where the bass follows the guitar anyway.

In reality I expect it'd be more convenient to just get an OC3, but Bass VI seems like so much fun!  Shame the Harley Benton one is discontinued. What's the FB opinion on these - is it a "guitarists bass" or just a big compromise?
    Have you come across Tweak Bird? 

Stoner band, 2 piece. Drums and a Bass VI

So to answer your question, I'm sure a Bass VI can be used. 
    edited December 2018
    TTBZ said:
    True enough.

Yep very good point. When I'm on a bass I'm very much a guitarist playing bass rather than a particularly inventive bass player. Although I always thought I should have been a bass player as I hate being the show off centre of attention on stage - prefer sticking to rhythm guitar at the minute. But then band is also a good excuse to go crank my amp up for a few hours - no such fun just playing bass

I'm gonna try and find a Bass VI or Silhouette to have a play on and see what I think. In the meantime I'll settle for trying an octave pedal.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    TTBZ said:
    TTBZ said:
    True enough.

Yep very good point. When I'm on a bass I'm very much a guitarist playing bass rather than a particularly inventive bass player. Although I always thought I should have been a bass player as I hate being the show off centre of attention on stage - prefer sticking to rhythm guitar at the minute. But then band is also a good excuse to go crank my amp up for a few hours - no such fun just playing bass :)
    No fun in cranking a bass amp??! Get outta here! :)

You haven’t cranked an amp till you’ve maxed an Ampeg SVT with 8x10 and watched people have involuntary bowel movements at your discretion..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    The one time I got to crank a VBA head through matching cab was pretty special. The same can't be said for rehearsal room bass amps though :)
  • Yo La Tengo play a Bass VI live sometimes, and it's great, but I noticed their bass player was playing power chords mainly.
    No reason why you couldn't use one, and then get a decent capo for some tunes. This would open things up creatively, or use capos on 4 string basses.
    Jon Spencer Blues Explosion have no bass player and sound great.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    Some people use Bass pedals

I've tried various Bass VI type instruments
    as people have advised, they are more of a baritone

4 string bass is the easiest option I think
    Realistically, that has been the most popular choice since day one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well the OC3 arrived today, not sure if it's going to work just yet as through amplitube it's very synth sounding - to be fair some reviews did say that so I should have expected it. We'll see how it sounds at rehearsal through my fuzz and a proper bass amp. Nice and easy implementation though, with the built in split function (which mutes the bass when bypassed) and my LPB1 at the end of my guitar chain turned all the way down, I can choose to mute either path independently.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    The Fender Bass VI is really an instrument in it's own right.

I have a Squier one which I use to add a different 'flavour' to the sound. I can't imagine using it as my only bass (I know Jack Bruce did, but he was Jack Bruce!).

It has a particular sound which (for me) doesn't quite nail the bass sound I want. Great fun though and very useful for recording, but just not a proper bass guitar.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28114
    There's that mid-scale 6-er that @fretwired (I think) has. An Ibanez. It'll go to proper bass frequencies, but is tuned like a guitar.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."