Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bass VI ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Sporky said:
    There's that mid-scale 6-er that @fretwired (I think) has. An Ibanez. It'll go to proper bass frequencies, but is tuned like a guitar.
    Yes I do - Ibanez SRC6 Short Scale Bass. Lovely instrument.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    Very interesting. Hard to tell if I'd like it as that kind of music is so far removed from what we're playing. But I've heard some stoner bands using the VI (like Tweak Bird and Eagle Twin) which sounds pretty cool.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28117
    Fretwired said:
    Sporky said:
    There's that mid-scale 6-er that @fretwired (I think) has. An Ibanez. It'll go to proper bass frequencies, but is tuned like a guitar.
    Yes I do - Ibanez SRC6 Short Scale Bass. Lovely instrument.

That's the one I was thinking of.

I keep having a little look on t'bay and t'reverb but no luck yet.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5735
    The Squier six is a fab way to get into that baritone/hybrid world. Well made for the price and huge fun to play. 

If you’re going to gig a lot with it you’d probably want to upgrade to something  made with higher quality parts but the Squier will completely get under your skin. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Sporky said:
    I’m struggling to grasp what you mean about the tuning. Is it EADGBE? If so, is it an octave down from a guitar, like the VI? Or something like ADGCEA like some baritones? Hoping @Fretwired can help.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6791
    mart said:
    Sporky said:
    I’m struggling to grasp what you mean about the tuning. Is it EADGBE? If so, is it an octave down from a guitar, like the VI? Or something like ADGCEA like some baritones? Hoping @Fretwired can help.
    It’s tuned EADGBE so same as a bass VI, but spacing is similar to a guitar. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    That seems like a lot of fun. Suppose I'll have to make a trip to Andertons or something to find one to have a go on. Doesn't seem like it'd be standard guitar shop stock!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6791
    TTBZ said:
    That seems like a lot of fun. Suppose I'll have to make a trip to Andertons or something to find one to have a go on. Doesn't seem like it'd be standard guitar shop stock!
    I’ve got one and am based near Northampton. Let me know if you want to pop over and try it out, also have an OC3 to compare it to.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I had a Squier VM VI. Took some fettling by @ICBM to make it playable but once done was OK with the right strings. I sold it fairly soon though, I felt it was neither fish nor fowl. I’d rather have a proper baritone (like the Versoul Raya Bari I was dumb enough to sell many years ago). The Reverend baritones sounds great for that fat heavy riffing.
  • I had a Squier VM VI. Took some fettling by @ICBM to make it playable but once done was OK with the right strings. I sold it fairly soon though, I felt it was neither fish nor fowl. I’d rather have a proper baritone (like the Versoul Raya Bari I was dumb enough to sell many years ago). The Reverend baritones sounds great for that fat heavy riffing.
    That was my experience too. 
    I play bass/rhythm guitar & thought it’d be a fun thing to have... it is, but I couldn’t work out what it was FOR- apart from Royal Blood esque nonsense. 
    I loved hitting Bass notes & then chords up the neck. 

The strings that come with the Squier are awful, you need to go up a Guage or two to make it playable (& set it up accordingly). I found the Squier to be much better than the Fender equivalent (Pawn shop?).

like others have said- I’d suggest buying an affordable bass and play that. I also prefer gigging on bass to guitar, but play more guitar at home. 
    mart said:
    Sporky said:
    It's tuned a full octave below a standard guitar but is tuned EADGBE just like a regular guitar. It has a hybrid set of strings. The magic is in the EQ and the EMG pickups. You can make it sound like a bass or a guitar or (as in the video)something in between.

Or metal ...