I quite fancy a telecaster...

What's Hot

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    I love my 50s Baja, I'll never part with it, I did have a vintage blonde / rosewood 2017 Squier Standard , that was just stupidly good for little money. The S1 on the Baja for me is a waste of time, I don't use it at all.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    But yeah, get a Tele, you will love it, even if you hate it you will love it.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • There are basically an infinite number of telecaster models so i wouldn't bother trying to pick on spec or online- I'd just go and play as many as you can and pick the one that speaks to you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7751

I even built him a "Telecaster" . . . *sigh*
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Was going to wait until the spring to sell this

https://imgur.com/a/T0Kac9t

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    There are basically an infinite number of telecaster models so i wouldn't bother trying to pick on spec or online- I'd just go and play as many as you can and pick the one that speaks to you. 
    You can narrow the field with a few neck prefs - radius, med jumbo/vintage frets, C/U/D neck shape etc.
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    The only thing to be wary about with the Baja's is their weight , some are absolute anchors and I know you're not keen on that kind of "heavy" .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    The classic 50s and 60s models are nice too.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Yes, indeed, the 50s one ish the ash/maple twang machine of the two.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    You are joining the club of those who ‘know’ that a Tele really can do most things.
    Im increasingly coming to this conclusion. My electric collection is as low as it has been in a while at just 3. The American vintage 52 tele is the one I consistently reach for, over an R8 and a nice figured ES-335. Light and comfortable to play seated or standing. Pickups are great. Neck profile is perfect. The only thing I’ll probably change in the future is slightly taller frets when it needs re-fretted.
  • I am acutally selling my only Tele at the moment and keeping the Les Paul. don't get me wrong they are great guitars but mine personally just doesn't feel as ''right" as the LP, and I'm also not sure you can get a Tele to sound like an LP either (although others say you can).

I'd suggest Baja for your budget, or Squirt CV and see how you go.
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    I love my tele too. Its an American Special version. 

I'm predominantly a 'metal' or hard rock guy, and my main axe is a cheaper Ltd explorer with emgs.. but generally anything pointy or superstrat is what I feel at home on. 

The tele is wildy different.. but yet familiar. 

Then again it has texas specials, so probably less twangy and more grit, but even so, covers a good amount of ground. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I often fancy a Tele purely cause it's such a beautiful classic design.

But since the guitar player in my band switched to a Tele from a Les Paul he sometimes has the most horrible ear-piercing tone that goes right through me and feels like a needle's being stuck in my brain.

So pop along to our next gig and save some money!

Disclaimer: to anyone not wanting to be put off Telecasters, we sound great!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Another reason why a Tele is a good choice (from about 1.10):

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I bought a modern player tele MIM with H/H pickups for around £450.00 new a couple of years ago. Great sound and very well finished. The neck and frets felt great.
  • Mark1960 said:
    I bought a modern player tele MIM with H/H pickups for around £450.00 new a couple of years ago. Great sound and very well finished. The neck and frets felt great.
    Could you mean MIM player Tele? I thought the Modern Player series were made in China. 
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Mark1960 said:
    Could you mean MIM player Tele? I thought the Modern Player series were made in China. 
    Only Squiers are made in China, no?

• fftc said:
    Mark1960 said:
    Only Squiers are made in China, no?

Apparently not. 
    https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/fender-modern-player-telecaster-plus-556503

Scroll to the specs at the bottom-
    country of origin: China

I believe they're made in the same place as the Squier CV line (and my Jazzmaster Deluxe- which is brilliant)! 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I only have Teles now! Never saw that happening - although I know they are not "proper" Single coil....I'll get that too eventually :)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Vaiai said:
    I only have Teles now! Never saw that happening - although I know they are not "proper" Single coil....I'll get that too eventually :)

I've wondered what people prefer about Teles over Strats if it's not to get the signature Tele tone from the bridgeplate pickup?

Isn't the Strat body more comfortable?