I quite fancy a telecaster...

What's Hot

Comments

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    a proper maple twangy country music telecaster.

Talk me out of it!

Or failing that - tell me about the good ones!
    so do I though more rocky than country. (reference: various Springsteen album covers).

main problem though is my lush LP Classic goldtop. I only want one "that's gorgeousI want to hold it" guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Talk me out of it!

Its not a Les Paul
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Talk me out of it!

Its not a Les Paul
    That’s a GOOD thing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82 said:
    You are joining the club of those who ‘know’ that a Tele really can do most things.
    Im increasingly coming to this conclusion. My electric collection is as low as it has been in a while at just 3. The American vintage 52 tele is the one I consistently reach for, over an R8 and a nice figured ES-335. Light and comfortable to play seated or standing. Pickups are great. Neck profile is perfect. The only thing I’ll probably change in the future is slightly taller frets when it needs re-fretted.

My 52RI is my no 1.  It's getting close to needing some fretwork too and I am also considering something a little larger.  Even without the fret change it is still brill.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Mark1960 said:
    I bought a modern player tele MIM with H/H pickups for around £450.00 new a couple of years ago. Great sound and very well finished. The neck and frets felt great.
    Could you mean MIM player Tele? I thought the Modern Player series were made in China. 
    Probably it was definitely MIM though!
  • Mark1960 said:
    Mark1960 said:
    I bought a modern player tele MIM with H/H pickups for around £450.00 new a couple of years ago. Great sound and very well finished. The neck and frets felt great.
    Could you mean MIM player Tele? I thought the Modern Player series were made in China. 
    Probably it was definitely MIM though!
    i have a fender modern player tele, definately made in china. lovely guitar
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    edited December 2018
    Fair Deal music had a Ronnie Wood esp Tele for @£450 (they reckoned it was over 50%off..?.)on Black Friday, I was tempted but don’t  know enough about teles and couldn’t get to try one.
    Did I miss a great deal or dodge a bullet?

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    Vaiai said:
    I only have Teles now! Never saw that happening - although I know they are not "proper" Single coil....I'll get that too eventually :)

Both look superb, but especially the top one. What is it? Suhr?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • I've quite fancied a telecaster for years....  and then suddenly on a whim last month, I asked for trades on an out of favour guitar (MIJ Charvel Pro Mod So Cal) with a Telecaster on a local FB group and ended up with this: 

2015 MIM Std 

I changed the pickguard to 3 ply black as a matter of urgency. The pickups and wiring will be upgraded next month, then I will start gigging with it.  I thought I'd miss having a whammy bar but I don't. 

If you fancy one then go for it - what's the worst that could happen? 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23954
    I've quite fancied a telecaster for years....  and then suddenly on a whim last month, I asked for trades on an out of favour guitar (MIJ Charvel Pro Mod So Cal) with a Telecaster on a local FB group and ended up with this: 

2015 MIM Std 

I changed the pickguard to 3 ply black as a matter of urgency. The pickups and wiring will be upgraded next month, then I will start gigging with it.  I thought I'd miss having a whammy bar but I don't. 

If you fancy one then go for it - what's the worst that could happen? 

That's a nice looking guitar!
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

ITT: vile six-saddle-bridge heretics!

You will be punished!

Witness what happened to the town where they made the first six-saddle Tele bridge:

https://www.tate.org.uk/sites/default/files/images/john_martin_the_destruction_of_sodom_0.jpg

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2208
    I bought a 1970's Made in Japan "Fresher" recently for £120. I swapped out the bridge pick up to a twin rail one, put decent tuners on it, and it's fantastic now.

Currently my favourite to play...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    a proper maple twangy country music telecaster. Might have about £500 to play with, once I've sold a few bits. 
    Might be wiser to hold out until your budget is big enough to nab an American guitar.
    Be seeing you.
  • a proper maple twangy country music telecaster. Might have about £500 to play with, once I've sold a few bits. 
    Might be wiser to hold out until your budget is big enough to nab an American guitar.
    Yes. If you're serious about getting that classic Tele twang you can't just get any Tele. The MIM vintage spec ones (can't remember the model name) are pretty good. A used American Standard can be had for £600-700 if you shop around, but the pickups changed over the years so you'd need to try it.
    It's all about the pickups really - avoid anything 'hot' eg Texas Specials. You need nice lowish output vintage-spec (or close to it) pickups for THAT sound. Play at low volume and it might sound thin, turn up a bit so that amp is just about breaking up and it should really start to growl and snap. 
    The Tele in my sig is a AV 64 reissue with ash body and has the classic Tele sound dead-on.

i haven't played any of the new range of Teles (Professional, Performer) etc but some might fit the bill. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    £500 might be a bit light for a USA one, but easily get you a s/h MIM model.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Mexican Lacquer series is definitely worth looking at, great guitars, vintage feel and finished in Nitro 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Push the budget a little and get a well played AVRI 52. They are not all equal, so play it first, can't really go wrong if you buy it right you can get your money back later.
    You'll be asked to pay more for minty examples with certs and hand tags, but get a players one and play it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Might have about £500 to play with once I've sold a few bits.

Quite happy to buy used.
    I've just bought a battered (looked like the body was used for knocing in fence posts) mim Tele for £300, pulled out the old harness, lined the cavity with copper tape and wired in a new one from James' Home of Tone and it sounds and plays amazing.
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    watch out for the necks on Baja's - the one I had was pretty huge! Great guitars though if you can find one with a neck/weight you can live with.
  • Bill_SBill_S Frets: 103
    DeeTee said:
    Go and play a few! I don't say this to be facetious. The Classic Vibe necks divide opinion, so that might turn you off. The bridge pickup in most Teles are too shrill for some, so that might ruin it for you. The neck pickup is too bland for others, so that could scotch the entire thing. Upper fret access isn't great for others, so that could be the final nail in the coffin.

Or you might find the very one for you, and you know for sure that you want the thing. But at least you'll know!
    I’ve always fancied a Tele too, but this has made me realise me I don’t know the first thing about them and probably put me off...not necessarily a bad thing from a GAS viewpoint