Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How has your guitar playing changed over the years?

What's Hot
How has your guitar playing changed over the years?

It sounds silly, but I'm using more chords. lol.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Been more accurate with rhythm and tighter with my timing (plays lots of metalcore and its must for that style as well as others). Soloing I've been working on improving my phrasing instead of random nonsense or scale like playing.
  • One thing I’ve noticed recently is that when I tried to work out somebody else’s song or guitar part, I used to only be partly successful - I’d get the main part but would almost always fail to get the whole thing. There was one chord I just couldn’t work out, or something similar. In the last couple of years I’ve been able to sit down and work almost anything out I’ve wanted to. Very satisfying!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Nowadays I play a lot more chords between the 5th and 12th frets, both barred and partial. A lot of the chord shapes just use the middle strings. The other difference is that I now use a plectrum because my nails wear too quickly for the style of music I’ve been playing.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I don't use a Floyd rose anymore
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to play the guitar, but now i turn knobs on pedals for a couple of hours.
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    I used to study..now I just collect gear. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    It sounds silly, but I'm using more chords. lol.
    Funnily enough, I’m now using fewer chords. I used to be strictly rhythm, but now I’m learning how to make it cry or sing with a bit of lead playing. So far all I’ve achieved is making the cat cry, but I figure it’s a step in the right direction.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I've nearly learnt the Natural Minor scale including all the intervals.

At this rate I'll know every minor scale back the time I'm 121 years old and I can then just focus on making music. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    I'm not really arsed about improving my lead playing any more. It'd be nice to be able to do it as well as I used to, but I'm more interested in rhythm and riffs now! After god knows how many years I've finally sat down and got the hang of chord inversions, I wish I learnt about this years ago!
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Amp's gain knob is on 3/4 instead of full blast.

Sometimes seriously considering turning it down some more.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Less speed more taste
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I’m faster than I’ve ever been but tend to be more economical with it.
    I’m much more jazz/fusion and less metal.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I now play bass.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I started out playing the latest pop hits of the day, mostly electric, then got a good acoustic and wrote some songs, got into a string of bands, took a break  for a few years and got back into the cover band scene.  Got a bass and studied that for a while, took another break and hit the bar band scene again.  I cracked one night after playing "Mony Mony" for the 300th time that year and quit.  Traded one of my electrics(an SG) for a classical guitar and spent a couple years studying classical and flamenco.  Performed classical and flamenco extensively for 10 years during which time I played bass in a heavy rock trio for a year on the side .  Took a 10 year hiatus, now I'm playing steel string acoustic and lapsteel in a laid back part time, folky sort of band, so,  not much really.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    First learned as a kid and learned the basic chords, few tunes and a basic scale (never really learned to use it though).

For the next 20 years I'd occasionally go through spells of practising for a month then leaving it for a good few but never got any further. Got a lot more seriously in to playing keys and writing and recording music in general and did occasionally use my basic guitar playing to add bits to that but it was very rough playing, no attention to detail or nuances.

Then 3 years ago I bought my first decent guitar and practically dedicated all my spare time to learning as much as I can and I did progress quickly - I think the general music knowledge and timing from the keyboards helped a lot and I suppose the 20 years of on-off basic practising probably helped.

In the past 6 months to a year though I feel guilty of stalling my progress by wasting time obsessing over tone and which pickups, amp models/settings etc. Think I've only learned about a half dozen significant new techniques in H2 of this year.

Think this sorts out my new year's resolution!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    I started off by being obsessed with guitar solos and how to play interesting patterns over changes, nowadays I'm almost exclusively a rhythm guitarist and much prefer it. 

If lead guitar felt like a whole world of exploration, rhythm guitar is a universe. 

I still obsess over where I sit in the mix and how to get boosts and overdrives to do exactly what I want, forgetting that I play almost exactly 40 seconds of lead guitar in a three hour set!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    My playing has totally changed, for years I was in original bands where I sounded like me, now play in a covers band in quite a rock style which is very different
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    I've learnt that the knobs on the guitar are not in fact there for show and to be changed for personalisation; but can actually be used to change the sounds you can make and not just left on 10.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I feel myself taking incremental steps every now and again. It's nothing I'm doing particularly, just things seem to click. I'm not having lessons or anything but things like CAGED just seem to make sense in my head now whereas I struggled with them initially.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    I use the knobs more. I play over more of the neck.
    I'm getting worse.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom