Stupid question alert: Line level or instrument level

HaychHaych Frets: 5628

Apologies if this is an idiotic question, but how do I know whether any Fx pedals, multi FX etc works at line level or instrument level?

Thanks (sheepishly) in advance.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    edited December 2018
    Pedals for guitar use will typically work at instrument level.
    Rack mounted stuff tends to default to line level (to use with mixing desks etc.) Some time and modulation stuff is better used in send/return loops so may be line level by default even if it's pedal.
    But just because the technical answer is one thing doesn't mean you can't get great sounds with the other! Although things like buffers and up front gain devices can change the signal levels required anyway.
    The specifications may well give you a clue on specific devices.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5628
    Thanks @ESBlonde. I know little about all this stuff. I’ll need to find out though as I want to use some FX with my amp and by all accounts it’s designed to work at line level. 

I’ll have to get googling. 

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    edited December 2018
    Some can work at both (there will be a switch). Rack stuff usually (I think one of my Alesis units has it).
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    @Haych what amp is it? I used a Morley Line Level Corrector with my Soldano-designed Jet City 100w head with great results, allowing me to use instrument level FX in a line level loop. 
  • Which amp, and which effects?

Before I had the Helix, I used these pedals with the line-level loop in my Jet City:

TC Flashback (normal, Mini and X4)
    TC Hall of Fame
    Eventide Time Factor
    Hardwire DL-8

There are more that can do it - most of the expensive (>£200) delay pedals are just fine, and most multi-effects units can handle it with a bit of configuration. Also, the Digitech GSP1101 has a mode specifically for 4CM with a line-level loop (including the wizard if you're using the C63 firmware).
    <space for hire>
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5628
    Haha, yes it's a JCA50H.  The effects are mostly stuff like TC flashback, Digitech Polara, Carl Martin Surf Trem and I do have a MojoHand Recoil which I may use too - I've never actually tried them in the FX loop yet, at the moment I don't use the amp much but hopefully that's going to change soon :)

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    Let me know how you get on, if there's a problem with your effects I no longer have a use for my level corrector.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited December 2018
    As I now use a Vox Tonelab through the desk it takes only a couple of seconds to switch between amp and line out modes.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)