Keyboard/Synth set up.

paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
edited December 2018 in Other Instruments
Just a pic of the keyboard "station" with its latest addition.  All I really want now, is a Roland TR-8s .... and maybe a Blofeld later just because.

https://i.imgur.com/w0dmDRg.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm with ya!

Studio https://imgur.com/a/ryVtCe3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1562
    Nice rig!
  • @horse ;

Im reasonably happy....

The RD takes care of all traditional keys sounds - pianos, EPs, clavs, mallets etc - and also the organ tones (drawbars) - though they are controlled via the FAs synth action board.   The pads/strings are also fine for layering.

The FA has better orchestral tones (from the EXP card downloads), has a better synth engine so covers basic synth tones (it lacks a proper mod matrix, and is limited in LFOs as well, but its fine for most non evolving/pulsating sounds).   It also has the sequencer and programmable arpegiator (though there is only 1 which is a shame).

The Peak has 4 LFOs and 3 Env filters (one being dedicated to the amp env, but can also be assigned to other things as well), full on real time control, and a more basic arpegiator (if I need more complex stuff I can send the FAs pattern).

I have the FAs midi out going to the peak (on channel 3) then out of the Peaks thu port to the RD (on channel 2) - so the FAs board controls peak on pad 3 and organs sounds from the RD on pad 2.  the RDs Midi out goes to the FAs in - so I can layer FA sounds onto the RDs - or I can play FA tones if the FA itself is playing the peak.

The only niggle I have is drums - the RD has only preset patterns, and the FAs kits are limited.  Id like a drum machine or poly step sequencer (with in built drum tones) that I can program drum tracks on.  I do have one in Reaper - but I cant take that live (should I need to).

Cant seem to find anything though - I want realistic acoustic drum sounds not typical analogue drum machine sounds - so not sure.... Korg Electribe would work as the seq, but not convinced n the drum sounds.  A Digitakt might work as its a sampler, but the drum  sounds Ive heard on demos arnt that great really.  Its also a little expensive really.  The TR8s is also great for live use, but again the drum sounds are typical Roland electronic tones not realistic (from what Ive heard).

Its not critical - but it will niggle until I get that part sorted.  A multi midi channel, Poly sequencer, with in build realistic acoustic drum sounds is what I need, just cant find one in budget.

• horsehorse Frets: 1562
    Depends on what you envisage doing live I suppose.

In a band context I've got away with just my little electro 5d for the last few years and have been able to mask it's shortcomings so far.

Joined a crowded house tribute this year and will probably expand to using 2 boards stacked for that in the new year as it will help with a couple of the tracks, and also I should have plenty of room on stage and time to set up and it will look more authentic.

Of course it's different if you're thinking of going out live providing 80-100% of the arrangements yourself though, and again I suppose your requirements then depend on how much you want to be able to improvise / be creative in the moment. I've never really looked into that side of things.

I'll confess that I do sometimes find myself mentally planning kit purchases on the basis of scenarios that may never actually happen or be needed!

My main enjoyment with synths recently has been messing with pads / mod matrix to create soundscapes that take on a bit of a life of their own - self indulgent but I find it quite relaxing. Occasionally wonder if the audiences at small ambient gigs would appreciate hearing it or not!
  • horse said:

I'll confess that I do sometimes find myself mentally planning kit purchases on the basis of scenarios that may never actually happen or be needed!

My main enjoyment with synths recently has been messing with pads / mod matrix to create soundscapes that take on a bit of a life of their own - self indulgent but I find it quite relaxing. Occasionally wonder if the audiences at small ambient gigs would appreciate hearing it or not!
    Both of those.....  The second is why Im loving the peak - with its expanded LFO count in the last FW update (and adding an FX Mod matrix as well - so those LFOs can control FX parameters).

The first is my main problem..... Chances of playing out and providing the drum tracks is minimal at best.  Its more an easy way to create drum tracks for recording (never managed to get a grip of doing that in the Daw), and the ability to play around with patterns free style (again just for recording though) as I can with the peak.   Its not that high on my list though - an AFX 3 is now top of the "get next" list.  Ive spent a year on the keys rig with no guitar orientated changes.