What Strings

GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2347
edited December 2018 in Bass tFB Trader
In the New Year I'm going to be building 2 short scale basses (30"  scale). They are going to be used at Chickenshed for youngsters between 8 to 10 years to learn on.  I was wondering if anybody could recommend what sort of strings to use,  as I think they might need  low tension flat wounds. Any recommendations  will be helpful.

I will write a build diary of the construction of these. As they are going to be freebies I'm planning  on using any B grade bodies and necks that I have. As I've only got top of the range hardware in stock I'm going to try some budget machine heads and bridges from Northwest Guitars.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3040
    edited December 2018
    [amusing post pointing out that @gspbasses had written "Stings" rather than "Strings" no longer relevant as he corrected the mis-typing]

Wasps, bees, nettles, etc.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2347
    tFB Trader
    Wasps, bees, nettles, etc.
    Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Either Thomastik jazz flats or La Bella low tension flats.

Might also be worth considering some tapewounds as they feel pretty good too. 
    Shame they are short scale - I have a set of thomastiks you could have had but they are full scale. 
  • Why low tension flatwounds? On a 30" scale, the strings will be floppier than an overcooked frankfurter anyway, so I'd suggest using a more standard tension to at least give the kids a fighting chance at actually being able to play the things.
    Why low tension flatwounds? On a 30" scale, the strings will be floppier than an overcooked frankfurter anyway, so I'd suggest using a more standard tension to at least give the kids a fighting chance at actually being able to play the things.
    Low tension flats cut for short scale will be no different to long scale flats.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    I would use standard Rotosound Roto Bass 45-105. They're cheap, sound great, are softer on the fingers than the Swing Bass, last a long time and work perfectly on my 30"-scale Mustang Bass.

They will fit better if you use through-body stringing like the Mustang - which adds an inch and a half to the string path - but they're OK without that if the machineheads will take the thicker part of the winding.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein