Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rolling Stone: Rock in 2018. What do we think? Spot on or total drivel?

What's Hot

Comments

• Yep. These thing go in cycles though. Radio One is mostly Grime & R&B. Guitar shops are busier that ever though so there is hope ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I think rock has sucked for years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    There's some points he makes which I agree with and some which I don't.

There hasn't been much in the mainstream rock charts that has interested or inspired me at all. The lunchtime DJ on Kerrang! Radio has been banging on about 21 Pilots all year and, while Jumpsuit is a loud and rocking track, I don't see the connection between their music and what I expect from Kerrang!. I like 21 Pilots, as a hip-hop act but I don't think they really are, in the words of said Kerrang! Radio DJ, "the greatest band on the planet right now".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    wesker123 said:
    Yep. These thing go in cycles though. Radio One is mostly Grime & R&B. Guitar shops are busier that ever though so there is hope ;)
    And there's lots of reports around of more women getting into playing guitar (think it was Fender?). I heard a great duo called Rews earlier this year and they were great.

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    There’s some great music around. But unfortunately we live in a world that needs a £300k PR spend in order for an artist to make any kind of dent on the public consciousness. As a result, a lot of shit music is noticed above the good stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Maybe guitar companies should get into the music biz. Is that cynical? Fender seem to be doing lots at a grass-roots, beginner level, and to encourage more women to play guitar. More of this is needed. Get guitar bands seen and more people will play guitar. I know guitar shows aren't totally representative of who actually plays guitar these days, but unless guitar companies do something their market will disappear before long.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Makes sense. Guitar, bass and real drum bands aren't going to be popping up in a mainstream that is all sample drums and pitch correcting mumble rap. 
    Meaning that bands that have some guitars somewhere in the mix are classed as the best selling rock. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They are right really. 2000-2010 was a way better period for rock music. 

Anyhow, it's just one genre. I've been listening to neo soul and woman singer songwriters loads these last 2 years and if I want to hear ripping guitar I put on some Julian Lage or Kurt Rosenwinkel.
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited December 2018
    wesker123 said:
    Yep. These thing go in cycles though. Radio One is mostly Grime & R&B. Guitar shops are busier that ever though so there is hope
    Can you justify that statement? It’s not the impression I get
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    wesker123 said:

Guitar shops are busier that ever though so there is hope ;)
    Only because three quarters of them have closed, so the remaining ones might seem like they're busier...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    Everything has its day .The big band sound is still around but not  mainstream ,same for  trad jazz(my pet hate from student days  ) so fades as its fans fade .One day hip hop will be an old quirky slice of history if it isnt already .There are some nice clean pretty girls around these days who sing and play like angels and keep old men like me happy if only in our dreams.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    edited December 2018
    Is this really a shock? There's not really much new in rock, most of it's already been done about as well as it can be done. Hell, my band don't do anything new - we wear our influences on our sleeves. The only reason (some) people think we're pretty original is that we have a relatively unusual mix of influences, but they're all right there in front of you.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    edited December 2018
    wesker123 said:
    Yep. These thing go in cycles though. Radio One is mostly Grime & R&B. Guitar shops are busier that ever though so there is hope
    Look at the last 30+ years of popular music. It only takes one or two music scenes to pop up ( grunge, Britpop, Madchester etc) and guitar based music could become relevant again.

John from Peach Guitars said they are busier than ever a few months ago. I take the point that a lot of shops have been lost though.

Some of that is probably down to internet purchases.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    Simon_M said:
     I heard a great duo called Rews earlier this year and they were great.

I REALLY like this. Thanks for posting.
    Wish I was young again...... :'(

Happy Xmas.
  • Mainstream rock has almost always been shit tbh. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • In fairness there's a lot of rock music already been done which still exists so the choice is way bigger than it has ever been, for listeners as well as players (for them to be influenced by)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    There’s more to the picture than meets the eye. 
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Simon_M said:
    There's some points he makes which I agree with and some which I don't.

There hasn't been much in the mainstream rock charts that has interested or inspired me at all. The lunchtime DJ on Kerrang! Radio has been banging on about 21 Pilots all year and, while Jumpsuit is a loud and rocking track, I don't see the connection between their music and what I expect from Kerrang!. I like 21 Pilots, as a hip-hop act but I don't think they really are, in the words of said Kerrang! Radio DJ, "the greatest band on the planet right now".
    I cannot stand 21 Pilots. I used to turn off the radio when they played a track of theirs. 
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 491
    wesker123 said:
    wesker123 said:
    Look at the last 30+ years of popular music. It only takes one or two music scenes to pop up ( grunge, Britpop, Madchester etc) and guitar based music could become relevant again.

John from Peach Guitars said they are busier than ever a few months ago. I take the point that a lot of shops have been lost though.

Some of that is probably down to internet purchases.
    I think the internet will help people improve technically through lessons and collaborate / meet up with others nearby and form some bands. Just need somewhere to gain traction and it could well happen. 
  • You just have to look harder to find something incredible between the lines.”

This has always been the way throughout my musical journeys. I don’t think that’s a new thing, at all. And mainstream rock has been shit since nu metal, if not before.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom