New body or old guitar?....

What's Hot
I want to upgrade my 90s Squire Tele. The way I see it is I can either use the neck and drop it on a solid wood body with some SOL67 Oil City pickups I’ve had my eye on and a new harness OR buy a pre owned MIM Tele, swap out the pickups and sell the Squire.
I figure the cost will be much the same at the end but what will be the best end result?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Get the MIM Tele, the neck is much nicer and you are starting from a better modding platform 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Depends how much you like the Squier neck.....but as above a used MIM is prbably a better bet....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8822
    tFB Trader
    There may be little difference between the two guitars, realistically.

A well dressed neck, nut and setup will work wonders.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72232
    If you love the neck on the Squier, replace the body. If you don't, replace the whole thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    lonestar said:

I’d agree - a well set up Squier and a MiM aren’t a world apart imo, if you’re going to upgrade and want to do it with parts then gradually add them piece at a time. You could get the pickups now and swap them back if you decide to sell the Squier later. 
  • And I guess if I ever want to sell it a mim is worth double what a Squire is 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    John_P said:
    lonestar said:
    I’d agree - a well set up Squier and a MiM aren’t a world apart imo
    This is why I own several Squier Vintage Modified series bass guitars and exactly zero Fender MIM ones. 

lonestar said:
    This is true at any price point. IMO, with the right fettling and a few well-chosen component upgrades, the Squier makes its nearest equivalent Fender MIM model look over-priced.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.