OD into Tremolo

lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
This morning at church I had my Source Audio Vertigo in harmonic tremolo mode and it sounds great, but when I put an OD on in front they sounded quiet and a bit muffled. Is it generally best to have OD ofter tremolo in the chain?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2189
    OD before Trem generally.  There will be a perceived volume loss with the trem as it's a reductive effect. Some trems have a boost whch helps.
  • Fishboy7 said:
    OD before Trem generally.  There will be a perceived volume loss with the trem as it's a reductive effect. Some trems have a boost whch helps.
    I did think that which is why I always have OD first. The tremolo does have a boost on it and it's fine when on without OD it just seemed to drop when I engaged the OD
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Try it the other way round, you might prefer it. It will be different because the tremolo will modulate the gain of the overdrive rather than the volume, but that's actually what happens with a vintage amp tremolo when the amp is overdriven.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JotaJota Frets: 463
    I've been using trem before OD. I like it for boosting the gain and I think the trem effect gets a bit less pronounced.
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    If you’re bothered by a volume drop when engaging your tremolo pedal, then I find putting it before the overdrive tends to lessen the volume drop. But generally, most folks (including me) run trem after OD.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31501
    ICBM said:
    Try it the other way round, you might prefer it. It will be different because the tremolo will modulate the gain of the overdrive rather than the volume, but that's actually what happens with a vintage amp tremolo when the amp is overdriven.
    This. It sounds far more like a real tremolo than having the tremolo last, which just sounds like someone messing with a desk slider.