New old amp day!

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
Marshall 7200 head and 7410 dynamic bass system 4x10 cab

Picked this up over the weekend from the wonderful @GSPBASSES ;

Crikey - it’s heavy and really old school. I need to reattach the Marshall logo on the cab, and the head needs a service which will get done in Jan, but...

Its loud. Really loud. Stupid loud. Obscene loud. It’s 200w - but goodness knows how they rated it. 

Valve preamp stage.. with some gain it has the most gloriously creamy smooth tone - but it’s very immediate. Really responsive and articulate. I think I’ve found my favourite old school big heavy bass thumper ever....!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    You know you're getting old when you still think of something like this as totally modern :).

I thought it was going to be a Fender Bassman 50 or something...

Its loud. Really loud. Stupid loud. Obscene loud. It’s 200w - but goodness knows how they rated it.
    Properly. Continuous, for ever, clean power at the point of clipping - Class AB output and a linear power supply with enough reservoir capacity to handle peaks well above that... instead of some 'weighted' 'average' 'programme' fudge which it can't sustain for more than half a second and a power supply that clamps it rigidly to that.

I love modern lightweight Class D/SMPS amps too, and they are amazingly loud in relation to their size and weight, but when you compare them to old-school solid-state - let alone valve - they're just not the same.

The massive cabinet helps too - there's no substitute for sheer inertia when it comes to projecting bass, not even Barefaced's rigid cabinet design which does come close.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Looks fab.
    This Marshall advert for the 7400 says 400W program power and 4000W peak power!!! Does that mean yours is 2000W peak?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Forgot to say... it looks much better without the big plastic logo on the cab too. The ad above just confirms it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Yep - 2000w peak... I braved it to number 2 on the dial last night and things started moving in the house
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23955
    The guy in Muse used to use 4 of the 7400 heads with 4 of the 2x15 cabs.

Monsterous sound, 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    The guy in Muse used to use 4 of the 7400 heads with 4 of the 2x15 cabs.

Monsterous sound, 
    Should of got him down to Gatwick!
    That would have sorted out the drone business!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    The bassist from “Britain’s foremost Muse tribute band” bought my old 7400 head and 7115 cabinet to compliment his existing DBS rig.

Via a circuitous route, my 7410 ended up with HarrySeven until he purged a warehouseful of amplifiers.

I still have a 7210 cabinet. (Plug, plug!)
    Be seeing you.
    The bassist from “Britain’s foremost Muse tribute band” bought my old 7400 head and 7115 cabinet to compliment his existing DBS rig.

Via a circuitous route, my 7410 ended up with HarrySeven until he purged a warehouseful of amplifiers.

I still have a 7210 cabinet. (Plug, plug!)
    You’ve mentioned the 7210 before.. and I’m interested but you went quiet on me :)
    @Bridgehouse I’ll PM you after I have eaten my nosh.
    Be seeing you.
    @Funkfingers - no probs
    Well, have it a jolly good clean up this afternoon. It’s in great condition. Sorted out the scratchy pots too. 

Also gave it an airing just to upset the family ;) 

Yup. It’s loud. But it’s also a really decent tone as well. Like a properly nice creamy usable tone. 
    Just imagine how much louder it could be with two more ten inch loudspeakers. ;)
    Be seeing you.
    Just imagine how much louder it could be with two more ten inch loudspeakers. ;)
    Presumably 50% more...
  • Bloody Hell, I bet that rig can cure Constipation.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    Bloody Hell, I bet that rig can cure Constipation.
    Difficult to tell at this time of year with sprouts etc. But yeah, I reckon so...
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    It does look like fun. Will you gig it?
    Looks similar to the M9 Carbine, an amp I’ve lusted after for too long.
    simonk said:
    It does look like fun. Will you gig it?
    Looks similar to the M9 Carbine, an amp I’ve lusted after for too long.
    Yeah I’ll gig it at some point I reckon!
  • sparkspark Frets: 22
    Jezz, it comes to my memory when I started with the bass and I dreamt with this amp so badly, I'm sure I would be able to find the Marshall's catalogue in my parents' house.
    No Internet, no Thomann, just a small tiny instrument shop in the middle of nowhere in Spain....I´m getting old.
    I bet that rig can cure Constipation.
    The chiropractor's friend. ;)

The 7410 and 7115 fairly roll along on castors. On level ground, they can be pushed with one finger. Lifting them into a car or van by yourself is norralorra fun.
    Be seeing you.