Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Albums you'd like a band to re-record

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72243
    Pink Floyd - The Wall - as single album, leaving out all the dirges....
    I’m not sure you quite get the concept of it ;).

I’d have to say The Final Cut would be better without the last two songs though.

My choice would be any live album recorded in the 1990s with an electro-acoustic guitar. Specifically the Indigo Girls’ 1200 Curfews and Warren Zevon’s Learning To Flinch, both of which I found unlistenable due to the guitar sounds. Sadly Warren won’t be able to...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    Almost every Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds record from the 80s. Masterful songwriting, quality arrangements, shitty production awash in horrible reverb...
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Lamb Of God's first album, The New American Gospel has some incredible riffs but is spoiled by a dreadful production and Randy's 'stuck pig' vocals.  

I did once suggest, via Twitter to Mark Morton that they should re-record the whole thing, but his response was "why would we do that"? - so I guess that will never be happening. 
  • Mr Big’s last album from a couple of years ago - great songs but the guitars sound horribly compressed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2410
    MBV's Loveless, mainly to do something about those godawful drum sounds.
    This!

Also, Dog Man Star by Suede. Given that Bernard Butler was the main reason to listen to them it'd be nice to be able to hear him.

Also, lots of 'rock' albums ruined by horrible Eighties production.

I'm on the fence about the 13th Floor Elevators catalogue. The lo-fi sound is incredibly atmosopheric but doesn't really capture their power.

• Also Rain Parade's Emergency Third Rail Pwer Trip. I love that album to bits but, as a friend once remarked, it sounds like it was recorded in someone's kitchen. With a dictaphone.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • ICBM said:
    Pink Floyd - The Wall - as single album, leaving out all the dirges....
    I’m not sure you quite get the concept of it ;).

I’m not sure Water’s gripe with fame deserves such a (dare I say it?) turgid portrayal. Moaning about fame started on Wish You Were Here - and reached it’s zenith on The Wall - having spat at fans for not ‘getting’ his genius. I don’t get him on any level. Clearly a highly intelligent - but highly self-absorbed - man....
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    horse said:
    I'd like to hear Surfing with the Alien redone with a nice guitar tone!

Yeah, and less solos!
    Um, fewer...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    horse said:

Yeah, and less solos!
    Um, fewer...
    I'd be more inclined to get a drummer in. It's crazy how I thought the guitar sounds were the best I'd ever heard at the time though. More solos for me. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• matdotcodotmatdotcodot Frets: 179
    edited December 2018
    Reverend said:
    Nevermind with Steve Albini rather than Butch Vig, and the original Steve Albini In Utero mix without record company interference.
     I seem to recall that the die hard Nirvana fans all used to prefer Wipe out to Nevermind back in 91. 
    Thanks for that @Reverend I thought I had heard every rare demo, studio mix going TBH, Wipe out must have slipped under the radar for me. much appreciated
    If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    octatonic said:
    horse said:

Yeah, and less solos!
    Um, fewer...
    And fewer technicalities!
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    @axisus said:
    I Hate the production on Soundgarden's Superunknown - thick muddy and horrible. Cornell sounds a million times better on the Temple of the Dog album.

Aztec Camera debut - wonderful songs, very weak production.

Totally disagree about Superunknown, in engineering circles it's considered a classic, particularly due to the amazing drums sounds and non-hyped mastering. I'd recommend listening on a great set of speakers, it's epic.
    I can get that superunknown is better produced, but I prefer the sound of badmotorfinger - might be the guitar arrangements that I prefer though - more ragged and unpredictable
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Stuckfast said:
    MBV's Loveless, mainly to do something about those godawful drum sounds.
    This!

Also, Dog Man Star by Suede. Given that Bernard Butler was the main reason to listen to them it'd be nice to be able to hear him.

Also, lots of 'rock' albums ruined by horrible Eighties production.

Have to disagree with this one. The guitar is mixed into the songs to be a part of the whole, the arrangements as a whole work very well imo. I've never had a problem hearing his parts.

Spot on about Eighties production though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72243
    richardhomer said:

I’m not sure Water’s gripe with fame deserves such a (dare I say it?) turgid portrayal.
    Which exactly confirms my point. If you think it's about his 'gripe with fame', you've clearly failed to understand it.

Actually, it needs one *extra* track to make it perfect - When The Tigers Broke Free should be at the beginning. It was recorded at the time but not used because the others thought it "too personal". Well duh...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Also Rain Parade's Emergency Third Rail Pwer Trip. I love that album to bits but, as a friend once remarked, it sounds like it was recorded in someone's kitchen. With a dictaphone.
    No way! This is one of my absolute favourite LPs and it sounds perfect to me. Loads of separation and clarity between the instruments and totally nails that Buffalo Springfield sort of thing with extra swirl ines. Just sublime.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RHCP Mother's Milk
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • first 2 that spring to mind are

Justice for All
    In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth:3

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    I'd like all the over-compressed loudness-wars CDs to be re-mastered
    Noted worst cases being Oasis, RHCP and Metallica

e.g. the top track here:

Waveform of song "My Apocalypse" by Metallica, in a comparison: top is the regular CD version, bottom is the downloadable version for Guitar Hero III. Done with Audacity.
    from: Stormwatch at English Wikipedia [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)]
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Clapton - Behind the sun.
    (Over)produced by Phil Collins. 

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    A little-known band from 1998 called The Montrose Avenue whose first and only album, Thirty Days Out, had really good songs, excellent vocals and musicianship but was grossly over-produced and completely devoid of dynamics to the point that it was hard going listening to more than three or four tracks. They deserved success but their producer and their full-on arrangements killed that. The band folded so no chance of rerecording.