Painting Pickguard?

What's Hot
I want a black pickguard for my Les Paul but Gibson seem to make the dimensions a couple of mm different on each model of LP which means that none of the off-the-shelf pickguards will fit my 2018 Tribute.

I spoke to a company who will make a custom shape one if I send them the measurements but it's about 45 quid which is excessive for a Les Paul pickguard.

Anyone ever heard of painting - or in some other way colouring - an existing pickguard?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Key the surface, spray it black, lacquer over the top... job jobbed.
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    You could buy some blank pickguard material and cut one to size yourself? Just trace around the current pickguard
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Foster said:
    You could buy some blank pickguard material and cut one to size yourself? Just trace around the current pickguard
    That's an idea actually - what kind of tools would be involved?
  • You’re better off buying a Gibson or third party guard and doing it a bit of filing/sanding, rather than making it yourself from scratch. I’m guessing at worst you’ll need to take a mm off the notches for the pickup rings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    You’re better off buying a Gibson or third party guard and doing it a bit of filing/sanding, rather than making it yourself from scratch. I’m guessing at worst you’ll need to take a mm off the notches for the pickup rings.
    Makes so much sense!

Cheers mate :)