Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thank f**k that’s all over...

What's Hot

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    Emp_Fab said:
    Bloody Christmas bollocks.

Same old shit every year.  WTF is it?  A celebration of the birth of Jesus? A celebration of trees, coloured lights, capitalism, alcohol?  What?  Domestic violence peaks, suicides peak, people get up to their eyes in debt buying stuff that the recipients probably wouldn’t have bought for themselves anyway.

I agree it’s magical for kids, but for grown ups (curmudgeonly, greying old bastards), it’s bollocks.

Bah Humbug. :lol: 

It's not mandatory, y'know.  I opted out ages ago. ;)

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had a lovely Christmas. I love the excitement of our kids, the anticipation and then joy at receiving gifts. They are still young enough that there's magic there. Had a lovely dinner cooked by my wife and a chilled evening. Boxing day the MiL (who I get on well with) and her husband visited and we sort of did Christmas Part II with a nice meal and more presents for the kids.

It's all been really easy and relaxed this year and I've enjoyed it a lot despite fighting a cold. I've hardly touched a drop of booze and feel much better for it. 

• I love Christmas.  The trick is to do it the right way.  For me the right way was with friends and family, booze, food and guitars.   I do not think that I watched much tele.  Did I miss much?
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited December 2018
    I think it's incredibly sad that some people can't find just a tiny bit of joy in Christmas; and in life in general for some people. It's very sad, sincerely. There is a lot of pain in the world; people suffering from depression and living unfulfilled lives, and living in constant rumination ... I think it's useful to be able to at least escape that sometimes; and if that takes some crappy xmas movies and a few cans of Guinness or a box of Quality Street ... well.... that's what it takes.

I used to loathe Christmas. I've really tried to make an effort the last 3 or 4 years or so.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27989
    edited December 2018
    Fretwired said:

It then mutated from a simple rebranding to a calculated attack on Christianity by "atheists", "Muslims", or the "PC brigade" who feared offending "other faiths" or "ethnic minorities". In one extreme example, the South Wales Echo claimed that Winterval was the result of "virulent attacks on religion by atheists", which had led to "new rules such as Christmas being renamed as "Winterval". Who created and enforced this "rule" and who it applied to was not explained in the article.

This is exactly why I like calling the festive season Winterval.

It really winds up exactly the sort of ignorant, hysterical boorish twit I enjoy winding up, whereas no-one I care about is even slightly bothered.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24260
    I think it's incredibly sad that some people can't find just a tiny bit of joy in Christmas; and in life in general for some people. It's very sad, sincerely. There is a lot of pain in the world; people suffering from depression and living unfulfilled lives, and living in constant rumination ... I think it's useful to be able to at least escape that sometimes; and if that takes some crappy xmas movies and a few cans of Guinness or a box of Quality Street ... well.... that's what it takes.

I used to loathe Christmas. I've really tried to make an effort the last 3 or 4 years or so.
    But what if 'that' isn't enough to bring joy?  You can't easily wipe away genuine sadness, grief and depression with a box of sugar, some alcohol and a plastic comedy hat made in the People's Republic of China.

What about those for whom Christmas is laden with sad memories - of domestic abuse or drunken anger - or happy memories of times with loved ones who have since died (in my case my mum) ?

Christmas is a very emotional time and whilst I'm sure I'll bounce back in time, it will need something more substantial than going through the motions with chocolate, booze and a re-run of The Guns of Navarone.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27989
    Well, obvs. You need Moonraker, The Spy Who Loved Me, or For Your Eyes Only for that sort of work. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited December 2018
    Emp_Fab said:

But what if 'that' isn't enough to bring joy?  You can't easily wipe away genuine sadness, grief and depression with a box of sugar, some alcohol and a plastic comedy hat made in the People's Republic of China.

What about those for whom Christmas is laden with sad memories - of domestic abuse or drunken anger - or happy memories of times with loved ones who have since died (in my case my mum) ?

Christmas is a very emotional time and whilst I'm sure I'll bounce back in time, it will need something more substantial than going through the motions with chocolate, booze and a re-run of The Guns of Navarone.
    I said "if that's what it takes" - and "that" could be anything. If Xmas is traumatic for you, as it can be for me too, then you need to figure out what the "that" is for you. It could be hiring a cottage and writing a book over 4 days. Or it could be laying some flooring

Don't get me wrong. I find it hard too. We all do. There isn't a single person alive that doesn't have some part of them that is victimized, beaten, debased, or defeated on some level of their being. Ask a Buddhist and they'll tell you that suffering is inherent to life, and it's what you do with that fact that determines how your life manifests.

Christ knows I've got enough reasons to hate everything for the rest of my days, as I'm sure you do too. But it's tiring. It's oh so tiring. Keeping up the hate. Maintaining the level of animosity, cruelness, self-loathing, and woefulness.

Remember when our folks used to tell us that it took more muscles to frown than it did to smile? There is a more metaphysical lesson in that I think.

Sometimes for my own sanity I need to let my non-existent hair down and act like one of the dumb masses for a bit. Just to stop myself from doing something incredibly stupid like offing myself; or something less drastic even, like punching a door.

Ant & Dec are modern day shamans.
    (^ that was a joke)

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Yes we should change the name, I will opt for the winter carnival or whatever it gets called then they can keep bloody Jesus out of my week off with booze, family and lots of football on the telly.
    edited December 2018
    I don't feel hate, animosity, cruelty, self-loathing or woefulness - I just miss my mum and have always rebelled against the 'forced happiness' of the end-of-year festivities.  I'll be happy -  if my circumstances and mind's state dictate, not because everyone else is telling me I must be - "because".

Next year I may dress up as Elf and have tinsel around my balls, but only if I'M in the mood - not because it's just "expected" at this time of year.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038

Sometimes for my own sanity I need to let my non-existent hair down and act like one of the dumb masses for a bit. Just to stop myself from doing something incredibly stupid like offing myself; or something less drastic even, like punching a door.
    This is just a daft data point observation:  I worked in a hand unit so I've seen hundreds, if not thousands, of busted hands which  result from the physics of bone meeting wood/ metal/ faces at different velocities. 
    And then I did a weird gig where I did domestic visits seeing people days out of surgery and packed off home.  And being an observant bunny I clocked the number of doors etc. with fist impact damage.
    I'm not totally sure what my point is here:  it's not judgmental because I've done stuff which was bonkers and I'm not proud of and I think it's probably more simple:  I noted that punching stuff is common, and breaking bones in one's hand can be of little consequence to non-musicians but a game-changer for guitarists etc.

It also ruins the accuracy of your shadow-puppetry.  What was once a passable dove is now a pig with an erection.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Grunfeld said:

This is just a daft data point observation:  I worked in a hand unit so I've seen hundreds, if not thousands, of busted hands which  result from the physics of bone meeting wood/ metal/ faces at different velocities. 
    And then I did a weird gig where I did domestic visits seeing people days out of surgery and packed off home.  And being an observant bunny I clocked the number of doors etc. with fist impact damage.
    I'm not totally sure what my point is here:  it's not judgmental because I've done stuff which was bonkers and I'm not proud of and I think it's probably more simple:  I noted that punching stuff is common, and breaking bones in one's hand can be of little consequence to non-musicians but a game-changer for guitarists etc.

Yep. No argument from me.

Emp_Fab said:
    I don't feel hate, animosity, cruelty, self-loathing or woefulness - I just miss my mum and have always rebelled against the 'forced happiness' of the end-of-year festivities.  I'll be happy -  if my circumstances and mind's state dictate, not because everyone else is telling me I must be - "because".

Next year I may dress up as Elf and have tinsel around my balls, but only if I'M in the mood - not because it's just "expected" at this time of year.
    What I know about depression after suffering from it for most of my life is that there is a certain amount of faking it until you make it that is required to get out of a slump, or a dip in mood. But you do you. I'm not going to try to convince you of anything.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    No - you know about your depression.  I don't understand what you mean by 'faking it until you make it' or 'you do you'.

• VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Emp_Fab said:
    No - you know about your depression.  I don't understand what you mean by 'faking it until you make it' or 'you do you'.

Now tell us about your paranoia?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Eh ?  You've lost me.  Where is the paranoia in any of this ?
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited December 2018
    Emp_Fab said:

I think what’s meant is that, in his case, there has had to be a certain amount of ‘putting on a brave face’  until he’s managed to get out of a slump.

By the phrase ‘you do you’, I believe he means ‘but that’s just my take on things. YOU must analyse yourself and DO what’s right for YOU’.

By that phrase, he’s prevising your own reply - that he only knows about his depression. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I think what’s meant is that, in his case, there has had to be a certain amount of ‘putting on a brave face’  until he’s managed to get out of a slump.

By the phrase ‘you do you’, I believe he means “but that’s just my take on things. YOU must analyse yourself and DO what’s right for YOU”.
    That ^^^

I'm a miserable c*nt this time of year but for long winded reasons IvI' had to deal with some positives and some drama this Xmas. Overall it was good but I had to count to 10 several times.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Blimey, I’m only miserable at this time of yeah because if reading threads like this by miserable people! If you don’t like it, fine, be miserable, sad, upset, whatever, but keep it to yourself! I’m not writing threads telling everyone what a lovely time I had, so just be miserable and get on with it.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    Emp_Fab said:

By the phrase ‘you do you’, I understand this to mean mean ‘but that’s just my take on things. YOU must analyse yourself and DO what’s right for YOU’. By that phrase, he’s actually prevising your own reply - that he only knows about his depression. 
    Yes, precisely this. Thanks Viz.

Bye!