Anyone else get this problem?

I dived into my new project a couple of months ago, full of excitement and already I was desperate to play it. Did lots of planning, drew up accurate plans, sorted some templates, built a rough working body (as I'm trying something 'different'), worked around a few problems, adjusted the concept a few times, cut out the body and neck, routed truss rod, then ....... Nothing. It has sat around for weeks and I just can't seem to get going. I'm still desperate to play it but I can't seem to do the next job, which is cut the fret slots (not a favourite job!). I took a long weekend start of December to get going. Failed. I thought this long xmas break I'd get going. Failed so far. I need to kick myself up the arse. One problem is that my garage is an uninspiring, messy, overcrowded, cold area with a leaky roof and no proper work bench. Anyone else get caught in the eternal loop of failing to do anything?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisus said:
    ... already I was desperate to play it....
    Yeah, I bet most of us have suffered this one!
    The way I get over it is to sort the task into individual, discrete jobs. Your next one, for instance, is to cut the fret slots.
    Step 1: Try to forget about the project as a whole. Think about that job - and only that one - until you've done it 100 times, and encountered/solved every conceivable problem, in your head. Don't even go back in the garage 'til then.
    Step 2: Then go and do the job. Or get as far as you can until you hit a snag.
    Either way, then WALK AWAY and go drink beer. Your next job is either whatever you decide is next, OR solving the problem that just cropped up. Either way, repeat step 1.
    Not saying it's the best way, but it works for me - if I get to think about what colour it should be, or what wiring layout to use etc etc, then I never (in this example) get the fret slots cut.

Oh and FWIW, tidying up the garage *IS* a valid job in itself!
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    I'm even worse. I've got 3 projects laying around unfinished -  2 Teles and a DC Junior kit. I don't even have the excuse of making anything from scratch - they are all from pre-made parts. The Teles actually just need bolting together and setting up as I've already had the bodies finished and finished the necks but space/mess is my downfall as well. I have to spend 30 minutes getting an uncluttered work area ready and by that time I'm fed up and end up reorganising my stock or having a nap!

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Normally in the past I've managed to deal with guitar builds pretty quickly with only paint curing time extending them beyond a few weeks. Now I have one that's been hanging around for a couple of years! It's certainly had more than its fair share of setbacks to the extent I became convinced it was jinxed D (I really should have bought that lucky heather ). Apart from issues with construction and parts, progress has also suffered from me being away so often and because I have no permanent workshop as I did in the past so workspace has to be set up each time I resume.

Finally made some good progress in the lead-up to Christmas and hope to have it all done by new year. It's been a saga but NGD within sight.......
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    I'm the same with my "Abomination" challenge build, I've binned the Bigsby and filled the holes, had another coat of paint, needs another, just can't be arsed, I'm not really gelling with it.....so it's set aside until some arsedness turns up.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Yup    There is a point in almost every build I've done .The only way of breaking through it is just start to do the job I keep putting off.  It's a bit like breaking through a glass ceiling ;)