how much is a fender HRD IV worth with mods?

What's Hot
dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
edited December 2018 in Amps
Speaker upgrade WGS et90
Original 6l6 tubes and Phillips NOS 6l6s
230v to 240v

Mint condition. 

What would something like that be worth.

Mods cost £170 in total
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    HOW MUCH?!! A speaker, a pair of valves (which is not a mod), and ten seconds to swap a couple of push connectors (which is not a mod)... I admit changing the speaker isn't a total piece of cake because the chassis has to come out, but for anyone who knows what they're doing, about 15 mins.

If it doesn't have the original speaker it's worth exactly the same as any other one, plus a pair of 6L6s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ok I thought the speaker price was more.... must of been around £170 :)
    Better than £250...

The speaker costs £90. Did you get the old one back?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• No sold it on
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    The IV comes with quite a good speaker anyway to be fair, so I would expect it to be worth about the same as a standard one, but Celestion is a much bigger name to the general public so you may even struggle to get that.

Most people don't like mods, and even those of us who would have done exactly the same mod will pretend we'd prefer it standard when buying. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Would it be best to put it back to standard then? 

I can  pick up a speaker for not that much, put the original tubes back in 
  • What are the current price for these used then?
    Would it be best to put it back to standard then? 

I can  pick up a speaker for not that much, put the original tubes back in 
    I wouldn't spend more money on it which you won't get back. If you can change the valves yourself I would put the originals back because you can either keep the Philips ones for any future amp you might want to use them in, or sell them separately - but if you have to pay someone to do it then it will just about equal the value of the valves.

I would also definitely not describe it as 'modded' - that will put people off as p90fool said. I expected you meant that it had had some changes to the circuitry inside. It's an HRD with an arguably upgraded speaker, but that really doesn't add anything to the value. (Unless the speaker is something really desirable in its own right, eg an EV or an expensive Alnico.)

• Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 238
    edited December 2018
    As a buyers perspective, If i was looking for a hotrod iv to buy I wouldnt pay anymore than the current price for what a stock one goes for.

As for price i would say £450-£500 for an ebay sale.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    No more than a stock unit. ‘Mods’ are at your own risk. 
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    As with anything it's worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay.

However a Fender HRD can go for as little as £300 in the current market.

I paid £300 for mine and a mate paid £300 for one last week.
  • £300??? For the most recent 2018 HRD?
    £300??? For the most recent 2018 HRD?
    I'm seeing them go for £450 or so in shops, although I'm not sure about privately - they're £750 new now.

The low second hand values for private sales of older ones are probably because it's mostly a buyer's market - there are thousands of them out there.

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4171
    A s/h HRD iii is going for around £300-£400. I reckon you'd probably get £450-£550 for a version iv model.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    ICBM said:
    'modded' ... I expected you meant that it had had some changes to the circuitry inside. 
    Some third party makers market their replacement filter caps and audio taper pots as a big deal. The majority of the common changes have been engineered into the mk4 HRDx.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    edited December 2018
    Imho, it’s worth *less* modded - as if I want a HRD, it’s because I want a HRD. Your mods may suit you but not necessarily another player - and fwiw, I’d be factoring in the cost of putting it back to stock.

Fwiw - I bought my HRD (mk3, iirc - Celestion speaker black panel etc) for £325.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom