Combo amp valve rattle

What's Hot
TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
edited December 2018 in Amps
I've noticed a rattling coming from my amp (Marshall Mini Jubilee combo) which I'm almost certain is preamp valve rattle. It happened on my old one as well, V1 went microphonic. Before I replace it I wanted to know if there's any good way of preventing it happening again? Short of re-housing it into a head shell which I've been tempted to do for a while now!

I've seen the Eurotubes damper rings but do they actually work? https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/eurotubes tube damper rings.htm

If so, any UK based equivalent?

IIRC V1 has one of them metal covers on it (possibly where the rattle comes from?) - I guess that won't fit with these rings on so is there any downside to removing the cover?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    If you remove the cover the amp will probably pick up unwanted noise - that’s why the cover is fitted.

This is just a problem of putting valves in a box with a speaker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31585
    Those damper rings don't really do much to stop internal valve components rattling around in my experience. 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3151
    tFB Trader
    A 10mm grommet 'threaded' onto the shield spring works wonders

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    Could actually be the spring that is rattling! BTW I have not found the cans do much if anything to screen valves but I suppose it depends on the amp layout?

You will find some high temperature damping foam on the EL84 retainers of "our" 30&15W amps for just that very purpose.

Dave.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    @RiftAmps what size is that rubber grommet and where would I source something like that?
    tFB Trader
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

Perfect, thank you!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6798
    How hot do the 12ax7s get? Is there any chance that it could melt the rubber grommet?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    tFB Trader
    mrkb said:
    How hot do the 12ax7s get? Is there any chance that it could melt the rubber grommet?
    160 Celcius is the hottest bulb temperature for a 12AX7 type, but you won't get anywhere near that in a gtr amp. Grommets usually rated for a minimum of 200C.
    Rift Amplification
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6798
    RiftAmps said:
    mrkb said:
    160 Celcius is the hottest bulb temperature for a 12AX7 type, but you won't get anywhere near that in a gtr amp. Grommets usually rated for a minimum of 200C.
    Thanks!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    If that fails replace the valve with a Tung-Sol Re-issue. 
    edited February 2019
    Finally got round to fitting a rubber grommet as @RiftAmps suggested and it's made bugger all difference. Anything else I could try?

@mbe - are the tung sols less prone to this sort of thing then? I think the stock Marshall ones are rebadged JJs.

I don't get any rattle when the combo is plugged into a cab instead of the internal speaker btw. So I assume it's something to do with the internal speaker making the valve casing rattle still?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    U2 dedicated a whole album to this issue...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    TTBZ said:
    Finally got round to fitting a rubber grommet as @RiftAmps suggested and it's made bugger all difference. Anything else I could try?

@mbe - are the tung sols less prone to this sort of thing then? I think the stock Marshall ones are rebadged JJs.

I don't get any rattle when the combo is plugged into a cab instead of the internal speaker btw. So I assume it's something to do with the internal speaker making the valve casing rattle still?
    Tung sol Reissue solved my rattly preamp valve in 2 combos where those rubber things didn't work. One replaced JJ, the other a Ruby (Chinese). Better tone and gain factor was a bonus.