Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

HMV in administration (again)

What's Hot

Comments

• ooh, Merry Hill. That's my local HMV now, big shop in a busy area. The other couple I've been in lately are Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury which are in struggling malls, presumably they will stay open because the rents are cheap. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6870
    Snags said:
    That's a bugger. No chance of a position at another store? Always assuming there's one close enough.
    Its all been piss poor tbh. 

A whatsapp group has been created, but so far the only real information I've received has been not to come into work anymore..

I only bought a pint of milk yesterday and put it in the fridge there... Guess I wont be getting that back.. bastards! 

I asked the management about possible transfers or even an expected redundancy payout date.

very slim chances any other store will have the money to take us on, and infact cuts are probably going to made.
    But thats just more speculation.   

As for reduncancy... have to claim that shit from the government it seems..

I'm not expecting much, been there 10 years and 4 months but our contracted hours are always low, which is I imagine what they'll base the payouts on, not overtime etc.. might get a couple weeks holiday paid in leiu though.. if I'm lucky! 

Seems like I have a lot of free time and no info as to what to do. 

Don't know whether to go and sign on tomorrow morning as I'm not actually sure if I'm still classed as employed or what... but I kinda fancy signing on asap so I can get a free dental checkup, an eye test and my next lot of meds.... heheh oh I shall rinse it while I can! 
    Then again I've paid in the last 14 years so I shouldnt really feel that scummy about it. 

I've not been told if we're going to be paid any notice period either? Ie I'm expecting atleast the 5 days I've worked this month so far, but I'm not sure if we'll be paid 4 weeks notice and redundancy or how it works... 

Suppose I should stop thinking about it and just wait for official correspondance... 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • You need to register online for benefits. You will need to be officially unemployed first though otherwise that's fraud ( they are red hot on this). Once you have registered online you will get an appointment in a day or two to go in. You will probably be entitled to contributions based JSA for up to 6 months. This will also pay your NI contributions for that period. It won't entitle you to free dental treatment or prescriptions. They can help you look for work and can pay for some things that might help you get back into work such as training courses. 
    Hope it all goes well. 
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    edited February 2019
    Seymour1 said:

@ICBM Glasgow Braehead is closing but not Argyle Street.

Full list of ones to be closed is here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47132310

For the click-averse:

Ayr

Bath

Bluewater

Bristol, Cribbs

Chichester

Exeter, Princesshay

Fopp, Bristol

Fopp, Glasgow Byres

Fopp, Manchester

Fopp, Oxford

Glasgow, Braehead

Guernsey

Hereford

Manchester, Trafford

Merry Hill

Oxford Street

Peterborough, Queensgate

Plymouth, Drake Circus

Reading

Sheffield, Meadowhall

Southport

Thurrock

Tunbridge

Uxbridge

Watford

Westfield

Wimbledon

:(

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
    skunkwerx said:
    Well today sucks! 

So the company is saved but my store is among one of the 27 thats closing from immediate effect. 

Literally immediately. 

So I've had a text to say 'don't come in this afternoon, thats it'. 

Pissed. 

Sad, I'll never see the majority of those guys again.. 

Guess I better get down the job centre! 
    Shit, sorry mate that sucks. :(
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    Total arse. You should get on to whatever passes for HR with them, as they'll have some obligations to you. Not many, and they'll probably wiggle, but even in these circumstances there will be some stuff they gave to put in place. Might also be worth getting in touch with the local CAB for some independent input.

Hope that the shit isn't too deep or too extensive.
  • That's crap Paul.  Hope you sort something out.
    Cheers all! 

Proper shit. 
    Really weird just not having to go into work... Finding it hard to relax at the moment and enjoy the downtime. 
  • skunkwerx said:

Finding it hard to relax at the moment and enjoy the downtime. 
    Crack one out. 

Sorry for your job loss though. Good luck with the next stage.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry to hear that news :-( 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    It’s the closure of the flagship Oxford Street store that gets me. That's the end of HMV in my books.

Closure of the fantastic Fopp in Oxford next to the bus/coach station is also a great disappointment. My commiserations to all the staff who work(ed) there. Hope you land on your feet again.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72252
    fandango said:
    It’s the closure of the flagship Oxford Street store that gets me. That's the end of HMV in my books.
    Is it actually the original shop, or 
    just on Oxford St? If it’s not the original shop, or at least site, then it doesn’t really count.

Presumably the rent - if they don’t own the building - and rates are eye-watering there, so can understand it. Sad for the staff since it’s not their fault...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• maraudermarauder Frets: 133
    My local store in Huddersfield is staying open.
    Last time, it did close, but reopened in the same location 3 years ago.

Sad for workers at the affected stores.
  • ICBM said:
    fandango said:
    just on Oxford St? If it’s not the original shop, or at least site, then it doesn’t really count.

Presumably the rent - if they don’t own the building - and rates are eye-watering there, so can understand it. Sad for the staff since it’s not their fault...
    They opened the current shop on the site of a previous shop. Not sure it's the original shop though. Do not confuse the current shop with the huge HMV that used to be on Oxford Street, that closed a few years ago.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    ICBM said:
    fandango said:

They opened the current shop on the site of a previous shop. Not sure it's the original shop though. Do not confuse the current shop with the huge HMV that used to be on Oxford Street, that closed a few years ago.
    I have a feeling the current one on Oxford street is in the very original spot the first store opened back in the 1920's. 

It moved some years back, then in recent years moved back..

I think. 

Or something like that... 

• skunkwerx said:
    ICBM said:
    fandango said:

I have a feeling the current one on Oxford street is in the very original spot the first store opened back in the 1920's. 

I think. 

I think you're right mate.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Turns out my son’s friend was working in HMV in Merry Hill, kept her on to help sort the stock and finished last night. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    skunkwerx said:
    ICBM said:
    fandango said:

I think. 

I think you're right mate.
    Ah, but weren’t there two HMV’s on Oxford Street at one point. One near Tottenh@m Court Tube, and the other near their current store?
  • There was the big one on the north side of Oxfotd Street between Oxford Circus and Tottenham Court Road and another on the north side, east of Oxford Circus. Both are closed. The one near Tottenham Court Road was Virgin Megastore.