Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

January challenge: stick to one drive/distortion and make it work

What's Hot

Comments

• I'll have no problem just using my Boss Angry Driver, the only other OD I use is a Boss BD2W!
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Been using an OD-2 since the 80s and before that a Dist+.
    I also like the Pork Loin but I can get by without it.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    easy, TS-10, or Analogman TS-9, job done. 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Yep, I have just acquired a TS10, and I can't afford anything else... so I'll be juuuuuust fine
  • I’ve been tempted but have still not looked back since I bought @JezWynd ;Boss SD-2, covers everything a solid boost, crunch and solo overdrive/distortion
  • Anyone, that manages to complete the month challenge, should then take on 6 months then a year...... maybe?!

• @simonbeckwith ;Let’s not go mad, eh... 

Today I was practicing (yes, actually practicing, which is news in itself) some Tom Petty songs, and I found that the tele bridge pickup through the B.B. yielded a great rock ‘n’ roll rhythm sound with plenty of clarity, with a singing lead sound when pushed with the Spark Mini. 
    I think if I focused on Tele/Petty for the month I’d stand a pretty good chance of completing the challenge.

The Strat I was playing (well, noodling) yesterday seemed less easy to dial in, and I found myself getting tempted to try other pedals again. I don’t know whether that’s down to the guitar/pedal combo or less focused playing or both. 
  • Got a bit carried away didn't I?! 
  • joeyowen said:
    Yep, I have just acquired a TS10, and I can't afford anything else... so I'll be juuuuuust fine
    *looks up the price* yoiks... I didn’t know there was a TS10...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited December 2018
    I just have my trusty BYOC TS9 clone which has been pretty much the only drive on my board since I built it years ago. I only use amp drive and use this to boost for solos/if I want to go heavier. I did have a Rat but got rid of it a while ago. If I were using a pedal platform amp I'd probably have a Rat or modded boutique Rat. Very versatile and I like the sound of it at all gain levels. But I use a Marshall so it's criminal to use a dirt pedal as the main dirty tone :)
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    I'm so bloody capricious it'll take me all of January to work out which one it'll be  :s
  • dilbert said:
    I'm so bloody capricious it'll take me all of January to work out which one it'll be  :s
    @dilbert have you made a decision?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Am getting a horrible urge to make a last-minute swap to something less soft-clippy and with a flatter eq... aaargh...
  • Full disclosure: I just played through my Amplug 2.

Which arguably wouldn’t have constituted a fail had I not then unthinkingly tried my TC Electronic Vintage Distortion through it.

EPIC FAIL
  • Ok, so begging the forum’s indulgence for a spectacular false start, I’m going to give it another go with a pedal which I’m fairly sure I’ve managed to keep on the board for a while in the past - Subdecay Liquid Sunshine Mkiii. I think this will give me the best shot at getting through January without cracking again, and maybe it will be good to explore running it at various voltages. Wish me luck!

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    bbill335 said:
    easy - Hudson Broadcast
    +1
  • merlin said:
    bbill335 said:
    easy - Hudson Broadcast
    +1
    Are you both using them as a sort of tweed-amp-in-a-box?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Am getting a horrible urge to make a last-minute swap to something less soft-clippy and with a flatter eq... aaargh...
    On your BB-MB Yank the mid control back to minimum (it’ll still be a bit middy) and play around at the extremes of the bass and treble pots - from memory it’ll do some slightly different sounds 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    edited December 2018

Red ones are better. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    merlin said:
    bbill335 said:
    easy - Hudson Broadcast
    +1
    Are you both using them as a sort of tweed-amp-in-a-box?
    Between the two switches and the guitar's vol, you have the full spectrum of clean to hard-clipped fuzz