Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why are Tele knobs wrong - and where's the solution?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I’ve often thought about getting a blank plate and drilling it to take an SG switch. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    I just run a five way switch and wire it neck-both-bridge-bridge-bridge.

It means I never have to flick the switch all the way over to the volume pot, but if I do accidentally overshoot it doesn't really matter. 
  • Bend the switch over like Danny Gatton did. 
    Works for me. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    I had the control plate flipped on my telemaster and didn't really like it, felt too far forward and not as easy to get to. If I'd kept that guitar I would have put it back to normal.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7754
    Voxman said:
    ICBM said:
    I can’t stand the switch at the back. It makes one problem into two - you still can’t easily move the switch (from the neck position this time), but now the volume control is where I constantly hit it.

The right solution is the volume pot moved back a bit.

Or an Esquire with the ‘empty slot mod’ :).

Fender have never redesigned that terrible jack cup lash-up either...
    Yup, agree re moving the vol pot back and the jack socket is a nuisance as it can't take an angled plug. 

If you fit an electrosocket and use the switchcraft jack socket with the longer 3/8" thread (no washer) it will let you use an angled Neutrik jack.

The longer thread jack socket might work in a std. Tele cup too, but I haven't tried it so can't say for sure.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    Voxman said:

the jack socket is a nuisance as it can't take an angled plug. 
    It will take a Neutrik, which are the best anyway. The main problem with it is that it almost inevitably comes loose.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Just put a Gibson Toggle switch in, much easier to use, and sorts all the issues. 
    Can even put it Vol, Switch and then Tone if you like vol up front. 
    Believe me I have had every style of switching layout on a tele. Now use a standard plate with standard set up on my Esquire. 
  • I've put Gibson-style jackplates on every Tele I've owned. Much better. Simple, bombproof, takes any jack plug and easily repaired if anything did happen to it. 

As for control plates, does @MattFGBI know anything? Has it ever been discussed within Fender?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    I think this is a case of if we changed it, it wouldn’t look right. “Vintage correct” and all that. 

It could be an option to investigate new layouts on future high performance models like Elites and so on but nothing like this is currently in the plan as far as I know. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Another consideration.

Not all Telecaster control cavities are routed to the full depth for their entire length. The Nineties American Standard and the James Burton signature model had a less deep portion part way along, between the volume and tone pots. If you use a replacement plate to shift the volume pot, its terminals could foul on the lump in the cavity.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I'm now the proud owner of a new Tele and a fine instrument it is.

But the volume knob - it's in the wrong place.  It's so close to the pickup switch, it gets in the way of switching when in the bridge position.  There seems to be plemty of space to move it back half an inch or so, which would solve the problem easily.  Why hasn't this been done by the big F over the last half century or so?

Anyone know of an off the shelf solution?
    Honestly, you will get used to it.  And in time you might just grow to love where it is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10181
    I just got used to it. Don’t even think about it now. 

The Strat toggle was an issue but again, used to it now. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    edited January 2019
    Simplest solution is 'get used to it'.
    I find the Strat volume pot placement more of an issue but I'm mostly used to it now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    I just got used to it. Don’t even think about it now. 

I didn't even think about it, just accepted that all guitars have their little foibles. My PRS Cu24 has a 5 way rotary that ditto I just accepted. And the 2 tone and 2 vols on my LP, SG and Sheraton I still (ridiculously) get confused with sometimes.  My Sheraton has no fret markers after the 15th fret that again still throws me sometimes when I play up on higher frets etc.  It's all good, just part of each guitars character. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2280
    Quite neat. Doesn't it very slightly increase the risk of knocking the switch out of position when strumming in the neck pickup position because it is closer to the strumming hand?

I'm a Tele freak and I don't really have too much of an issue with the volume control.  I have slim fingers so perhaps that's a difference for some.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3964
    Tele controls have never bothered me.

The one that screwed my brain up was the Ric Vol/Tone layout having played Gibsons for so long!

• ;) 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I ordered the Italian Allparts item after the first few posts.
    Still waiting.
    Italy's in a different time zone I guess.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Tele controls have never bothered me.

The one that screwed my brain up was the Ric Vol/Tone layout having played Gibsons for so long!
    Or the PRS Singlecut layout.
    Very weird.