Game return policy - Im not impressed

What's Hot
spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
edited December 2018 in Off Topic
Got some Turtle beach wireless cans for Xbox as a gift, totally crap, wireless cuts out every few minutes ( Im 2 feet from the console) they are not that comfortable, and oddly the game music sounds like a warped record ?

Anyhow, I used them for about half an hour to discover this so, back in the box, back to Game - 

Sorry, you broke the factory seal ( a bit of sticky tape) so no returns, they would even consider a swap for another type.

Thats the end for me and Game.

Mac Mini M1
Presonus Studio One V5
 https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
 https://twitter.com/spark240
 Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
Reddit r/newmusicreview 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I can understand their policy applying to software  i.e. games.  But in this instance you have a piece of hardware that is not functioning correctly  i.e. not fit for purpose.  I'm no expert on such matters, but that's my take on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    I think that, as with most places, sometimes you get the helpful staff member and sometimes you don't so you have to ask someone else or a manager. Always worth bothering over email/Twitter as well.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    You know what over the last few weeks I've had problems with CEX refusing to take stuff back, Game have been really good.  Just depends which member of staff I guess.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Companies, as a courtesy, will allow you to return things which you don't want, providing it's not opened, etc.

Their policy is in addition to, but does not replace your statutory rights.

You are returning the item because it is faulty.

The assistant who dealt with you needs this explaining.

Now, the complication is whether you have a receipt - without that you may be stuffed...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    We have recent and all that, whether its faulty is a matter of opinion, I can't get it to work without cutting out, however their tech jargon tells you to move closer to the console, relocate your router, be in line of sight etc etc...I dont think this should need to happen with todays kit...I don't want to relocate all my stuff just to get these working.

Im going to contact head office and see what happens.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    spark240 said:
    We have recent and all that, whether its faulty is a matter of opinion, I can't get it to work without cutting out, however their tech jargon tells you to move closer to the console, relocate your router, be in line of sight etc etc...I dont think this should need to happen with todays kit...I don't want to relocate all my stuff just to get these working.

Im going to contact head office and see what happens.
    Shouldnt be any need. 

They should test them in store, if they cut out, thats a fault/not fit for purpose etc so they have to do something. 

That something is rarely a refund, as they're obliged to offer a replacement or a repair which is often the go to for retailers if its economical. 

If they can't find any fault with the product itself, then they're not obliged to do anything, at all. 

You could get a 'qualified persons' statement to prove a fault if the shop are being unhelpful, but whether thats economical for you is another matter, but it might help if you have to take it further.

A lot of shops seem to state after 30 days or so you have to contact the manufacturer to have any faults remedied, but statutory rights seem to indicate the shop should be the ones doing that. 

It could be that the headphones do actually work fine and its some other issue with whatever you are using them with.. 

I don't know then. 

If its an xbox you could try updating the controllers firmware, I know theres a menu for it in the settings. Just incase they connect through the controller.. Doubt it'll be that simple a fix but you never know. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    edited December 2018
    The consumer rights act 2015 states that, if a product is faulty within 30 days of ownership, you can request a full refund for the goods from the retailer - this is non-negotiable by the retailer (with the exception of motor vehicles). 
    https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product#how-long-do-i-have-to-return-a-faulty-product

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I always found their customer service pretty shocking to be honest.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    I've always found GAME a horrible place to shop, it's full of people swapping old things for credit when you just want to buy a game you are queueing in the tiny little stores for bluddy ages...

I'm getting old, still every single game I've bought recently came from Amazon.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    edited December 2018
    Just tell them their faulty. That you have no desire to have them replaced and that you don’t think their of merchantable quality. 
    You are allowed to inspect any goods for quality and use. This you have done. Failure to allow you to open the box before choosing to return the items is a restriction of your rights granted to you under UK law. 

Email then  that and you get your refund. I had similar very recently with curry’s and a TV I bought online. They tried saying that since I’d turned it on it was now classed as used, needless to say I got my refund plus a £50 gift card. 
    Curry’s can still fuck off though. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    grungebob said:
    Just tell them their faulty. That you have no desire to have them replaced and that you don’t think their of merchantable quality. 
    You are allowed to inspect any goods for quality and use. This you have done. Failure to allow you to open the box before choosing to return the items is a restriction of your rights granted to you under UK law. 

Email then  that and you get your refund. I had similar very recently with curry’s and a TV I bought online. They tried saying that since I’d turned it on it was now classed as used, needless to say I got my refund plus a £50 gift card. 
    Ah fuck currys. 

A few years ago I saved up mighty hard for a new laptop. 

Boxing day sales came around and so I went in and bought an Hp Pavilion 'gaming' laptop. 

I dont know much about technology, but it was about £550 and had an i7 processor thingy, and a graphics card something like a radeon? 
    Advertised online as having those, and an illuminated keyboard. 

Anyway, all I need it to handle is fairly lightish full hd video editing. 

Got it home, no illuminated keyboard, and no proper graphics card, just the standard integrated whatever is 'stock' type thing. 

I highly doubt its a machine that could handle a game but for editing it seems ok. 

So I went back, showed the bloke there the screenshot of the exact same model on their website, and showed him the description advertising it as having 2 features that the product supplied clearly hasnt got. 

I asked for a replacement, one that comes with the features I've paid for. 

He said none do at that price. 

I said ok, well as it is clearly not as described, I'll have my money back. 

He said something laughable like 'it must be a different model'. 

I showed him otherwise. 

He went on to say he cant do anything. 

I explained he was breaching my statutory rights. 

He didnt care or know what to do but merely said the manager wasnt in that day. 

Who's next in charge I asked. 

'Me' he said. 

So I left. 

A complaint went in. 

I got a £50 voucher. 

I asked them if they thought that was acceptable, as I cannot buy an illuminated keyboard and a better graphics card for £50 through currys, and have them fitted, to make the laptop up to the spec it was advertised and sold as. 

I didnt really care, I was ok with £50 as the laptop did seem ok otherwise. 
    But they wouldnt give anymore. 

A few days later the sd card stopped working. 

They again wouldnt replace it there and then and instead insisted it had to be booked in with their tech people for a few days. 

Whom couldnt fix it. So ended up replacing it.

All within 2 weeks of buying the sodding thing. 

If I could go back and take them to task about it I would! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ionianionian Frets: 100
    I hate Game. You have to answer 846 questions and turn down their attempts to upsell everything in the shop just to purchase something at a 25% premium on online prices. If they are an example of the High Street, it's no wonder the High Street is dying. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12313
    skunkwerx said:
    grungebob said:

Ah fuck currys. 

A few years ago I saved up mighty hard for a new laptop. 

Boxing day sales came around and so I went in and bought an Hp Pavilion 'gaming' laptop. 

I dont know much about technology, but it was about £550 and had an i7 processor thingy, and a graphics card something like a radeon? 
    Advertised online as having those, and an illuminated keyboard. 

Anyway, all I need it to handle is fairly lightish full hd video editing. 

Got it home, no illuminated keyboard, and no proper graphics card, just the standard integrated whatever is 'stock' type thing. 

I highly doubt its a machine that could handle a game but for editing it seems ok. 

So I went back, showed the bloke there the screenshot of the exact same model on their website, and showed him the description advertising it as having 2 features that the product supplied clearly hasnt got. 

I asked for a replacement, one that comes with the features I've paid for. 

He said none do at that price. 

I said ok, well as it is clearly not as described, I'll have my money back. 

He said something laughable like 'it must be a different model'. 

I showed him otherwise. 

He went on to say he cant do anything. 

I explained he was breaching my statutory rights. 

He didnt care or know what to do but merely said the manager wasnt in that day. 

Who's next in charge I asked. 

'Me' he said. 

So I left. 

A complaint went in. 

I got a £50 voucher. 

I asked them if they thought that was acceptable, as I cannot buy an illuminated keyboard and a better graphics card for £50 through currys, and have them fitted, to make the laptop up to the spec it was advertised and sold as. 

I didnt really care, I was ok with £50 as the laptop did seem ok otherwise. 
    But they wouldnt give anymore. 

A few days later the sd card stopped working. 

They again wouldnt replace it there and then and instead insisted it had to be booked in with their tech people for a few days. 

Whom couldnt fix it. So ended up replacing it.

All within 2 weeks of buying the sodding thing. 

If I could go back and take them to task about it I would! 
    I would’ve reported them to Advertising Standards for that, that’s a massive misdescription and they would’ve got nailed to the wall. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    Don’t know why my earlier post was lolled that’s a response that will work as is ,defensible.  It’s also the same advice citizens advice , my home insurance legal team both gave me. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    grungebob said:
    Don’t know why my earlier post was lolled that’s a response that will work as is ,defensible.  It’s also the same advice citizens advice , my home insurance legal team both gave me. 
    I don’t know, because I didn’t lol it, but it might’ve been the last bit, when you said, Curry’s can still fuck off, though..
    it made me chuckle..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7743
    I’ve always found Amazon returns policy to be faultless. If I’m buying new consumables, I mostly do it there. Just returned a shite digital radio, and paid of headphones. Hassle free. 
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    TheMarlin said:
    I’ve always found Amazon returns policy to be faultless. If I’m buying new consumables, I mostly do it there. Just returned a shite digital radio, and paid of headphones. Hassle free. 

The amazing thing I found this month with Amazon returns is when sending it free via post office you get a refund within an hour of the post office scanning it.
  • This is why the high street is dying. 

Not only do you get nearly everything cheaper online, but you also get absolute protection and the right to return stuff no questions asked. There's no way a store paying rent, rates and wages can compete. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • On two occasions I've had the refund from Amazon while the goods are still in my hallway awaiting collection !  Couldn't believe it.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4286
    underdog said:
    TheMarlin said:

The amazing thing I found this month with Amazon returns is when sending it free via post office you get a refund within an hour of the post office scanning it.
    Even when they don’t get the goods they still do it pretty darn quickly. 

I received two disco lights for christmas pressies for my wife’s cousins kids. One was smashed to bits. The other fine, but we wanted matching presents, so it was useless. 

I used the printerless return solution. Sealed the box. Dropped it off at the local drop off point for collection. Label was printed and attached to the box. 

Next day checked the return status and it said ‘Awaiting drop off’. 

Contacted customer services and they just emailed back within 2 hours to say both had been refunded!? 

I asked what what had happened to my return and they said they had no idea but hoped the refund would resolved my issue. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to