Helix Vs Princeton

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
 I'm a paid-up member of the Helix fan club. 

But:

Yesterday I plugged into my Helix, played a bit, and fiddled a bit.

Today I plugged into my Princeton and played a lot. 

I think if the Princeton could do its thing at the vast range of different volumes the active FRFR I use with the Helix allowed I'd be entering a new phase of gear-dom. 

Flexibility is still winning. Just. 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    Miked Princeton for the win!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Redemption is but a small fender amp away.........
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Princetons are probably my favourite Fender amps - their core tone is really musical.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I love my Deluxe Reverb but still really really want a Princeton too.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Love a Princeton. One day I'll get another!
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Princeton = Pensioner

HELIX = Great man, popular with hot women and definitely not old. 

5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Princeton: winner every single time it’s plugged in. Nothing can beat it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    timmysoft said:
    Princeton = Pensioner

Princeton = Experienced, stylish, proven, suave campaigner. Think James Bond.

Helix = Young upstart with flashy clothes and a big mouth, but questionable substance.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31588
    timmysoft said:
    Princeton = Pensioner

You'd think this guy looked like some kind of young rock god from all his recent "you're old" posts.

Spoiler alert - he doesn't. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    p90fool said:
    timmysoft said:
    Princeton = Pensioner

You'd think this guy looked like some kind of young rock god from all his recent "you're old" posts.

Spoiler alert - he doesn't. 
    It’s cute that you have a crush on me, I’m fine with that.
    Not at all, I was just curious as to why a rational, informative contributor who'd been here for years suddenly started acting really oddly, just spewing out repetitive insults. 

You always used to have something worthwhile to say, it's just a shame, that's all. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I love my Deluxe Reverb but still really really want a Princeton too.
    I traded up to DRRI from PRRI, no regerts
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    A Princeton that switched from stock to stage-volume would be epic, although doubtless unachievable without significant compromises at one setting. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    How loud are you running it at home Tim?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    TimmyO said:
    A Princeton that switched from stock to stage-volume would be epic, although doubtless unachievable without significant compromises at one setting. 
    Get two, or more if you plan to gig them at volume ;)

See Ryan Adams create a lovely din with 2 -->

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I gigged my Princeton miked into a Mackie wedge monitor, effectively giving me the amp at its perfect sweet spot and a master volume control on the wedge. 

I know it's an extra cab cab to carry, but it's also a built in backup if you also chuck an amp sim pedal in your gig bag. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Strikes me with anything where there's a lot of settings/ flexibility/ options/ ways to approach it, that if you're just sitting down to mess around then those options can be a distraction.

A contrasting story; I spent a bit of time putting a Helix patch together that covers pretty much all the sounds I use - Voxy cleans, relatively compressed, thick sounding but not overly high gain distortion, compressor, sd-1, rat, couple of different delays, spring and particle reverb on rare occasions, wah in front... Favourite Ownhammer IR with 3 or 4 alternatives (basically a 2x12 closed back v30 cab & an open back 2x12 alnico blues cab)...

And for the last week I've been using it to record guitar for an album I'm putting together. Very little tweaking on a song-by-song basis, just hard at work tracking guitars. The immense flexibility of the Helix isn't a distraction at this point because all those extra amps, effects, routing options don't matter to me. I've got a patch that's pretty much there, based on the sounds that suit my taste and style.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Cirrus said:
    Strikes me with anything where there's a lot of settings/ flexibility/ options/ ways to approach it, that if you're just sitting down to mess around then those options can be a distraction.

A contrasting story; I spent a bit of time putting a Helix patch together that covers pretty much all the sounds I use - Voxy cleans, relatively compressed, thick sounding but not overly high gain distortion, compressor, sd-1, rat, couple of different delays, spring and particle reverb on rare occasions, wah in front... Favourite Ownhammer IR with 3 or 4 alternatives (basically a 2x12 closed back v30 cab & an open back 2x12 alnico blues cab)...

And for the last week I've been using it to record guitar for an album I'm putting together. Very little tweaking on a song-by-song basis, just hard at work tracking guitars. The immense flexibility of the Helix isn't a distraction at this point because all those extra amps, effects, routing options don't matter to me. I've got a patch that's pretty much there, based on the sounds that suit my taste and style.
    Yeah I think distraction takes over cos I don’t have a current real life musical project to focus on - so no ‘need’ for a particular sound, hence lots of faffing. 

Sounds like a good patch! 
    Red ones are better. 
    newi123 said:
    How loud are you running it at home Tim?
    Depends - the mood usually takes me in the evening so pretty quietly then 

had a beautiful sound last night with volume on like 2! With reverb and trem

lets do that studio session we discussed! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I'm not too much of a fan of the Helix with FRFR speakers, but fed direct into a valve power amp and guitar cab, I think they are amazing and require very little in the way of tweaking. They are so easy to create patches and have so much functionality. I probably do less tweaking with a Helix than with amp and pedal board setup. 

TBH, I'd choose a Helix / valve power amp / nice 2 x12 over a Princeton any day of the week. Then again, i'd choose a Delux over a Princeton too.