DADGAD tuning

What's Hot
Ok....so I've ventured into the weird (to me at present) and wonderful world of DADGAD tuning. First two impressions are.......

1) I'm making some surprisingly nice sounds.........by using less fretting fingers.
2) Its got me using the Ibanez archtop that was a bit of a impulse purchase around 2 years ago. 

This situation might mean a reprieve for the archtop as I hadn't been using it and was considering selling it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    Flipping love dadgad for instantly sounding competent on an acoustic. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    When I used to play acoustic a lot more I really liked alt tunings, it seemed easier to be creative. DADGAD is a good starter
  • get a nice thick fuzz pedal and crank it up. bliss
    How very rock and roll
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    I did that this year when I got Ill  and needed something different to focus on, as gigging stopped.
    i got frustrated by how little music is out there that I could find that want just a similar Celtic jig , or the French bloke who plays things sounding like Celtic jigs
    if anyone has any sources for some more modern styles of DADGAD or similar, I’d appreciate some links . Ta

i round it useful to re-examine the finger board and interval relationships, and it has helped my normal playing a lot 
  • Sham61Sham61 Frets: 26
    I enjoy playing Rory Gallagher's "Out on the Western Plain" in DADGAD. Very atmospheric to me.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Black Mountain Side ("borrowed from Bery Jansch) and Kashmir.

• I'm loving acoustic open tunings at the moment, writing some arrangements for some songs in my mate's band, they normally play in drop b for the full band but I've changed the tunings slightly to make the top strings ring out more. Sounds good!
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    I use DADGAD and open D for nearly everything at the moment -- a lot of folk stuff but I have also done indie rock, it works fine.
  • If you are using DADGAD on an archtop you may want to check out this guy's arrangements of jazz classics; 

• Check out Pierre Bensusan too - almost everything he does is in DADGAD - great stuff: