Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ibanez 2019 New Models

What's Hot

Comments

• I like the 12 string semi and the Talman bass. Everything else- ugh.

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Ooooo, Chrome boy!
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    Just counted 30 new Ibanez uploads in my youtube subscriptions between various retailers and feel an early onset of NAMM fever already. hahaha
    I'm really looking forward to being interested in them this month, frustrated you can't get them for the next 4 months, and then forgetting all about them until 6 months after that when next years unavailable models are revealed.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Im actually saying this. For once, Ibanez are actually using colours rather than black which is fantastic. Model wise, they have a had a few major tweaks like SS frets, use of Fishman and BKP pick ups, lumen fret markers etc. Really cool features, some of the stuff is abit meh but its a real difference to the last few years so hats off to them.  Its not just to see the difference in models and if people are meh, fair enough. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Jetfire said:
    For once, Ibanez are actually using colours rather than black which is fantastic. 
    Some of those exotic tops and 'bursts make the 'nez stuff resemble Feline Guitars. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    edited January 2019
    Sporky said:
    Schnozz said:
    Sporky said:
    Who? 
    Exactly.
    Ah - looked them up. Def Leppard, right? 

As I said, totes irrelevant for the last 20-30 years. 
    Going by that logic, Gibson shouldn't have a Pete Townshend Artist Model, because The Who have been 'totes irrelevant' for the last 20-30 years - Drew should have an Artist Model instead, because he's up and coming and might become famous in the future, so the multi-million fan base can come later. Sound business acumen.

Just an Ibanez Destroyer would be nice.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hairmetalhairmetal Frets: 319
    Look a like Paul Stanley has lost his signature line as well as his voice....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    Jetfire said:
    Yeah, love the pickup config and colour on that one!
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Apparently... There will be more to come at NAMM..... 
  • No nice S series really. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Bit meh for me. But there again, I've had Ibanez guitars over the years. None of them lasted.
    What were the problems with the Ibanez guitars you had? 

IMO, durability of an instrument is a quality often overlooked. 
    Zero problems really. They were lovely guitars in many respects, especially the RG721 Premium that I had. Some really nice sounds on the 5-position switch too. I just didn't like the way they played. Necks were too thin, frets a bit too stabby.

Bye!

• SporkySporky Frets: 28034
    Schnozz said:

Going by that logic, Gibson shouldn't have a Pete Townshend Artist Model, because The Who have been 'totes irrelevant' for the last 20-30 years - Drew should have an Artist Model instead, because he's up and coming and might become famous in the future, so the multi-million fan base can come later. Sound business acumen.

Sound business acumen is having signature guitars for artists who are relevant. So Def Leppard - no.

I reckon a lot more people know Pete Townshend's name than whoever it was played guitar for Def Leppard. I'd go so far as to suggest that anyone who thinks they remember Def Leppard is probably actually thinking of Whitesnake.

Even so, how many guitars are sold based on pensioner signatures?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I am disappointed to see that some of the models I liked the most seem to have gone. For example the long-running and well-priced RG2550Z Prestige with pick-guard mounted HSH DiMarzios (a ToneZone, a True Velvet and an Air Norton) seems to have gone, along with all the other HSH Prestige RGs. The nearest current model seems to be the RG550DX from the still Japanese-built Genesis collection, which is fitted with Ibanez pickups and looks a lot less classy to my eyes. (The RG350DXZ Premium also has a similar styling to the seemingly discontinued RG2550Z.)

Same story with the RG3770FZ Prestige, which had body-mounted DiMarzio HSH pickups and a flamed top. Now the nearest models seem to be the rather 'blingy'  RG1070FM Premium (which at least does have stainless steel frets) or the much more expensive RG8570Z J Custom. (Which seems to be unchanged, lacking stainless frets.)

Also looks like the standard Talman range has gone, after the Prestige models were discontinued last year. No sign yet of the Roadcore models either. I have read that that Prestige 'S' models have also gone from some markets, including the US.

What I would really like to see are some additional AZ models, or even better a £500+ reduction on  the Tom Quayle signature model.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    Sporky said:
    Schnozz said:

Sound business acumen is having signature guitars for artists who are relevant. So Def Leppard - no.

I reckon a lot more people know Pete Townshend's name than whoever it was played guitar for Def Leppard. I'd go so far as to suggest that anyone who thinks they remember Def Leppard is probably actually thinking of Whitesnake.

As one of the world's best-selling music artists, Def Leppard have sold more than 100 million records worldwide,[8] and have two albums with RIAA diamond certificationPyromania and Hysteria.[9] They are one of only five rock bands with two original studio albums selling over 10 million copies in the U.S.[10][11] The band were ranked No. 31 in VH1's "100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock"[12] and ranked No. 70 in "100 Greatest Artists of All Time".[13] Def Leppard will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2019.[14]

Keep trying.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    Schnozz said:
    Sporky said:
    Schnozz said:

As one of the world's best-selling music artists, Def Leppard have sold more than 100 million records worldwide,[8] and have two albums with RIAA diamond certificationPyromania and Hysteria.[9] They are one of only five rock bands with two original studio albums selling over 10 million copies in the U.S.[10][11] The band were ranked No. 31 in VH1's "100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock"[12] and ranked No. 70 in "100 Greatest Artists of All Time".[13] Def Leppard will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2019.[14]

Keep trying.

All that is  irrelevant compared to the question "Do kids rush out and buy guitars because of Def leppard?"

I'd argue the answer is no and on that basis they would be much better trying to arrange an Ed Sheeran Sig.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    You do realise most of those references are from twenty years ago, right? So, again, irrelevant except to musical historians. 

Also the link to the claim that they've sold over 100 million records reveals they've not even sold half that many.

Either way they are not a relevant present-day operation, and the idea that Ibanez should be giving them signature instruments is teetering on the edge between funny and ludicrous.

[edit] Just curious - why are you so invested in this? 
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Phil Collen's already got a long standing relationship with Jackson, and his PC1 is a great guitar.

Not for the kids perhaps, but Def Leppard's have just completed a successful tour marking 31yrs of The Hysteria release. Very well attended so I guess it depends on your definition of relevant.

Not for the kids perhaps, but Def Leppard's have just completed a successful tour marking 31yrs of The Hysteria release. Very well attended so I guess it depends on your definition of relevant.
    Very well attended by, at a guess, a fairly narrow demographic who don't buy a lot of Ibanez guitars?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    Irrelevant for the past 20-30 years = Selling out arenas and stadiums in every country the decide to tour, still........
    Irrelevant for the past 20-30 years = Selling out arenas and stadiums in every country the decide to tour, still........
    And yet most people, I'll bet, don't even realise they're still going. They are irrelevant, and the idea that Ibanez would have a Def Leppard signature (which is where we started) is daft.