Hardtail Strat like playing a Tele?

What's Hot
I am enjoying my Tele a lot more than my Strat these days and was wondering if a hardtail strat might bridge (No pun intended) the gap.

I already have 5 springs in my strat but it is not blocked off. Would blocking it off make it more like a hardtail or is there a clear difference in feel between the ht and a standard strat?

I know there is more to consider than just the trem, like the pups and string spacing etc...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• In my experience, a ‘genuine’ hardtail - as in ‘non-trem’ model has a more ‘direct’ tone, more akin to a Tele. They are still very clearly ‘a Strat’ - but the attack is somewhere between a Tele and a trem-equipped Strat. Blocking the trem isn’t the same - they still have that ‘airy’ quality that you don’t get from a Tele.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ive got a fender modern player tele. which is a tele shaped guitar but with a "belly" cut. it has 3 pickups, a tele lipstick at neck, a strat type in the middle and a coil splittable humbucker at bridge. this guitar feels to me like a strat/tele hybrid, it does those in between pickup sounds.
  • I had a hardtail Strat and it still felt like a Strat. Nothing like a Tele. I have 5 springs and deck all my regular Strats and they don’t feel like Tele’s either. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • Hard to put into words, but in terms of feel you dont get that solid no nonsense feel.

Would be interesting to see what a Strat routed as a Tele felt like.  Something like this:

http://imgur.com/a/uJpArKI

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    edited December 2018
    I have a couple of hardtail strats.  One is a Bravewood copy of my 57 Strat, but with a hardtail.  It has BK Veneer Board pickups (even though it has a maple neck), as Tim suggested they would work well in a hardtail.  The other is this Tele/Strat Hybrid:

It has string through the body and a tele neck.  Both of them have a different attack and tone to a trem Strat, but neither of them sounds like a Tele.  They also feel like Strats when you play them, partly due to how they sit (just like a strat), and the string tension is different in the one with the hardtail Strat bridge.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In my experience, a ‘genuine’ hardtail - as in ‘non-trem’ model has a more ‘direct’ tone, more akin to a Tele. They are still very clearly ‘a Strat’ - but the attack is somewhere between a Tele and a trem-equipped Strat. Blocking the trem isn’t the same - they still have that ‘airy’ quality that you don’t get from a Tele.
    Pretty much this. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • PhilKing said:
    ..and the string tension is different in the one with the hardtail Strat bridge.
    Whats the difference? What one has more tension?
    The regular Tele has more tension.  I don't know if it is the saddles or the break angle of the strings, but it feels a little stiffer with the same gauge strings
  • PhilKing said:
    The regular Tele has more tension.  I don't know if it is the saddles or the break angle of the strings, but it feels a little stiffer with the same gauge strings
    Interesting! Cheers :+1: 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2331
    PhilKing said:
    I have a couple of hardtail strats.  One is a Bravewood copy of my 57 Strat, but with a hardtail.  It has BK Veneer Board pickups (even though it has a maple neck), as Tim suggested they would work well in a hardtail.  The other is this Tele/Strat Hybrid:

It has string through the body and a tele neck.  Both of them have a different attack and tone to a trem Strat, but neither of them sounds like a Tele.  They also feel like Strats when you play them, partly due to how they sit (just like a strat), and the string tension is different in the one with the hardtail Strat bridge.
    That’s a beautiful looking guitar Phil. 
    edited December 2018
    Thanks very much, though it is a bit blingy!  It really sustains and the feel is closer to a Tele than my other hardtail.  I did a couple of changes to it after that pick, though nothing major.  I got a new scratch plate made with 2 3-way switches, which gives me any combination of the pickups.  The pickups are McNelly T-bar and S-bar, which are a little more fatter than regular Fender styles https://mcnellypickups.com/collections/tele/products/t-bar-bridge

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I've a hardtail strat and two teles. The higher power punch of a tele and the bridge plate feature make for a very different sound and response. Both guitars are very giggable and cover lots of styles, but each only does it's own thing exclusively. 
  • My main guitar is a hardtail strat. In terms of tone and feel it is, undoubtedly and unapologetically, a strat. I regard a tele as a very different beast, whereas I'd see getting a trem strat as a minor variation. 
  • My main guitar is a Tele and the closest I’ve found is my Musicman Albert Lee which is effectively a hard tail Strat with a bridge pickup that has a base plate.
    Feel and sounds are as close as I’ve got.
    For a while I had a Tele with 3 pickups (Nashville style), but the 5 way switching gave me neck & bridge in position 3. As a Tele player that was about the best compromise. All 3 Tele selections with the 2 strat ones that matter.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I've never played a hardtail Strat that I actually liked.
    I can't even deck the trem on a regular Strat, the first thing I try to do is full up on it to get some warble.

YMMV of course but IMHO to get something approximating a Tele sound and feel you need a base plate and a tele bridge, ideally with 3 saddles.

My advice is don't try to make a guitar into something it is not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • My input, based on being a tele player most of my life, and latterly, eventually, finding a strat that I liked (2002 highway one - possibly the bridge spacing was what won me over)...  Have you tried a squire 51?  I picked one up that had been modded with a 3 saddle tele bridge and found it was a perfect mashup of the two.  Amazing guitar.
  • My input, based on being a tele player most of my life, and latterly, eventually, finding a strat that I liked (2002 highway one - possibly the bridge spacing was what won me over)...  Have you tried a squire 51?  I picked one up that had been modded with a 3 saddle tele bridge and found it was a perfect mashup of the two.  Amazing guitar.
    That's funny @MooseAboot , I did buy one but it was the older model without the string through body so I moved it on but I am thinking of getting the later model and changing the neck to something akin to a Baja. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    Mounting the pickup in the bridge plate is a key part of the Tele sound.  Don't think it will ever sound like a Tele without a Tele bridge.  @ThorpyFX built a set net SG style guitar with a Tele bridge, and bridge pickup.  Don't know how close that sounds to a Tele.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited January 2019
    Hardtail Strats bear absolutely no resemblance to Teles in tone, playing, dynamics or looks!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

See I am understand why a hardtail Strat wouldn’t sound like a Tele. Bridge is different, pickup is different, method of mounting pickup is different etc etc.
    But it does surprise me that this one doesn’t sound like a Tele because other than the silhouette and the neck & middle pickups it is essentially a Tele in terms of construction, pickups etc. Does the body shape really change the sound that much ? 
    I get it more with say a V where the wood around the bridge area is radically different but on this one other than the edge contouring it’s fundamentally the same