DIY 212 speaker cab build...

What's Hot
LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
edited April 2019 in Making & Modding
I’ve decided that 2019 will be the year I build myself a decent cab (i'm handy enough with wood), buy a very nice speaker or 2 to go inside and a low power lunchbox head to drive it. Most of the time will be at quite home levels but will be able to open it up every now and again.

To start off I could do with some ideas for the cab design, I’m 90% sure it’ll be a 112, but part of me thinks I should make a staggered 212 because bigger reasons. Things I’d like the cab and speaker(s) to achieve are...
  • Sound good at low volume, (big, smooth, and expressive tones)
  • Decent bass weight at low volumes (I realise that’s a tough one)
  • Work with a lower powered head (5w or less)
  • Suitable for Blues, Metal and Rock – (all played badly by a 39yr old who doesn’t practice enough).

What do you think? Is a 212 ott for home use, or will it give me the bass response I’d like. Or is a single 12” speaker in a larger, perhaps sealed or ported cab the way to go? Closed or open back?

If you know of any plans or basic cab designs for 112 or 212s please post them here,  all comments and advice very welcome.

Cheers.

(I’ll post pictures, though it’ll be in the spring before I can start making.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
    Ooh, I’m going to watch this with interest. I have a EVM-12 that I plan on building a Thiele cab for this year. I’ve found plans on the Internet, but need hints and tips. Also need to find a good source of ply (I’m not using B&Q crap)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • LordOxygenLordOxygen Frets: 319
    edited January 2019
    Find your nearest proper timber merchant for ply, it'll cost more than B&Q but worth it for projects like this, esp if the wood will be exposed.

A ported cab could do well at home, could you link to the plans you have please? Although I expect it's harder to get right.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Whilst B&Q isn't cheap they will run your sheet down into planks for you. Accurately too. Don't plan on doing it with a circular saw, it will be inaccurate . Saw table at a push but it'll need two people minimum. 

If you want plans for a vertical 2x12 or a convertible 1x12, pm me and I can let you have a pdf. 
    @mrkb B&Q sell 18mm birch ply,  or at least they used to. Excellent quality if a bit dear. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    I would do a vertical 2x12" with a semi-open back - maybe even internally divided, with a closed and ported bottom half and an open-back top - with a 'deep' speaker like a G12H-30 at the bottom and a 'warm' speaker like a Greenback at the top. Maybe even a 12" (bottom) and 10" (top) mix...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    I fancy this. Do we think a man could make a living doing this?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for the replies. I've been doing some reading deep into the corners of the internet. 
    I'm now leaning towards a 2x12 with the drivers set diagonally, this sort of thing..

I like the idea of internally dividing a 2x12 so one side is open back the other closed, if I made the cab taller it could be done will still being able to offset the drivers which I like purely for the aesthetics. Along this lines...

• sawyer said:
    Not very easily I would have thought. The price of new cabs from volume manufactures are low. I guess there's money to be made from very high spec boutique cabs from people willing to pay, but that will be a small market.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    sawyer said:
    Not very easily I would have thought. The price of new cabs from volume manufactures are low. I guess there's money to be made from very high spec boutique cabs from people willing to pay, but that will be a small market.
    Yeah think ya right:( Just a sudden mad pipe dream to get out of 'working for the man'
  • My 212 build had diagonal speakers. I can't remember where I got the idea, but saw plans somewhere. I used MDF from B&Q or Homebase and got vinyl and other hardware from Maplin.

Bloody heavy, but not as heavy as my Hartke 410!
  • Been reading and watching YouTube speaker comparisons. 
    I quite fancy taking a punt on a Celestion Type A paired with a V type. They sound a bit meh on their own but appear to work very well together.
    edited April 2019
    Decided to crack on and get building a 212 cab seeing as the speakers turned up about 6 weeks ago.
    I bought a decent sheet of birch ply last weekend and with my table saw, router and a selection of hand tools, i've now got the shell of a speaker cab. the baffle is just resting in place at the moment and the cab needs internal bracing and a back. 

I'm in two minds about finishing...cream tolex and a dark grill cloth or a dark stain and light grill cloth. Not sure, any suggestions welcome. 

I'll post more pics when I've done some more work on it. 

(edit to restore image links)

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Very tidy work so far!  What dimensions did you decide to go for in the end?

I've also finally started a new combo shell build.  Will put a thread up when I get a bit further with it
    edited April 2019
    CHrisP86 said:
    Very tidy work so far!  What dimensions did you decide to go for in the end?

I've also finally started a new combo shell build.  Will put a thread up when I get a bit further with it
    Thank you, Outside dimensions are 560mm x 645mm x 285mm
    Good luck with your project.

I spent a fair amount of time thinking about how to get the design right and as compact as practically possible. The drivers will protrude behind the double thickness front face so there's very little room for error. The hardest part is taking care not to damage anything with a slip of a tool or a knock on the workbench, it's a large thing to keep moving around.

Made some good progress today, got the internal bracing cut and fitted along with the three piece back, I used my router table to add some extra detail. The front baffle can be removed should I ever feel the need to, internal guides help it slide in and out. 

The next part should be easy but it's the part I'm dreading - drilling holes in the back to secure the panels. They need to be dead straight, I think i'll make a jig for my pillar drill to help with this, using a hand drill is doomed to fail. 

(edit to restore image links)

• CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Nice!

I know what you mean about taking care.  I've had a tonne of filling and sanding to do, but then the pine i'm using is really soft and the router tore it apart on the roundovers.  Maybe i was too aggressive with it.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I can’t see the photos. Am I the only one?
    edited April 2019
    I think i messed up imgur and managed to delete the wrong pics, I'll fix it this evening.
    Sorry about that. 
    lukedlb said:
    I can’t see the photos. Am I the only one?
    Should be fixed now...

I've ordered the fittings to secure the back panels and grill cloth, feet and a handle from tube town in Germany, fingers crossed it will all be here in time for the bank holiday weekend so I can get it mostly finished and playing.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Thanks. Looking great. Will the baffle remain inclined?