Is there any hope left for me?

What's Hot
SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Popped into Halfords to get a few car cleaning/detailing bits on their 2 for 3 offer.

Upon my return home I wondered how good the wax was I had bought, so out comes the guitar and gets given a good "detail" as the Yanks call it.

Good news is the guitar is now cleaner than the day I day I bought it, bad news is that I think any life I did have has made a bolt for the door and slammed it firmly behind it.

Please tell me I'm not alone, it's a dark place and I need other nerds to keep me company...........

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I hope you polished your frets when you were at it? ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

To a sparkly finish!

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    dust is my friend it shows me the parts of my guitar I don't use too much... the scratch plate under the strings is my least used place ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

I don't know about that level of guitar cleaning. A cursory rub over with a clean cloth is usually plenty.

I'm with the guys on fret polishing though. They feel amazing after a wire wooling, and a good going over with some metal polish wadding. Preparation is everything though. That wire wool gets everywhere.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I think I have OCD, I cannot stand to have a dirty car and somehow this is beginning to extend itself to guitars!

As you can tell I'm not to keen on the relic guitars! :)

• ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

A compulsive cleaner eh! If Mrs Electrodan ever meets you, I think she'll be off.

I played on the same bill as a well known 70's band a long time ago. Their guitarist had a red USA Strat with so much brown crud around his pickups, he probably wouldn't have been able to adjust them. It was like a tiny 360 degree disabled ramp around them.

He must have realised how daft it looked when I took my Candy Apple red MIJ Strat out and the scratch plate and pickup covers were pristine white, because the next time I played with them he had chiselled it off.

• zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    I clean em when I get them or after a setup, if they're gigging axes I let em rot.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    Once a year a rub under the strings for dust is about my limits. Mind my body chemistry is very neutral and strings can last me about 8 months so the finish doesn't get eeffected much either
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    SNAKEBITE said:

Please tell me I'm not alone, it's a dark place and I need other nerds to keep me company...........

You're not alone I'm afraid :(  

I'm not going to detail what I do for fear of ridicule; suffice to say its far worse than the odd 'wax on, wax off', lets just say it involves white cotton gloves and some cotton buds :(

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    Yes your are! - you need a checkup from the neckup deffo...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    You need one of these: ;)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    equalsql said:

I have one of these instead

equalsql said:
    I actually like the look of this, it won't do anything a cloth wouldn't do, yet it looks so functional!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom