Britpop. Who was the most impressive guitarist in your eyes.

What's Hot
I reckon, after seeing them live, Steve Craddock in Ocean Colour Scene.  Great musician
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Graham Coxon without a doubt. He's so innovative and imaginative in terms of rhythms, melodies and counter melodies. I never really liked him at the time, but listening in retrospect, he's fabulous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 19reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Dominic Chad from Mansun.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Bernard Butler for sure, and John Squire (if the Second Coming can be classed as britpop)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Loads of great players when you actually think about it. Graham Coxon is a good shout, as is Jonny Greenwood.

James Dean Bradfield is also a fantastic guitarist. Maybe not as innovative as the other two, but backs of energy, great melody and solos. Plus a great live player.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Graham Coxon for me as well. Stuff that sounds throwaway simple is often very crafted and almost always perfect for the song. Some of it is simple, but that's always perfect for the song too. No need to be clever for its own sake.

Such a broad range of influences too- he's very vocal about his love for the Beatles but you can hear XTC, King Crimson, punk and American alt-rock in there too. If you haven't already, watch the Pedal Show episode with Coxon to get some idea of how his mind works.

I was very taken with Richard Hawley's playing on the first Longpigs album (The Sun Is Often Out) too- considering how smooth and retro he tends to sound now it's surprisingly angular and aggressive.

Radiohead wouldn't thank you for the "britpop" tag (to be fair, they predated britpop and have long outlived just about any other band of that time), but you'd be hard pushed to name another band of the last 30 years who have done more to push guitar music somewhere else than it was before (whatever your opinion on where they've taken it).

...and I defy anyone to find a guitar solo on a britpop track more perfect than Andy Miller's on Dodgy's "In A Room".

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • RickydRickyd Frets: 149
    octatonic said:

I worked with his dad about 10 odd years ago and although I'd never heard of the band he got me listening and yes I agree, he was a really talented player. He had given up playing by then and was training to be a paramedic I think.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9528
    Graham Coxon for me as well. Stuff that sounds throwaway simple is often very crafted and almost always perfect for the song. Some of it is simple, but that's always perfect for the song too. No need to be clever for its own sake.

Such a broad range of influences too- he's very vocal about his love for the Beatles but you can hear XTC, King Crimson, punk and American alt-rock in there too. If you haven't already, watch the Pedal Show episode with Coxon to get some idea of how his mind works.

I was very taken with Richard Hawley's playing on the first Longpigs album (The Sun Is Often Out) too- considering how smooth and retro he tends to sound now it's surprisingly angular and aggressive.

Radiohead wouldn't thank you for the "britpop" tag (to be fair, they predated britpop and have long outlived just about any other band of that time), but you'd be hard pushed to name another band of the last 30 years who have done more to push guitar music somewhere else than it was before (whatever your opinion on where they've taken it).

...and I defy anyone to find a guitar solo on a britpop track more perfect than Andy Miller's on Dodgy's "In A Room".
    Andy Miller is a GOOD shout !
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Britpop was never my thing to be honest, but is Liam Tyson from Cast worth a mention?
  • Graham Coxon without a doubt. He's so innovative and imaginative in terms of rhythms, melodies and counter melodies. I never really liked him at the time, but listening in retrospect, he's fabulous.
    Almost word for word what I was about to type !
  • octatonic said:
    Fair play to him, he was certainly doing his own thing. Mansun were never particularly my thing, but they didn't sound like anybody else, and Dominic Chad put his stamp on that Whammy pedal.

Andy Miller is a GOOD shout !
    I put my Dodgy albums on a while ago when I was ripping CDs to go on to a network drive. Dodgy had some cracking tunes, and it never felt like they got their due back then. Perhaps they suffered from the "Shitty Beatles" effect.

• Nick McCabe deserves a mention; a master at creating sonic soundscapes (A Storm in Heaven, A Northern Soul), using delay, reverb etc. I'm not a fan of Urban Hymns where his skills sonic were under-utilized, but the first two albums are masterworks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Philly_Q said:
    Britpop was never my thing to be honest, but is Liam Tyson from Cast worth a mention?
    I really need to go back and listen to his stuff with Cast. I love what he plays with Robert Plant but don't remember much apart from some jangly strumming in Cast (admittedly I've never really listened to them, only hearing the odd track on the radio).
  • Philly_Q said:
    Personally I find the stuff he's doing now with Robert Plant's band more interesting than Cast, but I guess that still makes him an impressive guitarist from the britpop era, sort of...

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26965
    Nick McCabe deserves a mention; a master at creating sonic soundscapes (A Storm in Heaven, A Northern Soul), using delay, reverb etc. I'm not a fan of Urban Hymns where his skills sonic were under-utilized, but the first two albums are masterworks.
    Came here to say this. Him, Craddock, Greenwood, Coxon and Bradfield are top of the class for me. All in very different ways, obviously.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Kenwyn House - Reef. He was/is a superb guitar player.

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24267
    So far I have never knowingly listened to any of the mentioned players.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Outside Britpop really, but always thought Gaz Coombes was a great player of that era. 
    Philly_Q said:
    Personally I find the stuff he's doing now with Robert Plant's band more interesting than Cast, but I guess that still makes him an impressive guitarist from the britpop era, sort of...
    I only know him from the Plant connection really, but I knew he was in Cast and presumably he was already a good player then.  But Cast could sound like the Archies for all I know.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I always rated gaz coombes from supergrass 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    edited January 2019
    miserneil said:
    Kenwyn House - Reef. He was/is a superb guitar player.

I always thought of them as more of a hard rock band, at least to begin with.

But I guess there was a Britrock thing going on at the same time as Britpop - Reef, Terrorvision, 3 Colours Red, Feeder, The Wildhearts, Ash…. even The Almighty in one of their many incarnations.