Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Hobbies/jobs/educations that change your appreciation of films/books

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5354
    I think most of mine have been covered - almost anything computery/hackery and people doing CPR without the sound of breaking ribs (or singing Nellie the Elephant to get the rhythm).

The absolute pinnacle of computery annoyance is the "We've got his IP address …" leading to tracing someone with pin-point accuracy in the real world. Partly because it makes me want to scream "OH DO FUCK OFF" at the screen, but mostly because at work I increasingly get requests for "Can you tell me where <colleague in the shit> was on such-and-such day? Do we have their IP address or something?".  Apparently "Stop using words you don't understand" isn't an appropriate response.

Even <cough> years after she ever did any, Mrs Snags goes pretty nuts at anything touching on microbiology or lab science.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    edited January 2019
    As a dad, I find depictions of childbirth are usually laughable.

<stressful situation>
    Preggo: Ooh the dad, I feel a bit...
    <splosh>
    The dad: Oh fuck. Nobody's ever had a baby before and it's not as if you can read a book or go on a course or anything. Panic fuck shit.
    Preggo: AAAAAAARGH!!
    <plop>
    The dad: It's a boy! A three month old baby boy! The colour of an actual human and with no nasty shit all over him! Awww.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Anything to do with acoustics or audio engineering. Particularly, cop/detective shows where a recovered recording, which basically is white noise is run through a plug in and all of a sudden is a perfect recording of a voice.... usually the final piece of the puzzle...grrrr
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    As a dad, I find depictions of childbirth are usually laughable.

<stressful situation>
    Preggo: Ooh the dad, I feel a bit...
    <splosh>
    The dad: Oh fuck. Nobody's ever had a baby before and it's not as if you can read a book or go on a course or anything. Panic fuck shit.
    Preggo: AAAAAAARGH!!
    <plop>
    The dad: It's a boy! A three month old baby boy! The colour of an actual human and with no nasty shit all over him! Awww.
    Ha! Yeah, seems childbirth scenes are all, lets scream a bit then POP! It's a month old child fresh from the bath! Nice! 

Also when the cops have a really really blurry pixelated photo, and then say to the tech guy "enhance that" then suddenly it's a high resolution image that you can clearly see the villain has a small identifying mole above his left nostril..  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Got a mate who’s a lift engineer, he can’t watch Die Hard!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • About 15 years ago PC Plus (magazine) stated that 10BASE-T (RJ-45) would be faster then 10Base-2 (BNC). As I worked for a network supplier, we asked them where did they get there information from ?

After two days of lab testing we could not find any difference in speed as the transfer rate is 10Mbps. 

I do love so called IT experts :)

“Ken sent me.”
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308

Since becoming enlightened by all the threads Siraxeman started I've pretty much been disappointed in anything space related.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Since reading Einstein's theories I have realised that Doctor Who and Star Trek are total pants ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    As an engineer, computer programmer, maths and physics sort of chap, pretty much lots of things.
    Although specifically, all cinema. I was part of the design team that made the first digital cinema projector for Imax, which is now standard kit in all cinemas.
    I spend most of my time looking at the artifacts and installation cockups instead of the film.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Somewhat OT but ....ITV News. When did it become ok for the newsreader (mainly that Tom Bradby) to add smug little asides to every story. Really gets my goat....so much that I'm prepared to watch that greaseball Huw Edwards on BBC News in preference.

Back on topic....Thunderbirds! Moving swimming pools...my arse!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Since taking up spying as a hobby and a profitable sideline I've realised how unrealistic and stupid Spooks is. It's one of the most laughable spy series ever, comes a close second to the Jason Bourne films.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16291
    Myranda said:
    Watched the new Luther episode today and there is a scene where Loofa yells that he can't possibly pick the padlock because it's pick resistant ... but I have taken up lockpicking as a hobby, and one of the easy peasy can't possibly fail locks is the Masterlock M3 - which is what was on screen. A character who carries lockpicks with them regularly should have been able to pick it faster than the director could say "cut" 

As a computery person I feel 99.99% of everything ever said about computers in all TV/Film/Books is written by people who don't know what a computer is, what it's for or why you might use one... however, now that I've spent a few years with computer students I've realised that lots of people who should know these things don't so I feel less animosity to such things.

More specifically as a hackist - oh god no, it's never right (Notable exception would be Mr. Robot and even then not always perfect, or the beginning of Sneakers)

What things do other people know that make you cringe in movies and TV because you know it's BS?

Having now watched all of Luther I used my expert meteorological knowledge to spot that it isn't bright sunshine at 7:30pm in the middle of winter.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22689
    Neil said:
    I'm a big fan of  '40's Film Noir and you often see people driving cars with no dashboard (obviously to get a clearer shot of the actors)  but I don't let it spoil my enjoyment of a fantastic film.

Image result for postman always rings twice 1946
    I also love old films but I've never noticed that before!

Nice to see that great shot from The Postman Always Rings Twice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerx said:
    shoodurs said:
    skunkwerx said:
    Cardiac arrests.. 

Since doing ambulance work.. all of those cpr scenes leading to a hero remarkably waking up with no use of a defib.. 

Or alternatively movies seem to like having a bunch of doctors shocking an Asystole/flatline rhythm... 
    Wouldnt be done in real life, as it doesnt respond to defibrillation and is almost always fatal.. 

I've been a first aider at work for years and have recently done a couple of refreshers on defib.
    I cringe every time I see someone on tv or films doing heart compressions as it's nothing like real life.
    It's about time all schools taught first aid at every age group.
    Ah too true mate. 

Also worth mentioning the vague patting on the chest of the victim that's meant to pass for cardiac massage.
  • Neil said:
    If you are reasonably knowledgeable in any field you will be able to find fault in many TV shows.

The fact is however they are made as entertainment not documentaries and you have to suspend your inner nerd  if you want to enjoy them.  ;)

I'm a big fan of  '40's Film Noir and you often see people driving cars with no dashboard (obviously to get a clearer shot of the actors)  but I don't let it spoil my enjoyment of a fantastic film.

Off topic, but the photographic style of these films is absolutely awesome  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3606
    Neil said:
    If you are reasonably knowledgeable in any field you will be able to find fault in many TV shows.

The fact is however they are made as entertainment not documentaries and you have to suspend your inner nerd  if you want to enjoy them.  ;)

Off topic, but the photographic style of these films is absolutely awesome  
    It is indeed. It lends great atmosphere, a staple of noir.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3606
    Philly_Q said:
    Neil said:

I also love old films but I've never noticed that before!

Nice to see that great shot from The Postman Always Rings Twice.
    Another fan!  :)

The postman always rings twice is a favourite of mine too.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9576
    Now then - my postman knocks once and then posts a card through the letterbox!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6848
    Now then - my postman knocks once and then posts a card through the letterbox!
    Round here they half stuff it through the letterbox then proceed to knock half the driveways wall off by clambering over to next door.. 

Shitty name for a film that though.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...