What colour is my strat?

What's Hot
bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
edited January 2019 in Guitar
hi folks, I’ve only owned this strat for approx 25 years and never really known what colour it is.
one recently popped up in the classifieds advertised as ocean turquoise which looks very close to mine, but when I googled ocean turquoise, none of the photos really looked anything like mine.
i was in a shop today and they had a strat in lake placid which again was close but not quite the same and the online pics vary massively too.
any ideas people?
its an 88 standard if that’s any help.
cheers!
pics don’t quite show its true colour which isn’t greatly helpful I know.
https://i.imgur.com/FyxZJUN.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/GW8Dm4K.jpg

The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 879
    edited January 2019
    I'm no expert but this page makes me think it might be 68 Gun Metal Blue

Or maybe 90 Blue Pearl Burst (Dust)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that's Gun Metal Blue. A friend of mine has one, which looks just like that - although blues and some greens are notoriously hard to photograph. Ocean Turquoise is greener, and Lake Placid blue is less grey.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22730
    edited January 2019

I agree, Gun Metal Blue.

I had an '88 or '89 Strat Plus Deluxe in that colour, and I liked it so much I ordered my custom shop '70s hardtail in the same colour - although it turned out rather darker.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • revsorg said:
    I'm no expert but this page makes me think it might be 68 Gun Metal Blue

Or maybe 90 Blue Pearl Burst (Dust)
    ICBM said:
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that's Gun Metal Blue. A friend of mine has one, which looks just like that - although blues and some greens are notoriously hard to photograph. Ocean Turquoise is greener, and Lake Placid blue is less grey.
    Many thanks chaps. Just googled the gun metal blue and it’s bang on. I’d not heard of this colour before. I used to have a fender catalogue with colour chart and don’t ever remember seeing it in there.
    i can sleep easy now!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • The Motorcycle Boy says its black and White?

I could be wrong, but I think that late '80s to early '90s period is the only time that particular Fender colour has been available. 

They had quite a lot of unusual colours in those days, but then they reverted to the familiar old '50s and '60s custom colours.

The nearest equivalent now is the Mercedes Blue they use on some of the Clapton sig models.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Philly_Q said:

I could be wrong, but I think that late '80s to early '90s period is the only time that particular Fender colour has been available. 

They had quite a lot of unusual colours in those days, but then they reverted to the familiar old '50s and '60s custom colours.
    The best for me is 'Firestorm' - an extremely rare finish. I was offered one in the mid-90s for about the same price as a normal USA Std Strat, when they were about as unfashionable as they could possibly be, and stupidly turned it down... they're now quite sought-after.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:

Not 100% on this but I remember on the front cover of guitarist magazine they had an old beat up 60’s strat in the same colour.  Although it could have been one of the aforementioned colours that had darkened down with age.
    The Swamp City Shakers

• ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

The best for me is 'Firestorm' - an extremely rare finish. I was offered one in the mid-90s for about the same price as a normal USA Std Strat, when they were about as unfashionable as they could possibly be, and stupidly turned it down... they're now quite sought-after.

that’s a little bit lairy for my tastes. At least they didn’t put a tortoise shell guard on it!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1904
    edited January 2019
    Yes, Gun Metal Blue just like my 89/90 Strat Plus!

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    The Motorcycle Boy says its black and White?
    Rusty James can see it though? 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Philly_Q said:

Not 100% on this but I remember on the front cover of guitarist magazine they had an old beat up 60’s strat in the same colour.  Although it could have been one of the aforementioned colours that had darkened down with age.
    The pic in the OP looks like the charcoal frost I just got from MJT, which is less blue than the one in @bluechargeboy 's pic. 
  • bbill335 said:
    Philly_Q said:

The pic in the OP looks like the charcoal frost I just got from MJT, which is less blue than the one in @bluechargeboy 's pic. 
    Yeah that also looks very similar too. I’m gonna add another pic tomorrow and take it outside to see how it comes up in natural light.
    cheers for that!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • Daylight pic. 
    I’m leaning more towards gunmetal blue than charcoal frost.
    https://i.imgur.com/hNZIKzd.jpg
    The Swamp City Shakers

It's Gun Metal Blue!

I've got an old Fender catalogue at home, if I can find it I'll see what the available colours were.  It might be '89 or '90 though, possibly slightly different from the '88 options.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    Midnight?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

It's the same as my friend's one, which is also an '88 or '89. She bought it new so she's certain about the colour name.

I found a Fender price list dated 1 October 1988. 

Colour options for both the American Standard Strat and Strat Plus included....Gun Metal Blue.

The other available colours for the American Standard that year were:  Black, Brown Sunburst, Pewter, Torino Red, Graffiti Yellow and Arctic White.  And the guitar would've cost you $649.99.
  • Cheers for that folks.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    Yellow.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom