Question about swapping my Les Paul for a 335

What's Hot
soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
edited January 2019 in Guitar

I have a 2014 Les Paul standard (120th anniversary marker at the 12th fret) with Ox4 pickups A4, the robot tuners replaced with regular Gotoh ones and the PCB and pots in the control cavity replaced with 50s wiring, nice caps and a push-pull to take a pickup out of phase in the middle position for when the Peter Green mood takes you. 

But I'm sort of hankering for a 335.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether that sort of thing would work economically as a straight swap for a used 335? 

Really like the look of that there Gibson ES-335 Satin Walnut one. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    To clarify - What I'm asking is do the two guitars have the same relative value or would I be looking to pay extra on top for a swap? Cheers. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    You’ll probably need to top-up by a couple of hundred mate. Les Paul’s seem to be going for between 900 and 1.2k on the secondhand market dependent on condition, precise model and the speed with which a seller needs cash. 335s on the other hand are generally between 1.4-1.6k dependent on model, condition etc. Obviously expect to pay more and receive substantially less if dealing with a shop or guitar dealer.

Hope that helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers mate. It was that weird period when LP prices had gone through the roof, but then loads were being sold discounted plus the mods I've made I figured takes a bit off. Ah well. Will stick with what I have for now. 

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    I'd say a bit more than a couple of hundred. I'd reckon your Les Paul would fetch around £1,000. Rare to see 335s which aren't knackered for less than £1,500. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Right well that's that plan over then. Cheers. 

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Have you considered an Epiphone 335? I bought a Dot a couple of years ago, upgraded the pickups (and the wiring harness will be upgraded next week), stuck some 11s flatwounds on it and I love it. I would prefer a Gibson but I'm not prepared to pay north of 1.5k for one.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    80s tokai may be more like it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I think I'd rather for for an Eastman/Edwards/Tokai than an Epi. Have owned a few in the past and always felt very underwhelmed by them.

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Yep, good call about Tokai. Do they come up for sale often?
    No idea. I had one about 10 years ago. I'd be happy with an Edwards/Eastman too to be honest. 

edited January 2019
    Very nice. I used have an AS83 and stuck some cheap Tonerider PAFS in there and it was great. But gold hardware is awful unless you are BB King. 

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    edited January 2019
    I’ve got a traditional les Paul and an Es335, very lucky to have both. Really love both the guitars.  I paid £1650 for the 335, bought it off a chap that had hardly played it.
    That's the dream but unless something drastic changes soon I absolutely can't justify having 3 electrics right now. Have the LP and a Strat and a nice little parlour acoustic. 

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Almost the same here - an R6, a 330, 345 and a Lucille. As I play sitting down at home, I find that I like the bigger bodied guitars, so gravitate towards the '3's. Picked up the R6 last night though, and loved it. I'd agree about the general price difference between the LP and the 335 though - a couple of years ago, I picked up a 335 for £1400 and an ES-345 for the same price, both through eBay auctions. You're really looking (generally) at £1700 plus now.

eBay auction could be the best route to take if you want to pick up a 335, particularly if you're prepared to travel - I was the only bidder on the ES-345, which was in Shropshire and 'collection only'. Easy for me to get there, but it probably put people off. 

I do fancy another cherry dot 335 though - I think around £1750 should get one that hasn't been messed with. 
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Peach have a brand new new Memphis 335 dot in a horrendous Blue Burst for £1599. But yeah I'd rather drink bleach than have that finish on a guitar. 

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    soma1975 said:
    Peach have a brand new new Memphis 335 dot in a horrendous Blue Burst for £1599. But yeah I'd rather drink bleach than have that finish on a guitar. 
    Funnily enough, I quite like that, but I do like blue guitars. Not everyone's cup of tea though, obviously. Decent price though, presumably because of that.  
    Call me Dave.
    I’d go for a Pelham blue but that is horrid. 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    whatever the deal you reach, fundamentally, a 335 will never sound like a LP/vicerversa
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>