57 deluxe - volume problem?

What's Hot
newi123newi123 Frets: 860
So I recently bought a 57 custom deluxe. I'd swear it's lost some volume since I've had it - maybe 2 months.

I run it with a princeton 68, and when I bought the deluxe it seemed as loud if not slightly louder than the princeton. Now the princeton seems significantly louder. So I don't think its that I've just adjusted to the deluxe volume.

What if anything could cause this? All help appreciated before talking to the shop or recruiting a tech.

Thanks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    A dying valve is the most likely.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    I've swapped the power valves - would a preamp or rectifier have a similar effect? Cheers......
    edited January 2019
    newi123 said:
    I've swapped the power valves - would a preamp or rectifier have a similar effect? Cheers......
    It could do. Have a close look at the rectifier - there should be two filaments, like a preamp valve. If only one is working that would reduce the volume a bit, but also probably cause hum. If both are working it's probably OK.

The same with the preamp valves, but I would expect both to look OK - if either had a dead half, either one channel wouldn't work at all, or the whole amp wouldn't. But loss of gain/performance is also a possibility.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Ok - I do think it's down a bit on gain too!

Thanks for your help. Always appreciated!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    sorry - do I need to speak up??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • What speaker was in it? Jensen Alnico, Cel Blues, etc, drop volume when they break in. And then become unusable outside of a studio. Suggest you put a Cel G12H30 in there.  Strong chance it will solve the problem.  :+1: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What speaker was in it? Jensen Alnico, Cel Blues, etc, drop volume when they break in.
    I've never come across that, ever - if anything they increase in volume as the cone loosens up.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    What speaker was in it? Jensen Alnico, Cel Blues, etc, drop volume when they break in.
    I've never come across that, ever - if anything they increase in volume as the cone loosens up.
    +1 on what @ICBM said.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

ICBM said:
    Seemed to gain a bit when I swapped the rectifier valve.

Hadn't considered speakers getting louder. The bench mark for how loud the deluxe is is the princeton. But I have changed the speaker in the princeton, so maybe that's got louder with a bit of use rather than the deluxe losing volume. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    You do realise the two vol controls are interactive?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    Yes - plugged into the instrument input - the Mic volume actually makes it quieter if the Mic volume is up full. Is that correct?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    newi123 said:
    Gassage said:
    Yes - plugged into the instrument input - the Mic volume actually makes it quieter if the Mic volume is up full. Is that correct?
    Yes, c 75% is full dirt on the unused pot, IIRC>

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12326
    As a comparison how are they. I'm currently still in love with my 68 Princeton but always fancied a tweed deluxe. 
    Gassage said:
    newi123 said:
    Gassage said:
    Yes, c 75% is full dirt on the unused pot, IIRC>
    That sounds about right - cheers!
    munckee said:
    As a comparison how are they. I'm currently still in love with my 68 Princeton but always fancied a tweed deluxe. 
    I'm actually much preferring the 68! 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    newi123 said:
     But I have changed the speaker in the princeton, so maybe that's got louder with a bit of use rather than the deluxe losing volume. 
    When did you change the speaker and what did you put it, that could easily be the issue.

Changed for an eminence rajun cajun three months or so ago - has been gigged regularly since then, so it's prob wearing in nicely.