What turntable?

What's Hot

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Then again...it you change the feet on the Planar, you could get it lower. Pros and cons there for sure.
    Thank you for the comment, can you elaborate? Is it easy/are lower feet readily available? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    Feet are there for a reason.....
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7845
    rlw said:
    Yup. Don’t remove them. 
    TheMarlin said:
    rlw said:
    Yup. Don’t remove them. 
    I don’t think @Electro_Ham is on about removing them...just changing for lower profile items?
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    rico said:
    TheMarlin said:
    rlw said:
    Yup. Don’t remove them. 
    I don’t think @Electro_Ham is on about removing them...just changing for lower profile items?
    still not a wise move....
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    Right back to square one then, the 335x335x390 shelf...
  • ColsCols Frets: 6989
    Would a wall bracket be an option?

http://www.rega.co.uk/turntable-wall-bracket-1.html
    Cols said:
    Would a wall bracket be an option?

http://www.rega.co.uk/turntable-wall-bracket-1.html
    Not in our current flat, no. 
  • A chap I once worked with had his turntable on a 1/2" thick acrylic shelf which was in turn sitting on old-style bathroom basin supports bolted to the wall. Cool :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
    back in the 80s I used to handle the Mitsubishi Electric  account for TV and Hifi products. I used to  regularly meet with and send product for review to What HiFi...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    If you are going for a Planar, the older ones IMO are better, glass platters, RB250/300 arms, people say the 250 is a better arm but I dont really think it matters much. I had one years ago but it was sold as you do to ''upgrade'', TD160/SME2009 (sounded dull) Thorens TD150 mkii (great little table, loved it) , numerous vintage Duals, a bit meh most of the time, lots of boring old crap, now have a Logic DM101/Datum 2, its Ok I guess, I dont get hung up on audiophilia too much these days. Too much crap like speaker placement, room acoustics, unwanted vibrations blah blah not to mention expensive gear being sold with the understanding that what you already have isnt good enough to get any enjoyment from it, so I dont, nowadays I get my enjoyment from the music instead.
    But yeah, old Planars, RB250/300 , glass platters, cant go wrong.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6989
    rico said:
    It would be worth considering how the turntable is going to work in practice.  For example, I lower the record onto the 
    platter from above and need an overhead view when placing the needle.  It’s difficult to picture how you’ll load and unload records and manipulate the tonearm with the turntable in a narrow slot with limited overhead clearance.
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    edited January 2019
    rico said:
    Kuzma Stabi is probably too expensive (and possibly too high) but there might be other similar manufacturers that make that sort of deck configuration? You could turn it so the longest dimension is along the diagonal. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    edited January 2019
    I've got a Pro-Ject Elemental for sale with bespoke cover (that didn't come as standard). Probably the smallest conventional TT you'll get.
    edited January 2019
    I went to a hifi shop earlier and ordered a Pro-ject Debut III Audiophile and Phono Box, got a bit of a discount and I will collect it on Wednesday. It's 325mm wide so will fit into the proposed hole with a few mm to spare either side. The feet will sit comfortably on the shelf, the only downside is a bit of deck overhang but that isn't so bad. 

Now - what RCA cables? Is it all snake oil?
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    I’m glad you ordered something but there is now way a Debut 3 is 325mm wide. Might be 425mm
    edited January 2019
    the_jaffa said:
    I’m glad you ordered something but there is now way a Debut 3 is 325mm wide. Might be 425mm
    Sorry, I guess I mean 'depth' rather than width. It's going to fit so I am happy!

Edit: 
    Dimensions415 x 118 x 320 mm (WxHxD)
  • rico said:
    I went to a hifi shop earlier and ordered a Pro-ject Debut III Audiophile and Phono Box, got a bit of a discount and I will collect it on Wednesday. It's 325mm wide so will fit into the proposed hole with a few mm to spare either side. The feet will sit comfortably on the shelf, the only downside is a bit of deck overhang but that isn't so bad. 

Not quite, but you don't need to spend Russ Andrews prices. There are some good ones on Amazon - look for Kenable :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    rico said:
    the_jaffa said:
    Sorry, I guess I mean 'depth' rather than width. It's going to fit so I am happy!

Edit: 
    Dimensions415 x 118 x 320 mm (WxHxD)
    Ah, gotcha. Job’s a good’un then
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3443
    rico said:

Not quite, but you don't need to spend Russ Andrews prices. There are some good ones on Amazon - look for Kenable :)
    Surely a cable will depend on the cartridge? Now that's audiophile talk right there.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.