D Standard Suggestions

What's Hot
I’ve been playing lots of Gaslight Anthem recently- they tend to tune to D, so my tele is semi permanently in D Standard... I love this particular guitar & want to play it more, but it’s perfect for Gaslight... my tele Deluxe is in standard. 

What other good songs/bands use this tuning? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Gimme Shelter by Paul Brady (Sons of Anarchy Soundtrack).
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    Mastodon - a mix of D standard, drop C and drop A.
  • Four Year Strong and Volbeat play in D standard. Good tuning, has that low growliness!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6870
    Cky. 

For me Deron Miller is/was the king of catchy riffs. 

Add an octave pedal for extra authenticity!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    Four Year Strong and Volbeat play in D standard. Good tuning, has that low growliness!
    Yeah I like it as a tuning as well, low enough to sound heavy but not too low that it turns to mud.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I go a bit further and drop the lowest string, in a single guitar band it just adds so much girth.
  • timmysoft said:
    I go a bit further and drop the lowest string, in a single guitar band it just adds so much girth.
    Same here, my last band was all in drop C and I think I'm going to be heading back there, it just has so much more chunk
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    My first band when I was 16 (so 94) tuned to D standard with drop C. Sounded great in general and helped the singer. I tune up half a semi tone these days but will tune my strats in D standard once I own one again. 
  • snazzasnazza Frets: 38
    Red Fang, Elder, Baroness (again with drop C), Russian Circles, Kylesa (drop C)......basically anything 'sludgy' .....and i bloody love it!
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    Baroness, Death, Decapitated, Anata, Vader

Maybe not all quite Tele material...though I think Baroness guy plays a G&L ASAT
    timmysoft said:
    Same here, my last band was all in drop C and I think I'm going to be heading back there, it just has so much more chunk
    I also find that it means you lose those shitty 2k frequencies that make amps sound harsh, it’s a much smoother sounding tuning.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mötley Crüe!
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.

• Cursive use D standard with the occasional drop C.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • Thanks folks. I got stuck into Volbeat last night. 
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Robin Trower tunes his strats to D.
    Don't touch that dial.
    Theres my bands track on Spotify/ iTunes/amazon etc if you want try dropping that low string further. 

https://open.spotify.com/album/5HMTWEDDyIFo3pURGFaofc

• TTBZ said:
    Four Year Strong and Volbeat play in D standard. Good tuning, has that low growliness!
    Yeah I like it as a tuning as well, low enough to sound heavy but not too low that it turns to mud.
    And dropping the 6th string down to make it drop C is probably my favourite tunings! Chug central!! Haha.
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    My band (hardcore) were always D standard, all albums were recorded in D standard. I still tune this a lot, I like the frequency range it sits in. good bass, but not interfering with a bass guitar IMHO and still nice chewy mids. IMHO
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 161
    Tame Impala use it.