Were Dokken or Ratt ever big in the UK ?

What's Hot
MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
As the US forum guys all play "Lay it down" by Ratt or "In my dreams" by Dokken on their gear demos these 80s cheese fest tunes have been stuck in my head of late...i'd never heard anything by Ratt or Dokken before, did i miss them or were they never big over here ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    The only time I ever saw them was in the pages of Guitar world amongst the poodle haired pointy guitar freaks that inhabited it in the '80's. 

The pictures were enough to put me off. 
    :-O
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Thankfully, no.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• The best critique I ever saw of Ratt was Robert Smith of The Cure asking if it was "Ratt with a silent P?" Terrible terrible bands
    The artist formerly known as WeAre138 at MusicRadar
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
    Not really. I guess I would have been listening to Maiden ,Saxon, Judas Priest etc when Ratt were making it big in the States.
    By the time Hair Metal took off over here they were already passed it!
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    edited April 2014
    in case you've never heard this classic...i warn you it's addicitve! 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Ratt played Monsters of Rock IIRC, I think it was the one I went to. That was probably the height of their fame.

George Lynch (once of Dokken)is a perrenial US guitar mag favourite.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    and he's an awesome guitarist, is george.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    Hilarious! I wonder what they think about it today...
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    I will have no dissing of Dokken *shakes fist*
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Never big unless you bought RAW, Kerrang and import copies of Hit Parader......

I don't even think Tommy Vance could really be arsed to play them.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11494
    edited April 2014 tFB Trader
    I was a HUGE fan of Dokken and Ratt from their earliest days (about 1982)

They weren't unknown over here as they both got coverage in Kerrang at the time (as did other bands like Motley Crue, Black and Blue, great White,WASP, etc) and were played on Radio 1's Friday Night Rock Show - which was a big deal & essential listening back in the 1980s.

They didn't get to play obver here so much at first (v frustrating if you were a fan - as I was)
    Ratt did appear at the Monsters of Rock at Donnington in 1985 and did a tour supporting Ozzy in 1986.

Dokken didn't get here till 1986 when the toured as support to ACCEPT. Two years later they supported AC?DC at a larger arena tour.

Both were seriously under-rated and had a legion of fans - mainly through their ace guitarists George Lynch and Warren De Martini

Martini was guilty of copying Lynch's trademark playing style (and managed to have a hit sooner than george did as Ratt charted  before Dokken). Both bands suffered with singers who were often deemed as a bit weak, but were liked by others, but few could argue with the guitar playing chops.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11494
    tFB Trader
    For the uninitiated - check out Under Lock and Key  & Back for the Attack by Dokken

and Out of the Cellar by Ratt.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• keithfkeithf Frets: 371

George lynch had(has) the most amazing vibrato and a tendency to leave a solo hanging on the edge and making you think there should be at least one more note, a genius in my book.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    edited April 2014
    I was too young to catch them first time round (had I had older brothers/sisters I might have been just old enough to catch the tail end of hair metal, but I didn't and as a result didn't really get into rock music till my mid teens by which stage it was long gone :( ) but I love them now :))
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    edited April 2014
    they had a few years of being played lots at the heavy metal dives I used to frequent
  • I like both, plenty cheesey, great guitar and totally shameless.

Course, I listen to Steel Panther these days ;)
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Hanoi Rocks were the first glam/hair metal band that I encountered in the early 80s (gig at famous Essex dive The Pink Toothbrush) and iirc Ratt were heavily influenced by them.

Of the Rocks copyists generally I preferred Motley Crue and Poison.
  • JeztoneJeztone Frets: 27
    I was a fan, especially George Lynch
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    edited April 2014
    I thought this music sucked ass at the time.

I was a Jane's Addiction (closest I can think of in terms of rawk) , Dinosaur Jr, Pixies fan etc

Guess what?

It still sucks.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KerpunkKerpunk Frets: 75
    There was a guy on the music radar forums who mentioned RATT in every other post.