Mid/high gain amp with useable cleans.

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2267
Toying with adding another amp head in the next few weeks - I have some rock gigs this year so need a fairly heavyish tone but occasionally mid gain and  cleans.    Led Zep. ac/dc and Sykes era whitesnake range of sounds.     

I could just use the ax8 so it’s not an essential purchase but maybe a simple amp and a delay will do the job and be more fun... 

In the past I’ve had some cracking amps they could do the job easily - H&K Triamp, Triple Rectifier and an EVH but I’d like to try something’s different - not many 3 channel amps out there so I guess a two channel with some pedal assistance would work. 

What is everyone else using for rock these days?
(Or has everyone switched over to a helix/fractal and left the big old amps behind)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 963
    Orange or Matamp? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2267
    rico said:
    Orange or Matamp? 
    I’d always though they had a looser more open sound?       
    I was thinking maybe Bogner Shiva?      Maybe a different Mesa - not sure if the Lonestar has enough gain but maybe another model might be flexible enough.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1882
    Marshall DSL
    Orange Rockerverb

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 123
    Mesa Boogie Mk V
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3047
    Diesel Herbert.. hugely versatile
    play every note as if it were your first
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 34791
    Jet City.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    edited January 6
    Clarky said:
    I’ve never tried a Diesel - ugly looking things but I’ll check them out thanks.  

ICBM said:
    Jet City.

I had wondered about Soldano - I’m not sure about the decatone I had fancied as it gets a lot of flack online but it would be great on paper.     I didn’t think jetcity did cleans and dirty so we’ll but I’ll have a look - could be a cheap way forward.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 356
    edited January 5
    A Jetcity based around a Soldano HotRod does decent cleans, although no-one would mistake it for a fender.

But you did say decent.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 854
    These look very nice...

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 19961
    edited January 6
    Check out the Suhr PT.
    I am the juice of four limes.
    Trading Feedback

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 1521
    edited January 6
    Bogner or a Friedman or Suhr PT or Hedgehog, if your budget stretches to those.

Thomman are doing a deal and giving away the proprietary MIDI floorboard when you buy a H&K Grandmeister from them- plenty of gain there, decent cleans and in-built FX, compact, versatile and loud enough

www.cairoeast.co.uk - Madness Tribute band (Bass Player) and guitarist elsewhere
    Feedback - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57885/
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 3691
    Mesa Stiletto has great cleans - apparently very similar to the lonestar, but I've never tried the latter. And despite it being possible to make the gain very bright, when you set it right it's brilliant sounding.
    Captain Horizon (my old band);
    Very (!) Occasional Blog
  • Diezel VH4 and D-Moll both have really nice clean channels.

As does the Orange Rockerverb MKIII.
    My Channel: Wires Dream Disasters --- My Band: Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster --- My Studio: Orogenic Productions (website coming)
    Disclosure: I'm an audio engineer, product owner, and content developer working for FXpansion Audio UK Ltd.
    Thanks chaps - so long as it can get useable cleans without too much faff it’ll be fine, but finding that on some with nice high gain and boost is where I’m at.     I know I can get an evh to do it so I have a fall back but at the moment I’m leaning towards a Bogner Shiva/Ecstasy or a Decatone/Hot rod+ 
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 356
    edited January 6
    Not a decatone. Decatone has a shared EQ for 3 separate channels which seems to work less than the shared EQ across 2 channels as per soldano norm.

Some SLO's have the advantage of a scoop (SRV) mod which makes the 2 channel shared eq even more viable.

I've got a pleasant (to my ears) gritty clean out of my HR50+ in the past.

Seriously though, the Jet City's cop most of the HR's sound

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 19961
    John_P said:
    Thanks chaps - so long as it can get useable cleans without too much faff it’ll be fine, but finding that on some with nice high gain and boost is where I’m at.     I know I can get an evh to do it so I have a fall back but at the moment I’m leaning towards a Bogner Shiva/Ecstasy or a Decatone/Hot rod+ 
    How clean do you want it though?
    Do you want a Roland JC, spanky Fender tones, or on the edge Marshall clean?
    I am the juice of four limes.
    Trading Feedback

• A Blackstar series one would cover this easily. You can pick the heads up very cheap second hand.

I seen a 50 watt head just this week for £250 on one of the Facebook groups. 

I used to gig the 2x12 combo with a TC Nova System in the loop.
    It was a nice little compact Rig. I used the TC for all my delays and modulations and also to change the 3 channels on the amp via midi.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 977
    Mesa Stiletto..

Mine knocked my Shiva off the top spot.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 426
    I currently have it up for sale (I'm sort of rethinking it) but Marshall Astoria Dual. Great cleans. Classic rock level dirt. Handwired. 30w with power scaling. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 261
    Beyond the Soldano and Mesa content already listed:

Rivera Clubster Royale 
    Bad Cat Lynx (though I’ve been looking for one for ages)
    VHT Pitbull 
    Framus Dragon
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 507
    A Blackstar series one would cover this easily. You can pick the heads up very cheap second hand.

I seen a 50 watt head just this week for £250 on one of the Facebook groups. 

I used to gig the 2x12 combo with a TC Nova System in the loop.
    It was a nice little compact Rig. I used the TC for all my delays and modulations and also to change the 3 channels on the amp via midi.
    This was my first thought, I’ve got a 104 EL34 head, I know they divide opinion but the cleans are genuinely lovely, the crunch/super crunch modes are great, and the higher (OD1/OD2) gain voices are at worst very usable. Definitely worth a try, after all the worst that can happen is that you don’t like it and don’t buy it... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 4393
    VH4 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1225
    I still think the Boogie MkV25 is the best amp in the current MB lineup so I’m going to suggest that.

Having said that the Triple Crown would seem to more than fulfil the brief.
  • jaysmithjaysmith Frets: 18
    edited January 6
    Marshall JCM 800 2203 reissue..... Led Zep, AC/DC tones are there no problem. For cleans, just roll back your guitar volume. To get John Sykes Whitesnake type tones all you need is a Boss SD 1 in front of the amp. It's the best guitar rig I have had so far and is so simple.
    edited January 7
    John_P said:
    Clarky said:
    I’ve never tried a Diesel - ugly looking things but I’ll check them out thanks.  
    when people think Deizel they immediately think metal..
    there's so much more to them than that
    both the Herbert and VH4 are incredibly versatile
    I've played blues and funk through real ones at the Guitar Show in Brum [which always turns heads cos everyone expects drop-tune riffing from that stand]..
    in the Axe-FX, the Herbert is a goto amp and part of my live config too
    as a session player I've used the Herbert in the Axe-FX for rock, swamp blues, funk and rockabilly [as well as my usual proggy blood and snot]..

the Herbert and VH4 are slightly different animals, so I'd certainly suggest trying them both..
    and... unlike Boogies and some other amps, they are sooooo easy to dial in
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 416
    Clarky said:
    ^ this or a VH4 or if you can find one a Diesel Schmidt, class A, 3 channels (clean / mid to high gain / high gain) - great little amp but because as @Clarky says Diezel = metal they didnt really sell all that well. Totally overlooked :)

• Mk V? 3 channels  and easier to dial in than other Mesa amps, and maybe try it with EL 34s.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 157
    Friedman small box ?
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 1888
    If you get the “mod” done on Budda SuperDrives to sort out the clean channel/dirty channel mismatch they’re ideal for this 
    Clarky said:
    ^ this or a VH4 or if you can find one a Diesel Schmidt, class A, 3 channels (clean / mid to high gain / high gain) - great little amp but because as @Clarky says Diezel = metal they didnt really sell all that well. Totally overlooked :)

I'd never played a Schmitt..
    that said, I've never played a bad Deizel so I'd expect it to be excellent