Fryette 2 Powerstation 2 - Blowing HT fuse

grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1341
Hi all,

Playing with a new 100w toy tonight so thought I'd avoid the local lynch mob and use the Fryette - hasn't been used much, however I did have a mess with it a few months ago and after about an hour of use the unit stopped working. Did a little research and found that the internal HT fuse had blown. I changed it and all was good and haven't used it much since.

After about an hour the same thing has happened. I'm happy to change the fuse again but obviously something's up. Is it worth swapping the valves out?

Any advice would be welcome.

Si
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Can’t add anything directly but my experience of Fryette’s support was excellent.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72239
    Probably a faulty power valve. If it’s not, it’s nothing you can fix yourself.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Probably a faulty power valve. If it’s not, it’s nothing you can fix yourself.
    Thanks @ICBM ;

I’ll swap the power valves out and see if that resolves things..

Si
  • Im just joining to see the outcome
  • Looks like it's blowing the fuse as soon as it's powered up every time. Alternative power valves made no diff.

Thanks for the advice.

Si
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72239
    Looks like it's blowing the fuse as soon as it's powered up every time. Alternative power valves made no diff.
    There is a design fault with these, which is that there's a filter cap that's a 450V type which is subject to well over 500V when the amp is on standby, so there's a reasonable chance this has failed. It's a pig to change - it is possible to get a 500V-rated cap to fit the space on the PCB, but ideally it needs a stacked pair to give a rated voltage of at least 600V, and there isn't room for that.

The one I worked on also had an assembly fault - a poorly-insulated spare power transformer tap left in a position where it could potentially short against the chassis, which would definitely blow the fuse.

I was not impressed. At all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I’ve PM’d you @ICBM ;

If you’d be interested in taking a look let me know :)

Si