Now NAD: EVH 5150 iii users talk to me :)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 10215
    £550?

Ye gods that's a bargain!

"Guitars are just basses for kids"

Gregor Fris

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • £550?

Ye gods that's a bargain!
    Yes £550. Crazy price 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Blue channel is great and probably enough gain there for me anyway. Red channel is a chugging all the way 

Very happy :) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 426
    edited January 13
    Great amps IMHO I gig my 100 all the time. Very versatile amp I use it for classic rock and it has plenty of balls! They come alive at gig volume! The 50 is pretty good too but has more gain. My 50 has been modded by Dan Gower to negate the volume drop between green and blue it’s plenty loud enough for gigs. Highly underrated amps.  Loops are very good too. Not tried the Mickey Mouse 15W version- I don’t do little amps!
  • Great amps IMHO I gig my 100 all the time. Very versatile amp I use it for classic rock and it has plenty of balls! They come alive at gig volume! The 50 is pretty good too but has more gain. My 50 has been modded by Dan Gower to negate the volume drop between green and blue it’s plenty loud enough for gigs. Highly underrated amps.  Loops are very good too. Not tried the Mickey Mouse 15W version- I don’t do little amps!
    There’s a resistor mod you can do to the 100w that gives you the equivalent of the 50w model gain on the blue channel so I’ll be doing that this week some time 
  • Also have the new Amptweaker depthfinder in the loop. The added resonance control makes a huge difference 
    Great amps IMHO I gig my 100 all the time. Very versatile amp I use it for classic rock and it has plenty of balls! They come alive at gig volume! The 50 is pretty good too but has more gain. My 50 has been modded by Dan Gower to negate the volume drop between green and blue it’s plenty loud enough for gigs. Highly underrated amps.  Loops are very good too. Not tried the Mickey Mouse 15W version- I don’t do little amps!
    There’s a resistor mod you can do to the 100w that gives you the equivalent of the 50w model gain on the blue channel so I’ll be doing that this week some time 
    I like the fact that they are different- the 50 having more gain and the 100 having less. I actually prefer less!
  • Great amps IMHO I gig my 100 all the time. Very versatile amp I use it for classic rock and it has plenty of balls! They come alive at gig volume! The 50 is pretty good too but has more gain. My 50 has been modded by Dan Gower to negate the volume drop between green and blue it’s plenty loud enough for gigs. Highly underrated amps.  Loops are very good too. Not tried the Mickey Mouse 15W version- I don’t do little amps!
    I like the fact that they are different- the 50 having more gain and the 100 having less. I actually prefer less!
    My Favourite channel is the blue for heavy rhythm passages but i would like the option of more gain like the 50w. I was actually looking to buy a 50w however the 100w came up used for £550 so was too good to turn down at that price
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 125
    That's interesting about the gain, I tried out a 50w 5150 and I liked the features and size,  but it had too much gain for me, which meant I couldn't really get the sounds I wanted out of it as I just couldn't dial it in,
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 10215
    That's interesting about the gain, I tried out a 50w 5150 and I liked the features and size,  but it had too much gain for me, which meant I couldn't really get the sounds I wanted out of it as I just couldn't dial it in,
    I had a 50w, and loved it - but I do like quite low powered 'buckers.

I can well imagine something with a high output being a bit over the top.

"Guitars are just basses for kids"

Gregor Fris

I wish the red channel was as ‘open sounding’ as the blue channel!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 4227
    That’s the second bargain I’ve picked up in just over a week. The first being my Gibson Les Paul custom shop axcess at 1K

They good luck comes in threes so I’m wondering if a third bargain awaits 
    If you now get offered a Helix for a fiver I’ll be really annoyed. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 4227
    Interesting re: the mod. 

How does it behave at gig volumes? 
    I found my volume jump issue just disappeared after about 2.5 on the master. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 2922
    edited January 17
    New knobs on the front. Far easier to find the gain and volume now for the individual channels 

Have also carried out the resistor mod for the blue channel so it now has the same amount of gain as the 50 watt version and sounds fuller 

Interesting re: the mod. 

How does it behave at gig volumes? 
    I found my volume jump issue just disappeared after about 2.5 on the master. 

It has a gain and volume pot on the green channel same as the latest models (had it done way before the new ones came out!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter