Drums with 1 mic - dynamic or condenser?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 491
    I still maintain that you'll make the biggest difference by not attempting to do vocals over a PA in the same room, but of course playing the songs without vocals might feel weird.

One thing -- don't fall into the trap of thinking that you'll achieve better results by moving the amps as far away from the kit as possible -- in most cases the opposite is true.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 801
    edited January 7
    When I say stoner rock I'm not really talking the super thick sludgy wall of sound, more just riffy stuff like Clutch, Down, CoC, Sabbath etc. I don't want it to be a muddy sludge fest.

Thanks for all the advice in this thread, hopefully I'll be able to put it into practice this week.

Edit - like an idiot I completely forgot I could use my laptop and 2 channel interface to let me record every channel live. As you say sync in post is easy and I'll now have enough channels to play around with and use dedicated spot mics for the drums :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 30
    feel free to let some of us have a go at a mix too--good luck
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Will do - I've done the odd bit of home recording and mixing but never with consistent results for one reason or another.
  • Tempo map the songs at home. Record a guide bass/guitar track(s) to metronome. Take your laptop to the studio and have your drummer record in insolation to the guide track/metronome. record guitars and vocals separately after, either in the studio or via plug ins at home.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 4557
    What I'd do is use any mic but configure it for minimal bleed from other sources, use gobos or whatever where possible, then use it as a reference to program the drums.
    edited January 17
    Well if anyone is curious the recording sesh was a bit of a shambles. No bass player for this practice and a very rushed setup due to running late. My SM57 is either fucked or fake as my guitar track was un-usable, just thin and awful. Should have checked beforehand but I just wanted to play by that point. I've re recorded it with Spark and done a fake bass track and it sounds ok considering... I'll link it tomorrow when we get the Facebook page up and running!

Will have another attempt in a few rehearsals time. As we have 2 guitars and bass I'll do my bits at home to save an input for the snare. Need to figure out a better overhead position for the zoom i think. And definitely without vocals. I underestimated how much spill would come through his mic.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 144
    Use the live track as a guide and re-record the vocals at home.