First Jobs

What's Hot

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Worked for a summer at the local council’s finance department, doing the crap jobs everybody else didn’t want to do. Worked in a pub during university holidays.

Can’t complain about my first proper job - research in the same physics department as Professor Peter Higgs!
    Boso !

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6143
    17yo dogsbody at a professional photography D&P shop; mostly fumbling around in the dark. Developing and printing for weddings and advertising, for the most part. Dull.

But it was the '70s, and every photographer had a 'glamour' sideline, which spiced things up - once I'd worked out where the manageress hid the proofs. Made up for the lousy pay and chemical hazards.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7751
    edited January 2019
    hywelg said:
    Corona pop wagon, Saturday lad. Less than a pound a day. Worked up to wagon driver for £2.50 a day whilst at Uni. 

Context. Beer 11p a pint. 

I helped our local Corona bloke for a while - pluses were free pop (and the occasional beer) and crisps now and again, minuses were you had to keep your distance from his wandering hands . . . #metoo

The next job (at a petrol station) I had a gun pointed at me, so the Corona job wasn't as bad as you might think.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    edited January 2019
    sev112 said:
    During my A levels I did Saturday afternoons cleaning the butchers shop, fridge and back of shop for £1.75 / hour.
    it was not worth it, you could never get them smell out no matter how long you spent in the bath before you went out in the evening 
    You’re lucky I did the same job in the late nineties for £1.50/hr. That was casual though.

Scrubbing the block with the wire brush?

My first proper contract was with...

Morrison’s Butchers. My job title was ‘Student Meat Packer’.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    I did my time! 3 years of it! In WHSmiths! /garyoldmanaswosshisfaceinharrypotter
  • Did strawberry and raspberry pickings for a day.  You get paid for amount you pick.  Which as a kid won’t cant do it fast, not worth while, it would’ve been way below minimal wage had i paid by the hours.

Through an agency:-

did 1 day in a factory putting nuts on bolts.

did 1 day checking new plastic container off the moulding machine ready for butter.

first proper job with contract was after my degree as an junior architect.
    I take it you had 2/3 of your brain cells removed first? Seems to be a prerequisite for contemporary architecture ;) 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    edited January 2019
    Did strawberry and raspberry pickings for a day.  You get paid for amount you pick.  Which as a kid won’t cant do it fast, not worth while, it would’ve been way below minimal wage had i paid by the hours.

Through an agency:-

did 1 day in a factory putting nuts on bolts.

did 1 day checking new plastic container off the moulding machine ready for butter.

first proper job with contract was after my degree as an junior architect.
    I take it you had 2/3 of your brain cells removed first? Seems to be a prerequisite for contemporary architecture  
    Haha, I actually liked the practice of it but the degree I didn’t like the theory behind some of the designs the lecturers were looking for.  Or should I say, some of the flowery language that they expect you to use.  I should’ve done a Bsc in architecture from somewhere like Bath instead of BA.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Morning paperound aside my first Saturday job was breaking up wooden crates for a glazing shop, me and a mate armed with a hammer and crowbar each.......£8 for the day
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Superdrug, working in the stock room two nights a week, which led to weekend work. £2.85 an hour
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8686
    edited January 2019
    Rocket scientist. 

That’s the honest truth. I did it for six months before I went to university. It was real research, with a couple of significant discoveries. I still suffer from the time I gassed myself with ozone.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    Lettuce Farm Labourer in the 6 week school holidays, back breaking but £45 a week in 1985 for a 13yo wasnt too shabby I tell yer.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3435
    Drug dealer, selling soft drugs to yuppie students, then started to import cocaine, before long I had a small protection racket in 4 major cities  around the country, 7 fishing boats importing 15 tons a week across the channel, a transport network from North Africa to the French coast with 6 trucks, a freight train and two Ex WW2 German fast attack E boats coming across the Alboran Sea from Tanger four times a day making coastal drops somewhere south of Granada, I did have three but one is impounded.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sperm donor.  1983.   15 quid a shot 3 times a week.  I was a consumate professional.   
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    A summer job in a factory filling foam moulds then removing them after they'd set, for 10 hours a day. Whilst being forced to listen to Radio 1 all day. Everything about that job was awful. I lasted 2 days then went and got a job stacking shelves at Tesco which was much better.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    Sperm donor.  1983.   15 quid a shot 3 times a week.  I was a consumate professional.   
    Morning dad...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Loads of jobs whilst at uni. Working in a warehouse of a timber merchant, working at a DIY store, butcher assistant, the worst was working at a fruit and veg packing plant. I have never smelt anything worst than a railway truck full of rotting water melon that we had to clear out. But they were paying very good money (5 Deutch Marks an hour in 1988), cash in hand.
  • First part time job was a shelf stacker at Safeway. I hated it.

Got a better job driving a forklift a few years later

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Frozen food distributor working as an order picker. Started at 16 as an evening job while at school. Generally did 3 or 4 nights a week, 6pm til midnight in -20°C warehouse. 

Didn't quit fully until I'd finished uni and moved to Lancaster. Money was okay, boss was a dick - overall not too bad.

Did make me realise that I never wanted to work nights full time though. The days where I was scheduled to go in I'd just spend the day being annoyed about the fact I had to go into work.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4256
    edited January 2019
    Sperm donor.  1983.   15 quid a shot 3 times a week.  I was a consumate professional.   
    There's usually at least one wanker posting on any thread round here, but not often we have one with actual professional credentials.

My first job was working on a fish stall in a market on a weekend. Brutal in every way, gutting fish, skinning/gutting rabbits, terrible terrible work. The smell of a rabbit when you remove it's innards is not easily forgotten. Used to earn enough to buy a 1/4 oz of weed that would last the week. Not like I was going out anywhere smelling like I probably did, so was better off staying indoors getting smashed.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • First summer I worked I had 3 jobs, worked at Electornic Boutique on sat, 3 evening doing data entry for hsbc in the week and 4 early mornign shifts at the granary motorway services..this was when i was 17
    Grabbing bastard ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom