New Strymon...

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    crunchman said:
    the amount of people wetting their pants in anticipation of being allowed to buy another £500 digital delay pedal makes me wonder about us lot...
    ...I just want to find out so I know which Chinese knock off to look out for in 6 months. 

This will be harder to knock off than the average overdrive circuit.  Writing the code for it is a different order of complexity than an overdrive.  I've built myself pedal "inspired by" a well known green overdrive - as have thousands of others.  I wouldn't know where to start on one of these.

With enough time and effort, I could probably buy a Raspberry Pi, and figure out how to write the code for a very basic delay, but I could probably make 20 different overdrive knockoffs for the same amount of effort.

Vaguely recall that keylee’s DSP guy just taught himself when Robert decided to go digital..,

i imagine the nice thing is once you have the pedal architecture in place, all you need to do is develop new code... neunaber did that so well for the slate.

Be a lot of work though.  If you look at a Timeline, there are 9 knobs on it, some of them multifunction ones that you can press as well as turn, plus 3 footswitches.  A lot of them have different functions depending on the mode you are using.  There are 12 different delay types plus a looper.  Even without worrying about the quality of the sound, that's a significant amount of stuff to program.  By the time you add MIDI implementation to it all as well, it's a lot of code.  Some of it won't be conceptually difficult, and it's the actual delay algorithms that will be the important part but it's still a lot of work.

You are right that once you've programmed it once, you can reuse a lot of it.  Once they have done it for the Timeline, they could reuse a lot of it for the Mobius and Big Sky.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Gassage said:
    Although someone 'in the know' suggested it's a rack multi fx?
    They could be launching a range of products but leaks on the net seem to indicate its an Echorec ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 237
    Got to hand it to their marketing people, they have people talking about it!
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
  • PFAllen2 said:
    Tbf I don’t think that Strymon invented the ridiculously drawn out teaser campaign. It seems to be the done thing these days. 
    How very rock and roll
    PFAllen2 said:
    Tbf I don’t think that Strymon invented the ridiculously drawn out teaser campaign. It seems to be the done thing these days. 
    A dangerous game as it can lead to disappointment.

• Are you guys real or what??

It was the 2nd of January when they started their campaign:
    https://www.facebook.com/strymon/posts/10157281591451416

And they're revealing all 8 days later on the 10th. It's not a ridiculously drawn out teaser campaign. It's just over a weeks worth of instagram pictures and blurry photos on forums. It's just marketing.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • When's 1pm PT then?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8789
    When's 1pm PT then?
    9pm GMT

I googled earlier this afternoon :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • :-)

• Are you guys real or what??

It was the 2nd of January when they started their campaign:
    https://www.facebook.com/strymon/posts/10157281591451416

And they're revealing all 8 days later on the 10th. It's not a ridiculously drawn out teaser campaign. It's just over a weeks worth of instagram pictures and blurry photos on forums. It's just marketing.
    Each to go their own Drew, I just prefer for a product to be released with specs and details readily available. I get too easily sucked into these marketing campaigns and hate myself for it! 

But hey ho I appreciate I’m behind the times with these things. 
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019
    Here you go ..

Not for me .. the live demo on FB is awful .. the guy has no charisma and spends too much time talking and making funny noises. The makers of Doctor Who will love it ...

This sounds better:

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
    edited January 2019
    I don’t really know much about echo machines, so this maybe simple to answer, but how’s that different from the El Capistan?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • The key for me would have been..."for the tape algorithm we just reused the El Cap algorithm". MIDI El Cap, boom...unfortunately, he didn't say that.

It seems to have elements of the Echorec and Roland Space Echo ... I'll stick with my El Cap.

• Yeah I'm not bothered either, tbh. Strymon stuff always excites me. This is cool, but not for me...thank god!

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Fretwired said:
    It seems to have elements of the Echorec and Roland Space Echo ... I'll stick with my El Cap.
    Ditto.      If I didn’t have some cool delays then it does look nice enough but I was hoping they were going for something more different to the current line up and i suspect most people they already have an el cap won’t feel the need to upgrade.  
  • I'm getting one.

Bye!

• cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    The key for me would have been..."for the tape algorithm we just reused the El Cap algorithm". MIDI El Cap, boom...unfortunately, he didn't say that.
    Yeah completely agree! An El Cap V3 with Midi would have been killer!