Week 2: Chorus. HX Effects

What's Hot
professorbenprofessorben Frets: 4235
So last night was another rehearsal where I’m trying out how to incorporate fx to help bolster my sound without sounding like I’m using Effects. 

Last week I found the joys of short delays to thicken the tone, and from a few suggestions I reduced the single slap back from 200ms to around 70-90ms and pulled it a little further back in the mix to 10%. 

This week I played around with chorus, now my default approach is to put chorus into the front of the amp before the distortion which sounded ok but not the effect I was after. 

Instead I put the chorus in the loop, just before the delays, I tried a few different types, but in the end settled on the 70’s Chorus ( Boss CE-1 model) which sounded fat and chewy instead of shimmery and sparkley. 

I found that a slow slow rate and fairly low mix again around 10% just fattening up the tone, in fact I hardly noticed the ‘chorus’ until I played any ringing high strings, but for standard chords and riffs it just sounds huge. 

it felt like there was a little bit more bite on the lower strings too. 

I tried to add a 2 delay parallel thing for solos but ended up stuffing up the dekay times, I was going for a 1/4 note and dotted 8th note delay running parallel both on one foot switch, but I’m going to have to go back to the manual to figure out how to do this. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 4771
    What you need is a double-tracker like a TC mimiq -it will do exactly the thickening and even triple track guitar
    ......Brian Wampler ,of all people, does a great video on yt about them
    it's a very cheap pedal so you have nothing to lose
    you can get both the delay and the minuscule chorus effect automatically from it
    thickens sound hugely -really does sound like 2 guitars playing together
    an absolute MUST in a 3 piece
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 1990
    There is a double tracker in there. It's called Double Take. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

Twitter  |  Instagram  |  YouTube  |  Facebook  |  Website

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 4235
    Dominic said:
    What you need is a double-tracker like a TC mimiq -it will do exactly the thickening and even triple track guitar
    ......Brian Wampler ,of all people, does a great video on yt about them
    it's a very cheap pedal so you have nothing to lose
    you can get both the delay and the minuscule chorus effect automatically from it
    thickens sound hugely -really does sound like 2 guitars playing together
    an absolute MUST in a 3 piece
    And @rossyamaha ;

I’ve been thinking about this, and I’ve come up with this cunning plan. 

Using the HX Effects in the loop only, splitting the signal path and adding an IR block, then the Double take and a nice stereo delay. 
    Then taking the ‘dry’ A signal back to my amp and the IR loaded ‘wet’ stereo output to the PA, then mic up my cab (or just turn it up) and run as a W/D\W setup. 

Thoughts? 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 1990
    That should work nicely. I've done a similar thing on full Helix. These are really wonderful devices. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

Twitter  |  Instagram  |  YouTube  |  Facebook  |  Website

• A lot of guys used to use the TC SCF like this. Just on and no more, sometimes in stereo, just to give the sound that little 'something'.

Ps. my favourite chorus for doing most things on the Helix still seems to be the Legacy Dimension C or whatever its called one. Its very shimmery, 80's new wave kinda sounding. Does a good Brass in Pocket... its my benchmark for chorus lol