F-Holes

What's Hot
seany65seany65 Frets: 264
I've had 3 semis and on all three I've been able to hear a difference when I pluck the open D string and move my hand up and down over the Bass-side F-Hole. This can happen with D notes on other strings that are close to the open D. But I can't hear any difference in any note when I move my hand up and down over the treble-side F-Hole.

So does the Treble-side F-Hole have any effect on the sound?

Does the length and width of an F-Hole have an effect on the sound?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

One of my Gretsches used to feedback like mad, amp up full. I made some "pillows" out of pillow/duvet stuffing in black plastic bags and poked 'em in. Soft fluffy stuff, easy to get in/out (foam was too much of a fight, felt like the binding would get damaged, so gave that up).

Result was zero difference plugged in. Maybe my cat could tell the difference, but I couldn't :)  The strangest thing to me was that even acoustically there was very little change... I thought it would be kind of dead? but it really wasn't.
    Also you see those top-dog carved archtops with all sorts of holes, F and multiple leaf-shapes and in different places, so with all that I'm thinking the guitar top is most important and the bracing and the amount of gear hanging on them - pups, Bigsbys whatnot? The jazzboxes strive to minimise all that stuff and have all sorts of arty f-holes.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
    Ironically, my Chibson has a very noticeable difference if either soundhole is covered... must be the diamonds :D
  • seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    Thanks for the replies and the suggestions.

But, just like my sex life, I'm not stuffing any things up any holes.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited April 2014
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>