Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What do you use for fingerstyle?

What's Hot
Just wondering which acoustic do you use for playing fingerstyle? Do you prefer short scale or long scale? What tone woods do you prefer? Do you have any suggestions for a prospective buyer? I like the look of the 12 fret Taylors but their prices have increased significantly since I was last looking for a new acoustic a few years ago.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• elkayelkay Frets: 77
    Scale length and neck width do not seem to matter as much to me as neck profile (can't do a thing with chunky necks). Having said that, I do seem to incline more towards a shorter scale. Until recently, I had a Taylor 812ce 12 fret, which had loads of overtones, making chords sound lush and wonderful, but  which I felt tended to swamp individual notes. I also have a Martin 000-18, which I find gives much better note definition, while still retaining a lovely bit of sparkle, probably down to the mahogany. Every time I picked up the Taylor, after a short while I felt a need to switch to the Martin. On paper, the Taylor had all the phyical attributes I like, but in practice, I just could not seem to be able to do much with it. On the other hand, for some reason I have just not been able to pin down, I can do things on the 000-18 that I can only dream of with the Taylor. Just to complicate things further, lately I have been really enjoying playing my Gibson J-45. I think what it really boils down to is that it's very much a case of each to his own. I can't even give the normal advise of trying as many guitars as you can, since, over time, I have done the same thing, and ended up with different 'best/favourite guitar' at different times.

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I have 0 00 000 and dreds. I would say for a light touch go smaller in size. By the time you get to dreadnaughts you really have to work hard to get the top working. 000 would be the compromise, more bass than smaller. I guess that’s why Martins 000 is such a great picker. 

For or me my old Yamaha FG with muted bass is hard to beat but the skinny neck width is annoying. 

As as things improve you can learn to get enough bass from a small guitar. 

Im not fussed on scale. The tighter the strings the tougher your hands get. But I do like tuning down so the short Gibson scale length gets too bendy on light strings. 

I have some pre war Stellas 25” ish scale 48mm nut and flat finger boards. Bloody great pickers.

also there’s a recording king copy of the nick Lucas Gibson. 1 3/4 nut with a very deep maple  body. Very ‘snappy’ and slightly over built but I like it a lot. Fr

best thing is too by 10 or 15 different guitars for comparison... 

Wow on what a waffle 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31586
    My J-35 has volume, definition and projection to spare for fingerpicking, but string choice was at least as important as the guitar for me. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26977
    Martin HD28. Mostly because it's my only acoustic, but also because it's the perfect all-rounder. Maybe a 000 or OM would be slightly better for fingerpicking specifically, but I like them less for everything else.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • My favourite fingerpicking guitars are Martin OMs, which I also really like for lead playing. Having said that, I got a Gibson Advanced Jumbo a couple of years ago that is a great fingerpicker as well as being an outstanding flat picker. The J45 shape makes for a very versatile guitar.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I favour a 000.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    OM or OOO
  • I don't think the size is that important. I probably look at bracing and nut width as the 2 most important factors. A lightly braced top will generally be better for fingerpicking and usually people prefer a slightly wider nut width to improve string separation, but obviously this is down to personal choice. The best sounding guitar I've got is spruce & mahogany, but I would try any permutation when looking for a new one as it mostly depends on the maker.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    edited January 2019
    OM or 000, strung with 12s as a minimum. I find higher string tension better all round for fingerstyle. Sounds bigger too.

I don't think specific woods lend themselves to fingerstyle, it depends what sort of tone you want and what you sound like as a player.
  • In the main, I like to play my Brook Taw for solo and/or fingerstyle playing. It's the nicest acoustic I have for a light touch and response. I love playing it. Spruce top, Bubinga back and sides. Trying a set of Phosphor/Bronze 11s on it, as an alternative to 12s. Slightly easier under the fingers, not decided if the tone is better or worse. 

I also use a Martin 0-16NY with Silk'n'steel strings when I'm looking for that classical feeling (as I don't own a nylon string guitar). Very balanced sound but a bit dull-sounding in comparison to the Brook. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Are we talking about home playing or performance? Are you more concerned about sound quality or ease of use?

Nowadays I don't do much acoustic playing, being too occupied with electric, so my experience of current models is limited. Like others I favoured a spruce mahogany OOO for sound, and still use a guitar of this size and shape at home. However, if I were bashing my way around folk clubs then I'd limit myself to something like a Taylor 414, or even 412.

When I bought my 414, and it must have been over 15 years ago, I was expecting to find a Martin. I played a lot of new and used guitars, even got shop staff to play them to me so that I could hear it from the audience perspective. Each time the Martin seemed too refined, whereas the Taylor rang out the upper mids that I wanted to hear. Personal preference at the time, and I guess that designs and wood choices have moved on since then.

One thing that I did want was a cut-away, or at least a neck joint at the 14th. I know that it affects the sound, but I did want access to notes up above the 12th fret.

Strings have a big impact. For my playing I find phosphor bronze have too much of a rasping edge.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I am also a Martin guy, but I use the GPC35. A cutaway, onboard electronics, and a bit louder than a 000. I recommend it.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited January 2019
    My go-to acoustic is the Epiphone Masterbilt archtop, about which I have raved before. Excellent instrument

EDIT: http://www.epiphone.com/products/acoustic-electric/masterbilt-zenith.aspx

It's louder if you whack it with a decent plectrum but still has a pleasing tone when you fingerpick it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I use fingers for fingerstyle playing

Disclaimer...I can't play fingerstyle
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72315
    I use a Gibson Dove. I prefer maple, both body and neck (not fingerboard!). Scale length doesn't matter, and body size much less than I thought it did... the Dove is a dreadnought. The best-sounding guitar I've ever owned for any playing style.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    p90fool said:
    My J-35 has volume, definition and projection to spare for fingerpicking, but string choice was at least as important as the guitar for me. 
    What strings did you settle on? I want to replace the stock strings on my new J35, not too keen on my usual Elixirs, would like to avoid the occasional crispy tone they give. But I do like a string that lasts more than a week. 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Have you ever tried DR sunbeams?  Worth a try I really like them

heres a pretty good description of them

https://www.maurysmusic.com/dr_sunbeam_strings___todd_s_review
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26977
    ICBM said:
    I use a Gibson Dove. I prefer maple, both body and neck (not fingerboard!). Scale length doesn't matter, and body size much less than I thought it did... the Dove is a dreadnought. The best-sounding guitar I've ever owned for any playing style.
    Can confirm. My Dove was also amazing for fingerstyle.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Andy79 said:
    Have you ever tried DR sunbeams?  Worth a try I really like them

heres a pretty good description of them

https://www.maurysmusic.com/dr_sunbeam_strings___todd_s_review
    Will give them a go. Elixirs are good for durability and don’t affect plugged-in tone, but I want something a bit more special for pure acoustic playing. Thanks. 
  • Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Does anyone know of an alternative to the Godin Steel Duet Ambience? I'd be all over it if it wasn't for the 1.72" nut width, I prefer at least 1.75" for fingerstyle.