Boost for solo

What's Hot
BarneyBarney Frets: 615
What's everybody using for a boost in a band situation ...I need a volume boost plus a bit more body and gain for the solos while still keeping the top end ....I'm using strat and hot Rod deluxe 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Joyo 6 band EQ in the loop, shapes your solo tone and volume as desired.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    L channel of my Xotic AC+ set to clean boost, and I have a (modded to reduce hiss) Boss GE-7 after that.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited January 2019
    Caline Pure Sky for clean boost and Caline Orange Burst for a more driven boost. (Because I'm cheap  )
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    Tubescreamer for a more-gain solo, or Ryra Klone on the clean boost setting. 
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Suhr Koko Boost
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    EHX East River Drive for adding some dirt in front of the amp; Boss GE-7 set with a mid hump and dB boost for some volume in the FX loop.
  • vizviz Frets: 10689
    edited January 2019
    Keeley mini katana boost, last thing in the loop.

In fact I’ve got two - my penultimate pedal in the loop is a boost for solos, and my final one is another boost, but set to zero so when I stamp on it everything cuts out, no hiss, no hum, nothing. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    TC spark mini, last in the loop, for overall volume boost.  In the front if you want the gain to go nuts too :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72295
    Barney said:

I'm using strat and hot Rod deluxe
    The Drive channel.

Assuming you aren’t already using it, of course... but that’s a reasonable guess given that most people don’t :).

Don’t use More Drive, keep the drive fairly low and the master higher and it will do exactly that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7840
    Beano boost. 
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I set my guitar volume to 8ish for chords / Riffs / general playing, and roll it up to 10 for lead or when you want a bit more. The effect will be to give more volume, but also more drive.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4772
    edited January 2019
    Or...  ask the others to back off a bit so you stand out more. A crescendo in the music as a band is one thing, but everyone has responsibility for helping one of the instruments stand out. Does the band want to be louder or just you?
    edit: Sorry, not casting aspersions. What I meant is do you need to stand out more but the band sound stays constant or does the whole band want to be louder at that point?
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Xotic RC booster.  Plenty of volume lift but keeps the sound very true.  A small amount of gain if maxed and useful bass and treble options.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    Thanks everybody for the reccomendations everybody ...these boost pedals can they go in the loop or do they need to go in front 
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    ICBM said:
    Barney said:

I'm using strat and hot Rod deluxe
    The Drive channel.

Assuming you aren’t already using it, of course... but that’s a reasonable guess given that most people don’t :).

Don’t use More Drive, keep the drive fairly low and the master higher and it will do exactly that.
    It's mainly drive channel I use ...it's a omega modded hot Rod deluxe ...so its for that really ...I like the sound so just really want that with a bit more gain and bigger sound ...I'm using strat bridge pickup ..which is very  twang but starting to really like it for chords 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    Barney said:
    Thanks everybody for the reccomendations everybody ...these boost pedals can they go in the loop or do they need to go in front 
    Depends what effect you want it to have.

In the loop (and at the end of the loop chain) it will take what you've got and just make it LOUDER (maybe a bit fatter too etc. but not change the gain/drive unless you're already overdriving the power amp and bleeding out your ears).

In the front it will up the volume and the dirt, as it drives the pre-amp harder.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6989
    Barney said:
    I have it in my head that using certain overdrive pedals in the loop can damage the amp; I’m sure @ICBM could give you chapter and verse.  There’s no issue with putting an EQ pedal in the loop though.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    viz said:
    Keeley mini katana boost, last thing in the loop.

In fact I’ve got two - my penultimate pedal in the loop is a boost for solos, and my final one is another boost, but set to zero so when I stamp on it everything cuts out, no hiss, no hum, nothing. 
    Does your tuner not do that for you?

TC Spark for me.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Bought a TC Spark on offer for £35 last year. Should cover all your bases.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    edited January 2019

MXR Microamp is good.  I know it is a one knob pedal, but it seems to add a bit of beef to the sound, not just make it louder.  Don't know if that is Fletcher-Munson effect, or whether it does lift certain frequencies.  Just beware the old half-assed bypass versions.  I assume the bypass is fixed on the new ones?

My wife bought me a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe for Christmas.  I need to play with it more, but it is a seriously good pedal, and would do the job the OP wants.  I'm working out how to reconfigure my pedal board to put it on.  Not sure whether to take off the Microamp clone, or the TS type.