Some Jazzmaster modding/refinishing queries?

What's Hot
Hi all. I have a few queries on modding/refinishing a Jazzmaster. I wouldn't be doing the work myself, but want to do the research before I start collecting parts etc.

I love love Jazzmasters with a natural finish. For example, a dark walnut body, or dark natural finish.

Is it possible to refinish a stock Jazzmaster body to a natural look? (Would it be worth it that is)

I'd like to get a tortoise Warmoth pickguard without the top buttons and roller controls, and only use the circuit below the pickups.

While wide range humbuckers look really cool in a Jazzmaster, I'd probably just get JM sized replacements.

Mostly interested in opinions on refinishing the body on a stock.

I don't have a JM currently, so wondering if it might be better to go to someone like Guitar Build and get a Walnut body there and get the parts separately....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited January 2019
    Depends on how many bits of wood the body is made of, it's normally alder or ash and will likely be 2 or 3 pieces - possibly more. Single piece bodies are rare. Chances are after stripping you will discover pretty unappealing grain pattern as it would not have been a consideration on a painted body. That said, Costello famously bought a Jazzmaster that has been finished in a similar way - with creosote by the looks of it!

I'd be tempted to do as you suggest - buy a body based on the quality of the visible wood.

Mojo JM sized WRHB are excellent - I'd recommend slightly overwound bridge as that seems to give the best balance to my ears.

I recently built a JM similar to your intended specifications, albeit with a painted body - the one on the left. I actually like the rhythm circuit but the pick guard I was using was configured how you describe - it works well and  the red one covers the other bases.

• Gagaryn said:
    Depends on how many bits of wood the body is made of, it's normally alder or ash and will likely be 2 or 3 pieces - possibly more. Single piece bodies are rare. Chances are after stripping you will discover pretty unappealing grain pattern as it would not have been a consideration on a painted body. That said, Costello famously bought a Jazzmaster that has been finished in a similar way - with creosote by the looks of it!

I'd be tempted to do as you suggest - buy a body based on the quality of the visible wood.

Mojo JM sized WRHB are excellent - I'd recommend slightly overwound bridge as that seems to give the best balance to my ears.

I recently built a JM similar to your intended specifications, albeit with a painted body - the one on the left. I actually like the rhythm circuit but the pick guard I was using was configured how you describe - it works well and  the red one covers the other bases.

Ooo, very nice. That red finish is gorgeous. I'm almost abandoning my natural finish theory now!
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 650
    Have you checked out the Elvis Costello sig Jazzmaster? Has a natural finish so would save the agro plus you never know what's lurking under a paint finished guitar.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
    +1 on the parts build. We have some great builders & finishers on the forum, or there's always MJT, but that gets more expensive in the UK with import costs. 

If you know what you want it should get you a much better instrument than a modded Fender for the same money, and especially since you want a nice looking bit of wood as a starting point.. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1384
    edited January 2019
    My CIJ Jazzmaster had a 7.25 neck profile (or is it 7.5) , I can’t recall.
    Would I have to be careful with neck sizes? I like the thinner profile...
    Either way it would be nice to get a neck already played in a bit...
    Would strat necks fit warmoth bodies?
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 850
    Gagaryn said:

Don't mean to hijack the thread,but Gary, can you send me some pics of that black one I painted for you, Want to add them to my Facebook page mate, I'm saying black pretty sure it was like a see thru burgundy now!!! Rich
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    lamf68 said:
    Gagaryn said:

Don't mean to hijack the thread,but Gary, can you send me some pics of that black one I painted for you, Want to add them to my Facebook page mate, I'm saying black pretty sure it was like a see thru burgundy now!!! Rich
    Yeah, will do when I get some decent light. 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1384
    edited January 2019
    I'm going to get started soon on getting the bits and bobs. Can anyone recommend which toggle switch would be best for a Jazzmaster?
    Will most likely go for an alder body, and get it finished with the natural look. (Maybe Walnut might meet these needs...?)
    I'll go for a tortoise pickguard.
    I'll go for black pickups, black toggle switch, and black witch hat volume and control knobs.
    I'm not going to go for a rhythm circuit, just the bottom circuit.
    I'll decide near the end on what radius it'll be. 7.25 or 9.5. 
    I'll keep an eye out for used staytrems, vibratos, etc over the next 6 months or so... I need to sell some things first!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Decide on the fingerboard radius before ordering a bridge.

Right-angled Switchcraft sprung toggle selector switch. Switchcraft six terminal Rhythm Circuit slider switch.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Decide on the fingerboard radius before ordering a bridge.

Right-angled Switchcraft sprung toggle selector switch. Switchcraft six terminal Rhythm Circuit slider switch.
    Yep, wouldn't be *too* bothered on the radius, but the CIJ JM I had felt good, so I think I'll be safe and go with 7.25. I am guessing these radius necks are harder to come by but let's see...

I'm not going to install the rhythm circuit. I know the expression "it's better to be looking at it than looking for it" fits here, but I never used it on my last JM. I possibly used it only to tame to really shrill sounds coming out of the guitar that used to bug me...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
    Decide on the fingerboard radius before ordering a bridge.

Yep, wouldn't be *too* bothered on the radius, but the CIJ JM I had felt good, so I think I'll be safe and go with 7.25. I am guessing these radius necks are harder to come by but let's see...

I'm not going to install the rhythm circuit. I know the expression "it's better to be looking at it than looking for it" fits here, but I never used it on my last JM. I possibly used it only to tame to really shrill sounds coming out of the guitar that used to bug me...
    That's reasonable, but I'd still fit the switch and pots just to make it look right, unless going for a pickguard that doesn't have holes. 

I've been tempted to change mine to a series/parallel or phase switch but never got around to it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • The plan would be to get a custom pickguard without the fittings for the top circuit.
  • Well, I have the body sorted for now I think.

Next up will be keeping an eye out for a neck. I have a Custom 77 which has a "slim taper neck" which feels really nice, so I'm not sure how close I could get to that with what I need to get. 

Either way, I'm going to keep an eye out on the used market for the rest of what I need where possible. Something about the idea of recycling stuff that's been used on other guitars appeals to me! 
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    I sprayed and built a Costello style JM for a member here last year, albeit slightly aged. It's not my favourite kind of finish personally, but it came out nicely. Drop me a message if you need any finishing help  =)

Good plan to keep a look out for used Jm parts, you can save a far bit of cash that way. A lot of parts to collect!

Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rexter said:
    I sprayed and built a Costello style JM for a member here last year, albeit slightly aged. It's not my favourite kind of finish personally, but it came out nicely. Drop me a message if you need any finishing help  =)

Good plan to keep a look out for used Jm parts, you can save a far bit of cash that way. A lot of parts to collect!

What a beauty. What neck did you use? 
  • A query. I've been looking at vibratos on ebay, and there are some fender ones for sale for about 30 to 40 dollars. I assume these would be ok for a partsmaster build?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Genuine-Fender-JAPAN-62-Jaguar-Jazzmaster-Vibrato-Tailpiece-026-4248-000/401527331443?hash=item5d7ce4da73:g:eHUAAOSwNeVbfnqt:rk:1:pf:0 ;

Also, could someone recommend some modern tuners for a Jazzmaster? I've yet to get the neck, but didn't like the old style ones that I had on my CIJ one. I prefer modern ones...
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    The Jap ones aren’t any better than the Squier ones - aside from having the trem lock.
    Unless you use that function, save your money and buy a Squier unit.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Oh and bear in mind you also need a trem arm and the mounting screws on top of that purchase price...

• impmann said:
    Oh and bear in mind you also need a trem arm and the mounting screws on top of that purchase price...
    Should I look for a "murican" vibrato? Or would the Squier ones be ok. I've seen comments that the unbranded ones aren't that great?
    The Murican ones are very nice - probably the best before you get into Mastery etc. But they are hard to find at the moment...