Things to do in Cornwall

What's Hot

Comments

• rolls1392 said:
    Not much really. Except for walking and scenery. But then I live here so probably don't appreciate it as I should.
    Hooray someone else on here from Cornwall!!
    We should form a club within the forum... that would be 2 members then....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    rolls1392 said:
    Not much really. Except for walking and scenery. But then I live here so probably don't appreciate it as I should.
    Hooray someone else on here from Cornwall!!
    We should form a club within the forum... that would be 2 members then....

And me for 1 week in September. :)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• EricTheWeary said:

Nah, but the lack of anyone with a Cornish accent when we have been in recent years is quite puzzling.

If you want to hear a genuine Cornish accent I'll get my Mum for you....Serious old school Penzance accent. (Think Pirate style)

When I were a lad you could tell the areas of Cornwall you were in by the accent. Sort of miss that a bit however the bigger gene pool is definitely a plus.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Lexie1 said:
    If you can get anywhere near Launceston do give  The Merlin Glassworks a visit. Unbelievable place and lovely people too.
    isn't that near Eden Project?

There's a nice cycle trail around there and a railway iirc.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485

EricTheWeary said:

Nah, but the lack of anyone with a Cornish accent when we have been in recent years is quite puzzling.

If you want to hear a genuine Cornish accent I'll get my Mum for you....Serious old school Penzance accent. (Think Pirate style)

When I were a lad you could tell the areas of Cornwall you were in by the accent. Sort of miss that a bit however the bigger gene pool is definitely a plus.

same in Devon. The north Devon accent is much softer and more lilting than the south Devon one. And the north Devonians (at least the old ones) all talk really quietly and softly (mind you, that may be cos not one of them is more than 4 foot tall so I may just not be hearing them properly).

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited April 2014
    Jetfire said:
    Drew_fx said:
    Hmm. Drink ale and touch your sister?

Ill have to touch your sister, as I havent got one.

But you do have a mother, right?  Down there it's all the same thing, just maybe no-one has brought it up yet.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Do they have kebabs?

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

Do they have kebabs?

Cornish kebabs - that's a pastie on a stick.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited April 2014
    Depending on your transport arrangements, walk from Rock to Polzeath via Trebetherick, have a picnic lunch on the beach or rocks. Walk back via the clifftop over Brea Hill and along Daymer Bay.  Catch the ferry to Padstow and have tea or dinner. If tea, walk back down the old railway line to Wadebridge. Finish off the evening in a pub of your choice on the way to or near your lodging. Purfick my 'andsome.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

EricTheWeary said:

Having been to Cornwall many, many times over the years ( I live very near the M5 so I get on that and just keep going until I run out of roads) there has been a distinctive loss of the Cornish accent over the period. Seems like every shop there is now run by someone who went to Cornwall to move out of London - why bother when everybody else in the street is from London anyway?

Next time I go I'll be needing the adress of Rockhopper's mom.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    On the accent front, my son and I were laughing at the accents in Jamaica Inn (BBC this week).  It's impossible to make a real Cornish accent sound sinister, so they do this generic cuntry bumpkin/village idiot mumble (as they do in that  lazy drivel The Archers).

You all are quite right however. The Cornish accent is fast disappearing, partly due to immigration and partly through the general improvement in communications which has seen many provincial accents tone down.

Whatever, the Cornwall of today is nothing like the run-down fishing & farming community of my youth (mining having long gone already).  Which is partly why I never go back any more.  The other reasons being traffic, crowds and expense (or rather, the cost of mediocre fare).
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited April 2014
    Whenever I used to go down that way riding the Camel Trail(on bikes not camels :)) ) down to Padstow was always fun.

When we got to Padstow we'd get Rick Steins Fish and Chips then ride back.

Last time I was down that part of the world we had an overnight stop here:

quaint to say the least!

If your down far enough the St Mawes to Falmouth ferry can also make a good bit of fun

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    The best pizza I've ever tasted is at Sam's on the Beach in Polkerris
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Eat pasties.

I love Polperro and St Ives, and if you want a lazy beach day you can't beat Newquay.
    My V key is broken
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    I lived in Truro for a couple of years in the 90s, still go back when I can.  Couple of nice veggie eateries in the centre of Truro.

If your down towards lands end or St Ives strongly recommend the Geevor Tim mine.

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    edited April 2014
    I like to get down to Cornwall every year, I find it stunningly beautiful.

A lot has already been mentioned, but, when I stayed in Marazion(with the lovely St. Michael's Mount), I nipped over to Penzance on a 10min Bus Ride and booked a Day Trip to the Scilly Isles, I highly recommend it. 

OK, it's only a day, but I managed to fit quite a bit in, boat trip round the Isles, lunch, then walk, then little Bus Tour, all in a day. I got the little plane from Land's End Airport and got on the Scillonian Boat coming back, awesome views from the boat. Twas a lovely day. Can't remeber the price, but you will easily find the booking office in Penzance. Depends where you want to stay as well, but that little corner is gorgeous.

Minack Theatre and Porthcurno Beach very nice too.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    edited April 2014
    Avoid Looe if you can. Waaay too touristy now and can get quite punchy at night when the pubs chuck out. Polperro is like a smaller, nicer version of Looe. 

Boscastle is quaint but very small - the museum of witchcraft is an entertaining way to kill an hour or two.

It always rains when I go. Expect to pay through the nose for everything and if you want a 3G signal, you're buggered. :-)
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Mevagissey and Fowey are lovely with some nice eateries.
    Popped into Looe last year, stayed 5 minutes - that was enough for this lifetime!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited April 2014
    Anyone going, best take your passport, they're pulling up the drawbridge.