New Supro Blues King

What's Hot
chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3894
edited January 2019 in Amps
Just noticed these...

https://suprousa.com/bluesking/

They sound/look pretty good from what I’ve found on YouTube.... probably aimed at the Blues Jr market, £599 at Andertons.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    At least it sounds better than the marketing guff suggests... if I wanted ‘face-melting distortion’ - which I don’t - I wouldn’t buy a vintage-styled amp called a Blues King. Or vice versa.

It’s better-sounding and with a better feature set than a Blues Junior too - the FX loop - although it is actually a hybrid amp not all-valve, which may bother some people.

Shame they didn't use their normal colour scheme, the black - especially the grille cloth - looks a bit dull.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    That is odd - old geezer amp with teenage ad copy won't help sales much. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Does 15 watts sound a bit optimistic for a single ended 6L6 output valve?
    Jeremiah said:
    Does 15 watts sound a bit optimistic for a single ended 6L6 output valve?
    It's just about feasible. A 6L6GC has a plate dissipation rating of 30W, and you can get up to half that as power output in single-ended. Transformer efficiency won't be 100% though, so it's pushing it a bit - but not too bad by guitar-amp fudge standards. It depends what THD figure they're quoting too... most likely 'some' ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    OOOooouch - that sounds horrid....
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Red ones are better. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    ICBM said:
    At least it sounds better than the marketing guff suggests... if I wanted ‘face-melting distortion’ - which I don’t - I wouldn’t buy a vintage-styled amp called a Blues King. Or vice versa.

It’s better-sounding and with a better feature set than a Blues Junior too - the FX loop - although it is actually a hybrid amp not all-valve, which may bother some people.

Shame they didn't use their normal colour scheme, the black - especially the grille cloth - looks a bit dull.
    I’d take a Blues Junior IV every day of the week over that, it’s sounds horribly generic.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2328
    ICBM said:

Isn't the fat switch on the BJ solid state? Maybe I misread the ad copy about the Supro but it sounded like only the high gain and boost modes were solid state on the Supro, so I guess it might be all-tube without the boost or high gain mode selected.

Seems a bit dear (assuming it's going to be £599 as mentioned above) for a glorified single-ended amp with a couple of pedals built in, but I guess, to be fair, they deserve credit for being fairly up-front about the solid state stuff in the signal path.
    edited January 2019
    dindude said:

I’d take a Blues Junior IV every day of the week over that, it’s sounds horribly generic.
    I think it sounds better than a Blues Junior - at least until they turn on the high gain, and less generic - it isn't as horribly muddy and compressed.

Dave_Mc said:

Isn't the fat switch on the BJ solid state?
    No - it's switched with a transistor, but all it does is boost gain on one valve stage by switching in a cathode bypass cap.

Dave_Mc said:

Maybe I misread the ad copy about the Supro but it sounded like only the high gain and boost modes were solid state on the Supro, so I guess it might be all-tube without the boost or high gain mode selected.
    I don't think there are enough valves - just one preamp valve, two gain stages. An all-valve amp with a tone stack, reverb mixer section and enough gain to overdrive like that would need at least three, even with no phase inverter.

Dave_Mc said:

Seems a bit dear (assuming it's going to be £599 as mentioned above) for a glorified single-ended amp with a couple of pedals built in, but I guess, to be fair, they deserve credit for being fairly up-front about the solid state stuff in the signal path.
    It's not too bad - all their other stuff was hugely overpriced to begin with, so this was a welcome surprise. They're definitely wise to admit to the solid-state before someone looks inside .

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3894
    Just read this very positive review so thought I’d resurrect this old thread...

https://guitar.com/review/amplifier/supro-1812r-blues-king-12/

Really tempted...
  • There's also a glowing review in this months Total Guitar.

@chrisj1602 I suggest you give in to temptation and report back to us :wink: 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2993
    edited September 2019
    Has anyone bought or tried one of these? They  interest me....
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 219
    Looks cool. They do one with an 8 inch speaker too.

https://suprousa.com/bluesking8/
  • I’m bored with my Katana, I just use it now as a pedal platform. I could do with an amp that does the home quiet thing/pedal platform, but also has some valve dynamics when pushed. A PRRI would be superb but this is half the price, so I am tempted.
  • For a brand who seem to make a big deal of their aesthetics I was very surprised how ugly and utilitarian they managed to make these look. Seems a decent spec but I listened to the demo they put on Facebook for the new 8" one and it sounded awful.

Used to love my 1605R but it was a pricey little bugger
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    edited September 2019
    8 inch speaker? No idea what I’d do with that. 

The aesthetics are good though. Nice looking. 
  • 8 inch speaker? No idea what I’d do with that. 

There’s a 15 watt with 12” or the 1 watt with 8”
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    8 inch speaker? No idea what I’d do with that. 

There’s a 15 watt with 12” or the 1 watt with 8”
    Yea I know. It just seems like the 8 inch, 1 watt is too loud for home use, not loud enough for band use. Maybe decent for recording but ultimately very limited in its application.  
    I've picked up the Supro Blues King 8 for home use.  Got to say I'm pretty fond of it.  It's a 1 watter with master volume.   It really does the old school chicago vibe well.  I've got it cranked and it's not that loud.
    PS - the boost on the Supro Blues King is a loada sh1te!